• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

ModYourCar.com.au - heaps more changes...

MYC267

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In FireFox your shopping_cart box is giving a error:

http://www.modyourcar.com.au/advanced_sear...hp?car_model=78

If it doesnt appear rightaway click the link "Search Results" again...

This is the error:

function couponpopupWindow(url) { window.open(url,'popupWindow','toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,re

sizable=ye

I.E. is OK.

Greetingzz

P.S.

Nice female team member :blush:

I can not reproduce that on my Firefox at all and to be honest I can't seewhy you should get that unless the page hasn't loaded properly? I checked the code as well...

I did make a change however I don't think it would have anything to do with that but please give it another whirl for me.

Thanks!

Dan

AHA! I found what was causing the error.

It has to do with Norton Internet Security.

When I disable Norton it works fine!

No idea if other firewalls will give also such errors...

Greetingzzz

• 2 weeks later...

ahhhh excellent.. so it wasn't my site (totally).

I have already started working on some new enhancements to the site.... I'll keep you all posted.

In fact there's already some changes, mainly to the front of the site.

The problem I am faced with is having almost 4000 products means they are burried within categories and it can be hard for someone to find what they are looking for. That's the reason I built the car make/model/engine searching etc.... what I have done now though is brough that out to the front of the shop where customers can select what model car they have or engine and it will drill down into the product to show them what parts are available etc...

I still have some work to do around this to make it just that little more special but that's coming soon.

Once my latest enhancements are done (top secret), I'll let you all know!

Dan

OK I have launched a big new enhancement! It's our GROUP BUY capability... at the moment I have only dont the "catalog" side of it and will start working on the admin side of it shortly.

Basically we can create group buy products that require a min order for the group by to proceed. Enough explaining... we have a group buy categor you can see at http://www.modyourcar.com.au/?cPath=309&aff=osc

But the group buy products will also be linked to their normal categories as well.

Let me know what you think pleas!!!

Dan

I think you have alot of features. And by alot, I mean a LOT.

How long are you going to keep adding features and stuff on your store? I remember seeing this months ago and thinking that it was alright, and now its really starting to look crowded.

Ricers really aren't that bright for the most part, you think you might confuse your target audience?

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

Very nice store. The only[\i] thing I can think of to suggest is custom error pages.

Always BACK UP your files and your database before making any changes. Before asking questions, check out the Knowledge Base. Check out the contributions to see if your problem's solved there. Search the forums.

Useful threads: Store Speed Optimization How to make a horrible shop Basics for design change How to search the forums

Useful contributions: Easypopulate Fast, Easy Checkout Header Tag Controller

@ Chance

Hah, you're quite funny and full of yourself to think only 'ricers' purchase automotive performance parts. Or that those within the scene aren't 'too smart' - what kind of stereotype is that? :(

The site looks great, perhaps one of the nicest OSC sites I've ever seen made - good work and don't mind some of the comments of those who just say things to say them.

I've been involved in the import scene for 7 years now and have seen every major site from Import Auto Salon to Mod-a-Car to JDMHondaParts, the list goes on and on. This is just as nice if not nicer than these.

I think you'll do quite well.

Cheers for the feedback guys.... yes there's HEAPS of features on the site but I feel they are not only needed but demanded by customers. On top of that it's those extra features and services that set us apart from our competitors and is why we do quite well.

Glad you like... and to be compared to some of those major sites is quite "touching"... ;)

Custom error pages are on the cards.... thank you!

Dan

• 4 months later...

great store.. if not a bit complicated to a newbie net user..

BUT , cna i ask how you did the categories and make/model of car combined? Did you use the a multiple category box contrib?

I'm trying to achieve similar.. and are doing so by using the advanced java search, and by having the product catalog as manufacturers, and the make and model of car in the categories.

like this..

www.demo.cadsnet.co.uk

but how did you do yours? How did you get round the problem of having one product linked to all cars? I've found a workaround for this as well but it has one or two flaws...

Yes ModYourCar is feature rich but I havent found that newbie users have too much problems. If they do theres the HOW TO SHOP page they can read (link at the top) or they usually call or send an enquiry through and I help them through the process.

Everyone asks about my year/make/model functionality. Its got nothing to do with categories.... each product belongs to a category like any normal osc shop.

What I have is the ability to associate products to car types as well. Even multiple car types to same same product. I call it our Car Fitting Guide. I custom built it all.

Dan

I designed and built the site from the stock osC design. I have experience with this sort of thing.

The best thing to do is start with something then build on it. Choose colour scheme first then run with it.

Top looking site mate. Very impressed. As a newb I was wondering, when you mention, I have experience with this sort of thing, what are you referring too. html and php coding? database design? graphic design?

I just want to get a feel for where I should be spending my time educating myself rather than watching Springer in the wee hours of the morning.

Regards

Neil

Neil

I guess I was referring to the whole lot including how to make something like this work and actually generate sales so the whole e-commerce thing as well.

Want some advice.... READ..... read everything you can on e-commerce. Find e-books, go to your local technical bookshop and buy books on the subject. READ READ READ!

Dan

What I have is the ability to associate products to car types as well. Even multiple car types to same same product. I call it our Car Fitting Guide. I custom built it all.

have you never felt the urge to release this as a contrib? I know it would be a popular one ....

It is not a make/model based on attributes.... my functionality is totally new and does not use any existing functionality. Its totally custom built.

Its integrated tightly into the site and is one of the things that sets our site apart from the rest so I wouldnt release a contribution for it. Sorry.

Dan

okay thats fair enough.. i like the idea of the search by make/model on the front page.. but the advanced search doesnt seem to have a make/model/engine relationship... ie you search through all engines rather than just the one for your car...

did you not want this? just a question.. not a dig..

It is not a make/model based on attributes.... my functionality is totally new and does not use any existing functionality. Its totally custom built.

Its integrated tightly into the site and is one of the things that sets our site apart from the rest so I wouldnt release a contribution for it. Sorry.

Wow!... thats really in the Spirit of open source....NOT

What is your purpose here if you do not wish to contribute?

All external solutions (contributions) discussed in the forums must be freely available under the GNU General Public License (GPL), and must also be freely available for download at the Contributions section on the osCommerce support site.

Postings regarding contributions that are not released under the GNU General Public License, or are not freely available, may be deleted without prior notification.

This rule applies to the My Store section also (read the guidelines).

Well, if you wont release it, then somebody else is gonna develop it... you can be sure of that :-"

Good luck"

Matti :D

Matti thats fine and I appreciate that. I know what the rules are but if someone is going to ask about it I am going to give them a straight answer. I wasnt the one that brought it up it was that member.

If you didnt notice I am a community sponsor so I choose to contribute in other ways....

My purpose here was the purpose everyone else has... to get feedback on my shop.

Dan

Archived