• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Attribute Sets Contribution

Hi,

I have one "feature request" for this contribution. Wouldn't it be great to have different model numbers for all the options? I sell knives which are available with many different wooden handles, different sizes.........

If I have only one model number for a product with about 60 possible combinations it's quite difficult to search for the right product.

Is there a contribution or has someone an idea how to create this feature???

Not sure what you mean.

If you want to have model numbers then you only have to configure your system to reflect (for example) that product 1001 + wooden handle is in fact product 10012001 - The wooden handle is therefore not an option any more. The model is the blade + wooden handle = model 10012001 (with options of sizes).

The way I might do this (having given it thirty seconds thought) would be to use excel spreadsheet that could calculate the model numbers (or you could just type them in yourself) and format them correctly to be loaded up using the Easy Populate contribution.

e.g.

Model No. Description

1001 Blade - plus add size set

10012001 Blade + Wooden Handle - plus add size set

10012002 Blade + Plastic Handle - plus add size set

The spreadsheet becomes your stock management tool and provides data for the shop front end.

(you might record the handles 2001 and 2002 separately and make the model numbers dynamically - if you want to box clever).

Whichever way you look at it this (ASP) contribution can't (and never will be able to) produce new model numbers for you; based on my understanding of your request.

Just some off the cuff thoughts before I hit the hay.

regards

Chris.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what you mean.

If you want to have model numbers then you only have to configure your system to reflect (for example) that product 1001 + wooden handle is in fact product 10012001 - The wooden handle is therefore not an option any more. The model is the blade + wooden handle = model 10012001 (with options of sizes).

The way I might do this (having given it thirty seconds thought) would be to use excel spreadsheet that could calculate the model numbers (or you could just type them in yourself) and format them correctly to be loaded up using the Easy Populate contribution.

e.g.

Model No. Description

1001 Blade - plus add size set

10012001 Blade + Wooden Handle - plus add size set

10012002 Blade + Plastic Handle - plus add size set

The spreadsheet becomes your stock management tool and provides data for the shop front end.

(you might record the handles 2001 and 2002 separately and make the model numbers dynamically - if you want to box clever).

Whichever way you look at it this (ASP) contribution can't (and never will be able to) produce new model numbers for you; based on my understanding of your request.

Just some off the cuff thoughts before I hit the hay.

regards

Chris.

ps - this contrib is no longer supported. You should move to the new Attributes Sets Plus thread - and use the new Attributes Sets PLus Contribution!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

I have serious doubt with the entire attributes system.

in my shop, each product has about 25 attributes. Some of them have up to 30 options (i am not creazy, i am selling prescription lenses!)

Now, because the system the way it is now make me save EACH option for EACH attributes for EACH product, my attributes table has about 260 options for each product. is already about to blow.

according to my understanding of the problem, i should build a template of attributues(and related options) then apply it to the selected articles.

so i shouldnt have a product_to_attributesOptions any more, but a product_to_template only.

when i display product_info.php i should load all the information related to the product + all the attributes in the linked template. thats it.

I am wrong? am i missing any important information in my logic?

please advice on this. Please let me know if any one has worked on this before.

thanks

Expresionario.com | Pura Sub-cultura!

• 7 months later...

I just want to say this is working beautiful for me with a fresh install and fixes several issues I had, especially picking the order of products options in pull down menus!

If only I could get the attribute manager to let me see any other page than #1. But that's a whole different story!

• 4 weeks later...

This contribute works great!

I only have one problem like some of you out there... weight.

Somehow going back to every single product and add the weight attribute is so time consuming....

Does any one have a way work around this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• 8 months later...

Hello,

I really like the contribution, however i have been trying to make a couple of simple changes but seem to be having trouble finding what i am looking for,

I have loads of accessories but the prices can vary depending on the product,

I have added attribute sets and then changed the price for each one depending on the product witch is fine,

however if i update a product it will change all my prices for that product back to what ever its set as in the attributes set,

So how would i go about stopping it from updating the price when i update a product,

I know its just a sql statment somewhere that probably uses $_POST form data, but i just cant find it,

Could someone please point me in the right direction,

It would be much appreciated

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I like this contribution and it's really helpful. However, there's a problem with making it work with the FedEx Direct shipping contribution. For some reason, FedEx only quotes shipping rates for the base weight of the product and doesn't add the weight of the selected attributes.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this?

I've tried the "UPS xml and attributes with weights fix" hoping that it might solve the problem, but it doesn't work. In case it's helpful, I'm copying that fix into the code box below, since it's a simple and straightforward modification and hopefully it might point someone in the right direction for solving the FedEx issue.

// IN shopping_cart.php ADD THIS

// BOF add-weight-to-product-attributes with UPSxml mod
// determine total weight of attributes to add to weight of product					
   $attributes_total_weight = 0;
	  if (isset($this->contents[$products_id]['attributes'])) {
		  reset($this->contents[$products_id]['attributes']);
		  $where = ' AND ((';
		  while (list($option, $value) = each($this->contents[$products_id]['attributes'])) {
		  $where .= 'options_id=' . $option . ' AND options_values_id=' . $value . ') OR (';
		 }
		  $where=substr($where, 0, -5) . ')';
		  $attribute_weight_query = tep_db_query('SELECT options_values_weight FROM ' . TABLE_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES . ' WHERE products_id=' . (int)$prid . $where);
			  if (tep_db_num_rows($attribute_weight_query)) { 
				   while ($attributes_weight_array = tep_db_fetch_array($attribute_weight_query)) { 
									  $attributes_total_weight +=  $attributes_weight_array['options_values_weight'];
						 }
				 } // end if (tep_db_num_rows($attribute_weight_query))
		  } // end if (isset($this->contents[$products_id]['attributes']))
// EOF add-weight-to-product-attributes mod

// BEFORE THIS
	  $products_array[] = array('id' => $products_id,

// AND CHANGE THIS
		'weight' => $products['products_weight'],

// TO THIS
		'weight' => $products['products_weight'] + $attributes_total_weight,

I've posted about this in the FedEx contrib topic (as have others who've encountered the same problem) and I'm hoping to find a fix for all of us. You can see that post here.

Please, if anyone can shed light on how to make these contributions work together, I'd be so grateful.

Thanks,

Jade

Edited by jadeb

Sorry, just a correction about my post above.

It's primarily concerned with making FedEx work with the "add weight to attribute" contribution, and the "Attribute Sets" contribution relationship is not part of the conflict. For some reason when I was posting here I mistakenly thought this support thread was for the "add weight to attribute" contribution.

However, others in this thread have expressed an interest in making "add weight" and "attribute sets" more compatible, so perhaps it's not completely inappropriate to have my question here.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello --

I've made the changes to all the files required to make the Attribution Sets work. But when I go to add a new product, the Attribution Sets fields do not appear on the page. It's as if it's not recognizing the php code for those fields... would anyone know why this is happening? I've gone thru all the code several times and I'm convinced I'm not missing anything...

Appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Steve