• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO Sitemap contribution - Important Issues

I just read Google's interview saying:

Google: "Basically, Google's position is that we prefer no hidden links, no hidden text, no automatic tools used for positioning, and no cloaking. We prefer that Googlebot get the exact same page that users see. In general, you can assume that we're as conservative as possible. We don't like hidden links/text in divs/layers/iframes/css, or links that are inconspicuous or punctuation, for example. Similarly, we don't like cloaking or sneaky redirects in any form, whether it be user agent/ip-based, or redirects through javascript, meta refreshes, 301/302's, or 100% frames." More details are available at: Guidelines and SEO Issues. Report spam: [email protected]

AFAIK the SEO sitemap does use js redirect and maybe more of google's "don't like" techniques.

Is that true, or am I misunderstanding something? If it is true - will it badly affect google's indexing/pagerank in any way contrary to the mod's real purpose?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know the answer?

• 3 weeks later...

I now use this type of SEO optimization incl. java redirect on 2 php/mysql sites and the improvement in the depth of spidering by google is enormous. Without these types of SEO pages, google simply will not find all the pages hidden deep within a database-driven site. With these SEO pages, it will find them.

At least for now, this type of SEO works wonders.

To see the effectiveness, go to google and use the following search "gloss site:perfectproof.com"

Almost all of the hundreds of results have a URL of the form: product_XXXXX.html

Every one of these pages comes from the product sitemap generated by the SEO contribution.

I would like to say that this optimization worked like a charm. I modified it for my own uses. You can try it by searching for: guitar site:richardsmusic.net

I got to learn a lot about Apache's Rewrite Engine.. the hard way ;)

where is support for this product? i can not get the translation to php to work, ie if i click on a product link in the sitemap_products gives page not found. thought html was supposed to be translated. the path for the product is right, if i go in manually to the catalog folder and put in the path with php extension

SEO Sitemap Fix revised .htaccess file.

The other one did not work, After hours of searching the forums I finally just wrote one. This will also make all your .php files accessable as .html files. Hope this helps.

Comments?

Edited by Johnson

By the way

Here is a link to the alt_htaccess file in contributions

19 Jun 2004 - Alternative .htaccess file

Heres the code

RewriteEngine on
Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} ^(.*)\.html$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %1.php -f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} (GET|HEAD|POST)
RewriteRule ^(.*)\.html$ $1.php [L]
RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*$
RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*$
RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index$
RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index.php?cPath=$1_$
RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index.php?cPath=$1_$2 [L]
RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index.php?cPath=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^product_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$  product_info.php?&products_id=$1 [L]

Disregard last code

it will have undesirable effects even though it appears to work.

Sorry for the confusion.

Comments Russ McCabe

# Change filename to .htaccess
# Remove these comments 
# Upload in ASCII mode
# chmod .htaccess 644
# Make sure in httpd.conf AllowOverride All is in <Directory> for your website
# Good Luck.
RewriteEngine on
Options +FollowSymlinks
DirectoryIndex home.html home.php index.php index.html
AddType application/x-httpd-php php php4 php3 html htm
RewriteRule ^sitemap_categories.html$ sitemap_categories.php [L]
RewriteRule ^sitemap_products.html$ sitemap_products.php [L]
RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index.php?cPath=$1_$2_$3_$4_$5_$6 [L]
RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index.php?cPath=$1_$2_$3_$4_$5 [L]
RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index.php?cPath=$1_$2_$3_$4 [L]
RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index.php?cPath=$1_$2_$3 [L]
RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index.php?cPath=$1_$2 [L]

ok, this works, just make sure that there is no wrapping! else you get 500 internal server errors.

Edited by Mibble

Try This the 500 error is because your .htaccess file is jostled

RewriteEngine on
Options +FollowSymlinks
DirectoryIndex home.html home.php index.php index.html
RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index.php?cPath=$1_$2_$3_$4_$5_$6 [L]
RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index.php?cPath=$1_$2_$3_$4_$5 [L]
RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index.php?cPath=$1_$2_$3_$4 [L]
RewriteRule ^category_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ index.php?cPath=$1_$2_$3 [L]

Hope it works!

I just replaced the htaccess content with this new one, and it seem to work (the original one worked too) but the html files also have session ID added, while the original contribution htaccess didn't add session ID to the files. Is that intentional?

I'm not getting session id with the new .htaccess. Disregard the first set of code I posted. It did have undesirable effects but the last works great. And be sure to remove word wrap to avoid Internal Server Errors.

ok after removing the comments in sitemap.js is the sitemap_products.html supposed to be visible or is the routing now performed at that time.

I'm not getting session id with the new .htaccess. Disregard the first set of code I posted. It did have undesirable effects but the last works great. And be sure to remove word wrap to avoid Internal Server Errors.

I am using the second code, not the first, and I still see session ID. What am I doing wrong?

ok after removing the comments in sitemap.js is the sitemap_products.html supposed to be visible or is the routing now performed at that time.

sitemap_products.html should not be visible the redirect works for me viewing

any .html files

I am using the second code, not the first, and I still see session ID. What am I doing wrong?

You see a session id after the html? Please clarify, or post the url as you see it.

You see a session id after the html? Please clarify, or post the url as you see it.

http://www.MySite.com/index.html?osCsid=dc...433a60c3802b9de

Hi I am having trouble with this contribution, it all appears to work fine, and I am using your .htaccess file, but when I do a spider test at this site:-

http://www.summitmedia.co.uk/Marketing/index.htm

using the spider simulator, I put the url to my shop in which is:-

www.yourekidding.biz/catalog

It comes back with a bad report as it seems to stuff the url up somehow in the check and it I get no descriptions, keyword or anything back in results

any ideas as to why this is happening would be good

Its not a computer its a life management system!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

i was having no problem with the sitemap_categories.html or sitemap_products.html viewing after install (they were 100% ok)

But for index.html it wouldn't show correctly and include the sitemap_includes.php info i.e SITEMAP_DOMAIN etc (if it had worked correctly it would have included the SITEMAP_DOMAIN details etc without a problem)

i have to change the index.html to home.php and change my htaccess file to include one more line :

RewriteRule ^index.html$ home.php [L]

i changed of course the index.html to name home.php before i edited the htaccess with the above line.(home.php was used to steer clear of conflicts lol)

As stated before the sitemap_xxxxx.html was working 100% as per the instructions but the index.html just never worked for me :(

doing the above actions rectified this and i hope that others might use this info to good use too :)

WBR

Nicky Duffy

www.phantomgsm.com

you can see the SEO Sitemap working at www.phantomgsm.com/index.html

www.phantomgsm.com/sitemap_categories.html

www.phantogsm.com/sitemap_products.html

any questions > [email protected] pls mention this modification :)

p.s i also had to modify the includes/configure.php with FILENAME_INDEX value (index.php) to make this work 100%

Edited by PhantomGSM

Here is the file in question:

RewriteEngine on

Options +FollowSymlinks

DirectoryIndex home.htm home.php index.php index.htm

RewriteRule ^product_([1-9][0-9]*)\.html$ product_info.php?&products_id=$1 [L]

What needs to be changed?

Thanks for your patience!

Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.