• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO Sitemap contribution - Important Issues

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently added the SEO Sitemap contribution to a clients site. After doing some research on SEO I came across This Forum and am starting to have some second thoughts. Seems like new news so perhaps some of the other OSCommerce sites utilizing this contribution have yet to see if they will be effected. Before I rewrite the contribution to be a little more GoogleBot friendly I thought I would get some of your thoughts on this issue.

I tried copy and paste with the same result.

Actually, no I haven't solved that problem yet.

Any suggestions?

Should I be able to see my site map page?

Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.

Everyone might want to know that onMouseover Javascript redirects are now being penalized by google. :ph34r: :angry:

Google Cracks Down

Google has always stated that they take attempts to manipulate their rankings by purposely providing deceptive information to their spiders very seriously and that they are always on the lookout for new techniques employed by Web site owners to artificially inflate rankings. According to threads taking place in several popular search engine marketing forums, it seems that Google has adjusted their algorithms to catch a batch of sites using a JavaScript technique known as "onmouseover."

The idea behind this technique is to create a keyword stuffed Web page that will rank well, but that doesn't really contain readable content. A JavaScript command is placed within the body tag of the Web page and works to redirect the user to another Web site the second their mouse rolls over any portion of the page. The redirect happened so quickly that few Internet users would notice the change. Site visitors that are savvy enough to suspect the technique was being used could take the time to navigate through the browser with their keyboard and view the page's source code, where the JavaScript command could quickly be recognized.

More www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/001614.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble with my install of SEO Sitemap. I'm brand new to all this programming jargon, its been a 'learn as you go' process, but this is the first contribution I haven't been able to figure out.

I've gotten this far:

My two php pages show up like they are supposed to.

My two html pages show up like they're supposed to.

Here's where I'm stuck:

The links on the html pages don't go anywhere when they are clicked on.

The index.html page is blank.

Can someone tell me where to find httpd.conf. As I couldn't find it, I haven't yet made the 'override' change that the instructions ask for, which is probably my problem!!!

Thanks, Patti

Can someone tell me where to find httpd.conf. As I couldn't find it, I haven't yet made the 'override' change that the instructions ask for, which is probably my problem!!!

Thanks, Patti

The only problem is that most hosting providers will not give you access to view or edit the httpd.conf file since it is a part of the server's Apache installation and affect all the server accounts, not only yours (if u r on shared hosting like most people are). Maybe the best thing to do is to contact your hosting support and ask them about it.

Did I help you? Click "Like" or "Thanks"! It's free of charge. :)

My contributions:
Total Configuration (newly updated 07/2018, for both osC 2.2 and 2.3.4.1 BS Frozen CE)
User Tracking with Admin 1.0 (newly updated 07/2018)
FedEx - Web Services v9, FAQ System , Who's Online Enhancement, Order Editor, MoneyBookers IPN, Ship in Cart (MS2), Admin Products Paging, 
Margin Report v1.00, 2Checkout INS / IPN (Instant Notification System) for MS2.2, Visitor Web Stats, Time Zone Offset - Adjust to match your location,  Category Meta Tags

Thanks! I did contact my host and this is their response!

"Please be advised that "httpd.conf. AllowOverride All" is a file that would

have to be created on your end and then uploaded to your space on our serv

er. You are welcome to try installing your contribution however it is not

guaranteed that httpd.conf. AllowOverride All is going to work on our serve

r as this feature is not widely supported."

Any idea on how to create it? Or what level to upload it to the server?

Any help appreciated,Patti

• 3 weeks later...

hmm, ive had 3 solid days at this now and no luck.. if aNYONE could help me I would be so relieved...

I have put the files up... thats no problem

adjusted the sitemap_includes.php

Now the .httpaccess......

This bugga just wont work, I get 500 errors constantly on every page in the site. Now then, Ive tried to do it throgh uploading, and my hosting companies file manager (create file etc) but STILL no luck...

Ive tried all 3 versions, and no luck...

Ive contacted my hosting company and they say the httpd.conf isnt accessable by myself, BUT the httpdocs should work...

I removed word wrap on the uploaded ones, no luck...

I was told if I modify files to CHMOD 775 this might help? Any truth in that?

I also CHMOD my .htaccess to 644 ... no luck

Im really really stuck..

