• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Multi Shop, Multi Domain

KennethS

Hi all,

Ive scoured this board for help with this but to no avail. I have about 6 domains, gonna host them all on the same VPS. I have 1 IP address only. I have a limited amount of money (Not a corporation :P) to spend on SSL and here are the problems/options I face:

1) I need checkout processes and account info to be secure on each shop.

2) I need the little lock to appear and make the customers warm and fuzzy inside.

3) I need for the wonderful customer hewing popup "Anyone can read this in transit" to never appear because the cert is goin somewhere its not.

4) A Wildcard Cert is possible, unlimited sub-domains.

5) Need the customer to be able to go back and forth seemlessly.

Thanks in advance,

Kenneth

Kenneth S

--------------

Customer "Are you a real programmer?"

Me "No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night"

Why not just share the cert? If it is on a linux/apache server you should be able to share the cert accross any domain on the server. That's what I do. It saves us all the expense of individual certs plus only a single server cert to maintain. You can even install the cert on a generic domain so all the sites can use it without it leading to a seemingly seperate store.

Shared cert paths are usually something like https://securedomain.com/~otherdomainusername which is almost effortless to do as it is just a path. No security alerts or mess like that. Moving back and forth is easy as well. This works so well because "technicaly" you are on the domain the certificate is for.

Hope that helps you out.

That is a good idea and a quick fix, but the sites Im setting up need to be seperate from the corporate entity itself. I need each site to have just a domain "ex: www.whatwesell.com and www.thatothershop.com".

Is there possibly a way to trick the browser into thinking its not in a domain path?

KennethS

Kenneth S

--------------

With a shared certificate all the sites would have their own domain, however, when a user clicked on a secure link (i.e. checkout) they would automatically be redirected to the secure domain, then back when they were done. If this is not an option, then you would have to get certificates for each site. A wildcard cert is only valid across subdomains, and from the way it sounds you do not have different subdomains, you actually have different domain names.

Will this work?

If I setup the directory structure like below on the VPS, then direct the domains to the structre as above, and then instead of having SSL just go to a server, but an actual directory alias.

These 2 should be the same?

http://www.securedomain.com/Subdirectory1/

http://www.domainA/

-->Directory1-V (www.securedomain.com)

-->Subdirectory1 (www.domainA.com)

-->Subdirectory2 (www.domainB.com)

-->Subdirectory3 (www.domainC.com)

Sorry if its a bit confusing, been pondering over ways to this for a while now.

KennethS

Kenneth S

--------------

Archived