• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

osCommerce

devosc

The other problem with it all, is because we don't know exactly what's occurring in terms of core development makes things difficult to determine where things fit in.

The mere fact that I raised this thread of issues, shows that I'm interested in seeing a slight better albeit fairer environment.

For what it's worth osC is no longer a primary focus, when it was it was because of the enjoyment of doing the things that ones like doing best.

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand." -- Albert Einstein

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well in that other post maybe I didn't ask the right question or make the right suggestion, about the license being per domain.

Alot of effort goes into customizing osCommerce, people are willing to pay you to allow them to remove/change the copyright for their domain. For them and in some cases it could be cruicial for them to have their own public copyright, they're trying to run a business. And I can personally say that for one to of had to customized osCommerce to specifically suit their needs it is can be heart breaking for them to not beable to use their own copy right and even pay you for the authorization to do so. Yet you say you need money.

As mentioned a commercial licence isnt a quick fix.. there are a number of issues that would need to be discussed in detail between the team before this could even be considered.

Mark you either doing this intentionally or you just can't see. I made suggestions, I'm trying, what the end result is, as said earlier, is not clear.

I was trying to get you to think how these suggestions would work in real life... which is why I asked for details on how you think the accredited member / advertising could work to ensure its as fair as possible.

Mark Evans

osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

---------------------------------------

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

Sparky: The advertising is very easy to accomplish. Take the value of what Pair gives (on a monthly basis). Let's say that is $100 [example].

Now you charge anyone who wants to advertise $100 per month. Their banners now rotate along with the Pair Banner.

It couldn't be simpler, really. The only issue is what Pair will say about it when they learn that their advertising has effectively been diluted by others.

Now you have your free? webserver and b/width from Pair. And you now have extra income from banner advertisers.

Winners all around. Except Pair.

reap the rewards of that effort? ... I was often contacted directly by people who had read my posts and felt that I could help them with their businesses. Does that not happen here?

People often contact via PM and email, but most expect to have work done for free.

Eg, a recent one, "you made this great testimonial contribution, but what I need to be able to do is allow people to input their testimonial along with a mug shot of themself..."

The person expected this work to be done for free and wanted it by the weekend !!??!!

are you certain that these people don't post in the forums? Given that advertising your osC-related business is not allowed, and that user names don't necessarily match a business name, perhaps they really are active, but under a user ID you don't recognize.

Quite true.

Because it gives you an added level of credibility

I understand that, but now that Os has gone down the route of Adwords, we no longer need credibility, do we? Or do we?

... osC decides to take control of banner ads themselves, they will take participation/contributions into consideration and set rates accordingly. ...

Agreed.

Now you charge anyone who wants to advertise $100 per month. Their banners now rotate along with the Pair Banner.

It couldn't be simpler, really. The only issue is what Pair will say about it when they learn that their advertising has effectively been diluted by others.

Easy solution: one banner at the top, one at the bottom. (Or make the osC logo smaller like on the KB section, and you could fit in two at the top, two at the bottom.)

Terry

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

The mere fact that I raised this thread of issues, shows that I'm interested in seeing a slight better albeit fairer environment.

For what it's worth osC is no longer a primary focus, when it was it was because of the enjoyment of doing the things that ones like doing best.

I understand the concerns of contributors and community members wanting more praise for their work - until recently all the praise generated was done on ones own behalf through the community forums, and will obviously remain to be the primary method of building up ones own reputation.

A jump was made in this area with the new Interviews section - however this also has its dark side with numerous people forwarding us their interview answers and others possibly feeling rejected when not being contacted.

It is not our intention to harm the community with the services provided through the support site, but to provide bonuses to kickstart the motivations people have so that they continue doing the things they like doing best.

As already mentioned, with such a large community, it is impossible to make everyone happy when a change occurs - it's even possible to upset people when no changes occur ;) Whatever changes have so far happened (since the beginning of the project) have not been "just for the fun of it", but have been made to meet the demands of the growing community, and have been discussed and agreed on by the team. This assures that whatever changes are made, that the changes are fair for the team and for the community as a whole.

The change regarding the Google advertisement was made to help the project financially to improve the services provided.

Whatever was generated by donations was always put back to the project, and whatever is being generated with the Google advertisement will also be put back to the project. And whatever will be generated in future will also be put back to the project.

Obviously whatever is currently being generated is peanuts but does help cover the expenses, and will be expanded on in the future when we ourselves have given something back to the community (2.2 Milestone 3).

The replies made should be in the "community" sense - if this is being mixed with "personal" issues, then it may be better to deal with it directly with a team member.

:heart:, osCommerce

Archived