• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Attribute Sets Contribution

I have successfully installed the contribution and everything is happy, but I am running into an interesting Cart Behaviour I didn't anticipate.

When customers add a product to the cart say...

Standard Shirt with the Option XL

if they want to add another

Standard Shirt with the Option Small then the cart just makes

2 Standard Shirts with the Option Small.

Am I missing something simple? Is there a way to get the cart to add them seperately. I am running MS 2

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry. There was just some corruption in my DB.

All good now.

I have successfully installed the contribution and everything is happy, but I am running into an interesting Cart Behaviour I didn't anticipate.

When customers add a product to the cart say...

Standard Shirt with the Option XL

if they want to add another

Standard Shirt with the Option Small then the cart just makes

2 Standard Shirts with the Option Small.

Am I missing something simple? Is there a way to get the cart to add them seperately. I am running MS 2

This is true, but when you recreate your set, all the products you previously had don't update themselves, correct? Don't you have to go into every product and manually reselect the attribute set? This can get tedious if you have several hundred items

The other problem is that while options don't change often for us, prices do, so modifying pricing would be important for us.

What has version 4 expanded on?

Just peeking to see how thing are going.  Thanks Chris for picking up the ball and keeping things moving forward, sometimes you just need a break. 

Chris- 43 attributes!!! Wow, you must love my contribution!!

Chris' support has been right on!

I read that someone needs a modify capability.  I don't mean any disrespect, but can't you just delete the Attribute Set and re-create it in about the same amount of time, if not faster?  I really think that not having a modify capabilty should not hold any one back from using this.  I picture anyone creating these sets once and then just using them forever with little need to modify them ever, but that is just my short-sightedness.

Just to reiterate what Chris has said, you need to:

1st) Create your Options

2nd) Create the Option Values

before you can create Attribute Sets, this would be the 3rd step. I read that someone started with the 3rd step and was wondering why everything was blank.

I also don't make any efforts to make this multi-lingual. Sorry, but English is all I know.

I'll be around.

Joey

I'm very new too. Is that a program? And where does one find it?

Also, does anyone have any of these files that I can upload and overwrite? All this editing is giving me major bugs! I'm very new to PHP and OSC and so all my files are fresh (after the bugs I reinstalled) so I just need the changes already added. I'm so lost! Sorry.

bbclaus :(

All you need to do is drop the sql file into your sql program. I use myphpadmin.

Once you do that, the tables are automatically created.

Is the max attributes allowed per set 25 and if yes is this due to varchar

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

Good question, I hope everyone is listening.

Changes from version 2.1 to 4.0

Note: I purposely jumped over version 3, because I can't build in it.

1) You can now modify Attribute Sets

2) Attributes are now displayed in a sorted order

3) Attribute Sets are now saved in the database as a "text" datatype which will allow an (almost) unlimited amount of attributes to your sets.

Bug Fix:

Attribute Sets references are also removed from the products_attributes_sets_to_products table too.

I hope this helps those who needed this feature.

Enjoy,

Joey

Joey:

Let me see if I can test it or not! What is the difference between v2.0.1 and v4.0?

Michael

This may help, I got this from http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=74143

[Tutorial] How to use phpMyadmin

Ok, this tutorial will try to explain how to use phpmyadmin to add a table to your database or to modify your database.

I've use phpmyadmin version 2.2.6 for this but it's the same thing with new version : so let's go Wink

1) Go into phpmyadmin, enter your login and password : you should see a screen like this :

http://morpheus.2037.biz/images/index.gif

2) Now, choose your database, on the left part of the screen :

http://morpheus.2037.biz/images/choose.gif

3) Choose your database and clic on the name :

http://morpheus.2037.biz/images/choose2.gif

4) You should see something like this :

Top of the screen :

http://morpheus.2037.biz/images/screen1.gif

Middle of the screen :

http://morpheus.2037.biz/images/screen2.gif

Bottom of the screen :

http://morpheus.2037.biz/images/screen3.gif

5) On the blank text area under the tables, copy/and paste the SQL query you have to execute :

http://morpheus.2037.biz/images/action.gif

6) Clic on the button "Go" (or Execute) :

http://morpheus.2037.biz/images/action2.gif

7) Now, you should see a page like this :

http://morpheus.2037.biz/images/finnish.gif

All is done : the query have been correctly executed

If you get a message error, like this :

http://morpheus.2037.biz/images/error2.gif

Just read the error message and correct the sql query Wink

I hope this help.

