• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Add PayPal fees

• 1 year later...
Is there any way to add paypal fees ($.30 and 2.9%) to the order? I don't want to use the tax module, because it isn't tax.

You are aware of Paypal's policy towards surcharges ?

Payments (Sending, Receiving, and Withdrawals) Policy

This Policy was last modified on August 23, 2005.

# No Surcharges. Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment. This restriction does not prevent you from imposing a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in other words, the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods).

If you make it too obvious and one of your customers sends a complaint to Paypal you are in trouble. Better to 'hide' it somewhere or just take it yourself as business costs.

Why not charge additional fee? Paypal fee is too high.

You can do that. There are two existing contributions will let you do that.

Just search Paypal fee in the contribution page.

On my website, I charge 2% if customers want to use Paypal.

All of my customers think that's ok. They said many website charge 3%, relatively my website is very nice.

That save me hundreds of dollars and no customers complain that.

You are aware of Paypal's policy towards surcharges ?

If you make it too obvious and one of your customers sends a complaint to Paypal you are in trouble. Better to 'hide' it somewhere or just take it yourself as business costs.

Actually, this only applies to CREDIT CARD purchases, note the rules only apply to VISA/MC/AMX they didn't say you could charge a surcharge for payments funded using echeck or paypal balances.

However, the rest of the statement is correct regarding surcharges. I don't know how some retailers get away with it, but in California and many states including the state I live in allow retailers to surcharge for debit transactions which are anywhere from .50cents to $1.25 thats completely different obviously as you can't enter your PIN online.

Thanks for those tips ebayer, but I think you missed wheeloftime's post. Read above, PayPal has a policy forbidding your suggested method.
I think the trick is in the wording. You shouldn't charge an extra fee for using PayPal but, instead, give a discount for using a different method of payment. When I had a physical store, I contacted Visa and asked if I could charge extra when customers used their credit cards. I was told absolutely not. But then the operatore went on the say that is was perfectly fine to give discounts for cash purchases. The result is the same and giving a discount sounds better than charging a fee.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I think the trick is in the wording. You shouldn't charge an extra fee for using PayPal but, instead, give a discount for using a different method of payment. When I had a physical store, I contacted Visa and asked if I could charge extra when customers used their credit cards. I was told absolutely not. But then the operatore went on the say that is was perfectly fine to give discounts for cash purchases. The result is the same and giving a discount sounds better than charging a fee.

Jack

Well you have a point there, if I offered the ability to accept credit cards and if they paid by eCheck (EFT/ACH) I could give them a discount.