This is the .htaccess file I use in my catalog directory, the site works fine for me now

RewriteEngine On

Options +FollowSymlinks

DirectoryIndex index.html index.php

AddType application/x-httpd-php php php4 php3 html htm

RewriteRule ^sitemap_categories.html$ sitemap_categories.php [L]

RewriteRule ^sitemap_products.html$ sitemap_products.php [L]

RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index.php?cPath=$1_$2_$3_$4_$5_$6 [L]

RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index.php?cPath=$1_$2_$3_$4_$5 [L]

RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index.php?cPath=$1_$2_$3_$4 [L]

RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index.php?cPath=$1_$2_$3 [L]

RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index.php?cPath=$1_$2 [L]

RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index.php?cPath=$1 [L]

RewriteRule ^product_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$  product_info.php?&products_id=$1 [L]

try using this and see if it fixes your problem

Its not a computer its a life management system!

I would suggest getting a new host

eg my hosting services give you oscommerce installed at the click of a button, ready to modify away. I would be looking for someone else if I were you if you are looking at doing this type of stuff with your websites.

Its not a computer its a life management system!

I'm trying to use the SEO sitemap contribution as well. I can't get very far.

After I upload the files:

sitemap_categories.php

sitemap_products.php

sitemap.js

index.html

includes/sitemap_includes.php

includes/application_top_sitemap.php

includes/application_bottom_sitemap.php

I get this error when trying to visit sitemap_categories.php to check the upload:

Fatal error: Class messagestack: Cannot inherit from undefined class tableblock in /usr/local/www/data-dist/secretsunveilled.com/catalog/includes/classes/message_stack.php on line 20

The installation of OSCommerce works fine. no errors. haven't changed any settings, just uploaded the files listed above as the instructions stated and tried to visit the one page.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, everyone. I have a site with several thousand products. I was wondering if there was a way to modify the SEO Sitemap contribution to only include about 90 links, then start on the next page. From what I understand, some of the major engines don't index pages with more than 100 links and/or greater than 100kb in size. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JP

This contribution only creates an index page redirecting .html requests to the appropraite php pages. It creates no duplicate content that I can see.

Kenneth S

--------------

Customer "Are you a real programmer?"

Me "No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night"

• 3 weeks later...
I'm trying to use the SEO sitemap contribution as well. I can't get very far.

After I upload the files:

sitemap_categories.php

sitemap_products.php

sitemap.js

index.html

includes/sitemap_includes.php

includes/application_top_sitemap.php

includes/application_bottom_sitemap.php

I get this error when trying to visit sitemap_categories.php to check the upload:

Fatal error: Class messagestack: Cannot inherit from undefined class tableblock in /usr/local/www/data-dist/secretsunveilled.com/catalog/includes/classes/message_stack.php on line 20

The installation of OSCommerce works fine. no errors. haven't changed any settings, just uploaded the files listed above as the instructions stated and tried to visit the one page.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks.

kdp80, did you ever find a solution for this? i have the same error.

macman

For those who are having message_stack errors, goto line 214 in application_top_sitemap and comment those lines out. I am pretty sure you don't need them. After that everything works good.

macman

One last post... i did get this to work... a few things for all of us to think about:

- is this really ok with google, the whole javascript redirect

-- if not, we can have google not hit this sitemap (easy to do code wise)

-- another idea, it is possible to push all or any use-agent to the sitemap file by using the mod rewrite - why not do this?

- let's solve the 100kb issue... let's use splitpage results to split this up...

- has anyone thought of using the rewrite mod as my .htaccess file has? visit the website, then categories and product links to see what i mean. www.buydigicams.com (live store - be kind)

here is the code i have in my .htaccess file... i do not understand this code. a programmer wrote it for us... so if your store breaks don't blame me... do save a copy of your original .htaccess file...

let's see if we can implement this code with the seo sitemap...

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

# RewriteBase /~quux/

# debug

#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

#RewriteRule ^(.*)$ seo_debug.php?path=$1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

# product name.html

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteRule ^([^/]+)\.html product_info.php?product_name=$1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

# product /cat/manuf/name.html

RewriteRule ^(.+)\.html product_info.php?product_def=$1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

# product definition: manufacturer + name + [category]

#RewriteRule ^([^/]+)\.html product_info.php?product_def=$1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

# categories name

#RewriteRule ^([^/]+) index.php?cPath_name=$1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

#RewriteRule (.+)/([^/]+) index.php?cPath_name=$1/$2&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

# just a product name

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule ^(.+)/?$ index.php?cPath_name=$1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

Hello Everyone,

I have installed this mod, and everything looks good. No errors, etc, but when typed in the address bar

/sitemap_categories.html -------> I got /index.php

/sitemap_products.html ----------> I got index.php

/sitemap_categories.php --------> index.php

/sitemap_products.php -----------> index.php

/index.html ------------------------> index.php

So everything is redirected to index.php. The cart itself works as usual.

here is the link

http://www.apadirect.com/demo/index.php

I have used the .htaccess file as indicated, but no sure if it is ok.

Thanks for your time.

Far