Bye

I'm very new too.  Is that a program? And where does one find it?

Also, does anyone have any of these files that I can upload and overwrite? All this editing is giving me major bugs!  I'm very new to PHP and OSC and so all my files are fresh (after the bugs I reinstalled) so I just need the changes already added. I'm so lost! Sorry.

bbclaus :(

Keep in mind that my contribution doesn't replace the need for the Products Attributes section in the Admin area. My Contribution only makes it easier to get rows of data into the products_attributes table, once the rows are in that table you have to manage them just like you would before you installed my contribution. I just hated entering the data into the table for each product.

So what does this mean? It means that if you remove an Attribute Set, it does NOT remove the attributes it put into the products_attributes table, you'll have to use the osCommerce interface to remove them if you want to do that.

You should also be very careful about using the old method of adding attributes for products AND my Attribute Sets tool, I didn't design it to work together, at least not for adding product attributes, so I can't predict the outcome, but why would you want to add attributes the old way once you install my contribution?

Again, If you need to remove attributes from a product you need to do that the old way, my contribution does not help you do that.

I hope things are more clear now.

Enjoy,

Joey

This is true, but when you recreate your set, all the products you previously had don't update themselves, correct? Don't you have to go into every product and manually reselect the attribute set? This can get tedious if you have several hundred items

The other problem is that while options don't change often for us, prices do, so modifying pricing would be important for us.

What has version 4 expanded on?

Joey:

I have installed v4.0 on v2.0.

Your instruction of upgrade from v2 to v4 misses one step to replace the products_attributes_sets.php in catalog/admin .

And I have one problem that if I modify some attribute set, the attributes of other options assigned to this same product will be deleted.

Please check it.

Regards

Michael Lee

Joey:

Your instruction of upgrade from v2 to v4 misses one step to replace the products_attributes_sets.php in catalog/admin .

And I have one problem that if I modify some attribute set, the attributes of other options assigned to this same product will be deleted.

Please check it.

Regards

Michael Lee

Following the above...only the product option whose attributes were modified is left. Other options are gone.

Another small bug, when modifying the attributes, the option name is not shown up.

Michael Lee

This is good stuff!!! I fixed the missing step an uploaded a new Zip file.

In the uploaded zip file I also moved the "lanaguages" folder in the "includes" folder as it should have been since version 1.0 but nobody caught it until now, thanks airtap!

I'll have to look more into the modification problem.

Joey

Joey:

Please check it.

Regards

Michael Lee

Ok, there is something wrong there.

I modified a Set and I changed everything but the name and it worked fine. Can you tell me what you changed (and the values you changed it from and to).

I also see the Option's name under the "Option Name" column when a Set is modified, so I am wondering what is going one with yours.

Airtap took a screenshot and put it in a simple web page to show me what he was looking at, can you take a couple of screenshots and show me? Send me the URL in a personal message, I wouldn't post it here, unless you want to.

Thanks.

Joey

Following the above...only the product option whose attributes were modified is left. Other options are gone.

Another small bug, when modifying the attributes, the option name is not shown up.

Michael Lee

Ok, there is something wrong there. 

I modified a Set and I changed everything but the name and it worked fine.  Can you tell me what you changed (and the values you changed it from and to). 

I also see the Option's name under the "Option Name" column when a Set is modified, so I am wondering what is going one with yours.

Airtap took a screenshot and put it in a simple web page to show me what he was looking at, can you take a couple of screenshots and show me?  Send me the URL in a personal message, I wouldn't post it here, unless you want to.

Thanks.

Joey

my screenshot is here

pa.jpg

I changed the sort order...

michael

I'm not sure I understand this, can you give an example?

Joey:

for example, I have assigned three sets to product 1, color, size and text. After I modify the sort order of the attributes in set "color", though their order indeed updated, but set size and text are deleted(no longer assigned to product 1).

michael

I'm having a similar problem with my option name and value disappearing as soon as I try to edit the set. Initially I thought it was due to my names

example:

25 for $30.00

50 for $60.00

I re-entered the information omitting the $ but am having the same problem. Any ideas?

Picture5.jpg

Everyone:

This is hard because I don't have the same problems, but I uploaded a new version to my site where the only change was in the products_attribtues_sets.php page, so all you have to do is replace the previous version 4 with this version 4.

I didn't attempt to fix anything yet. I added some code so that if you are looking at the "edit" page add to the querystring in the address bar of your browser this "&debug=true" and it will display the sql statements and some critical values. This text should lead me to the problem.

Here is an example of how you add the text to the querystring on the address bar:

http://jjgdesktop/catalog/admin/products_attributes_sets.php?action=edit&attset_id=8

http://jjgdesktop/catalog/admin/products_attributes_sets.php?action=edit&attset_id=8&debug=true

Post your results or anything that looks wrong. My suspiction is that the option_id is returning null.

Joey

I'm having a similar problem with my option name and value disappearing as soon as I try to edit the set.  Initially I thought it was due to my names

example:

25 for $30.00

50 for $60.00

I re-entered the information omitting the $ but am having the same problem.  Any ideas?

Picture5.jpg

Everyone:

I did find one possible error (because of an erroneous assumption on my part). I assumed that the option_id was 1 character when it can easily be greater than 9. If this is truely the problem then the edit will show the option name one options that have a single integer, edit a set that is using a option that was one of you first to create it should have an option_id that is less then 10.

Joey

Everyone:

This is hard because I don't  have the same problems, but I uploaded a new version to my site where the only change was in the products_attribtues_sets.php page, so all you have to do is replace the previous version 4 with this version 4.

I didn't attempt to fix anything yet.  I added some code so that if you are looking at the "edit" page add to the querystring in the address bar of your browser this "&debug=true" and it will display the sql statements and some critical values.  This text should lead me to the problem. 

Here is an example of how you add the text to the querystring on the address bar:

http://jjgdesktop/catalog/admin/products_attributes_sets.php?action=edit&attset_id=8

http://jjgdesktop/catalog/admin/products_attributes_sets.php?action=edit&attset_id=8&debug=true

Post your results or anything that looks wrong.  My suspiction is that the option_id is returning null.

Joey

Everyone:

This is hard because I don't  have the same problems, but I uploaded a new version to my site where the only change was in the products_attribtues_sets.php page, so all you have to do is replace the previous version 4 with this version 4.

I didn't attempt to fix anything yet.  I added some code so that if you are looking at the "edit" page add to the querystring in the address bar of your browser this "&debug=true" and it will display the sql statements and some critical values.  This text should lead me to the problem. 

Post your results or anything that looks wrong.  My suspiction is that the option_id is returning null.

Joey

Joey:

I found out why the option name hasn't shown up in my attribute set edit page. The reason is I am using Chinese whose language id is different from English and I haven't assigned any name to language_id=English.

Since I don't hope I have to assign English name to all my options, is there any quick fix? Thanks!

However, I still encounter the same problem. That is after I edit and update(save) the attribute set, all other sets assigned to this product are still gone....

Michael

Can you please post the debug information so I can see what is killing the query?

On the language issue, somewhere you can set the language to Chinese and that will use another folder for that langauge.

For example:

For English use:

/catalog/admin/includes/languages/english/

For Chinese use:

/catalog/admin/includes/languages/chinese/

I'm not sure if you have to add it to hack it to use Chinese or you could hack your english files to show chinese, that would be the quickest but the least eloquent.

Joey

Joey:

I found out why the option name hasn't shown up in my attribute set edit page. The reason is I am using Chinese whose language id is different from English and I haven't assigned any name to language_id=English.

Since I don't hope I have to assign English name to all my options, is there any quick fix? Thanks!

However, I still encounter the same problem. That is after I edit and update(save) the attribute set, all other sets assigned to this product are still gone....

Michael

I tried to download the new version from your website. What I keep downloading still has the products_attributes_sets.php from December 3 with no debug code in it.

Is www.goodnewsclothing.com/AttributeSets_v4_0.zip the correct link?

Shoot! You're right. I uploaded a new version.

Joey

I tried to download the new version from your website.  What I keep downloading still has the products_attributes_sets.php from December 3 with no debug code in it.

Is www.goodnewsclothing.com/AttributeSets_v4_0.zip  the correct link?

joeyjgarcia-

I installed your contribute with no problems and it works great. You have saved me a lot of time and effort, and I really appreciate it.

I have a question, Is it possible to set the sort order of the attribute drop downs on the product info page ?

Thanks again for the awsome contribution.