• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Things I've broken.... and wondering how to fix :)

Here is my OSC site:

http://www.collectiveindustries.com/osc/

(actually a revamp of a site with a custom php ordering script)

http://www.flyerfaucet.com

I've only added the contribs for file uploads, and sts... I think I've gotten the hang of most of everything. Like most I'm an HTML person, with minimal PHP/mysql experience.

here are a few small problems I've come across- so far everyting else, I've foudn the solution via wiki or searching the forums..

Anyone here that can help ? :) !!!

First....When deleted the default catalog items my category list on the left dissapeared. You can see it's the one with the empy box.. It shows up every once in a while, but then dissapears again as soon as I click on anything or refresh. I haven't quite figured out how or why it shows back up. That's a really important feature to me, because the few products we have would be listed on the left hand side. I guess I could link to them statically in the sts_template but I the catalog list feature should work.

Secondly...When I deleted the banner for oscommerce and added my own, now none of them show up. The OScommerce banner worked normally (I am using STS's $banner tag) Anyone know how to make the banners come back? I tried the obvious(e.i making it active), and I'm still stumped

Thirdly...Also, I'm somewhat unaware how to add more site pages, I read that there is a contribution- though I would assume it would be as simple as copying one of the others and filling your information in the content areas. I found when editing pages, it would sometime default to things like HEADLINE_TAG etc and wouldn't show anything I wrote. I noticed that it was mostly on things with a ' , but even then after replacing those all with /' it still sometimes wouldn't work.

and lastly(for now) I also inadvertantly deleted the United States shipping country when deleting the rest, it took the Zones with it. Can someone possibly help me dump the zones back in somehow?

Also, Where to I go to delete the new products for may stuff on the front page? and... Is it possible to add more to the contact forms? e.i Address, ect...

I can think of a few more questions - but i'll save them for after I've firgured these out.. The forum is so positive and helpful -I absolutely love OSC, and when I learn a little more about php and not just hacking up other peoples code- I could probably think of a few things that would benefit others... :)

Cheers,

Brian

No one can help me? I'm sooo excited to finish this - and i"m like 90% there. I've checked the forum like 100 times in anticipation for someone to reply.. :(

I've searched high and low through the forums....

Essentially I guess the only real problem is that the category list isn't showing up..

THat drives me nuts!

Brian

First....When deleted the default catalog items my category list on the left dissapeared. You can see it's the one with the empy box.. It shows up every once in a while, but then dissapears again as soon as I click on anything or refresh. I haven't quite figured out how or why it shows back up. That's a really important feature to me, because the few products we have would be listed on the left hand side. I guess I could link to them statically in the sts_template but I the catalog list feature should work.

Unfortunatly I don't know this one

Secondly...When I deleted the banner for oscommerce and added my own, now none of them show up. The OScommerce banner worked normally (I am using STS's $banner tag) Anyone know how to make the banners come back? I tried the obvious(e.i making it active), and I'm still stumped

Where it asks for class you must use the same class that is called for in the following command in includes/footer.php

<?php
 if ($banner = tep_banner_exists('dynamic', '468x50')) {
?>

You can change 468x50 to anything you want, just make sure that your class is named the same in the banner manager.

Thirdly...Also, I'm somewhat unaware how to add more site pages, I read that there is a contribution- though I would assume it would be as simple as copying one of the others and filling your information in the content areas. I found when editing pages, it would sometime default to things like HEADLINE_TAG etc and wouldn't show anything I wrote. I noticed that it was mostly on things with a ' , but even then after replacing those all with /' it still sometimes wouldn't work.

open any of your pages and delete after

<!-- body_text //-->

Until

<!-- body_text_eof //-->

Now input your new text in this area. You will have an open <tr> and </tr> so you will probably want to open a new cell between these <td> input what you want here (maybe a whole table even) then close the cell </td>

So you will end up with

<!-- body_text //-->
<td>
Your Information here
</td>
<!-- body_text_eof //-->

and lastly(for now) I also inadvertantly deleted the United States shipping country when deleting the rest, it took the Zones with it. Can someone possibly help me dump the zones back in somehow?

I'm not a SQL wiz unfortunatly

Also, Where to I go to delete the new products for may stuff on the front page? and... Is it possible to add more to the contact forms? e.i Address, ect...

If you want to delete that area all together, reference THIS post.

If you want to add your own Featured products box, reference the contributions link in my signature.

Hope this helps some. I wish I could help with the class and the categories.

Contributions I used : Updated 06-13-04 23:42

----------------

Vote on My Graphis Poll

looks like something with the info box? maybe remove it and install a new one? since it is pulling the catagories in the drop down.

I hacked it by hardcoding the box into the template - not perfect, cause when & if I change the catalog I have to rechange it there.

I fixed this, my mistake was not reading instructions.. Doh!

open any of your pages and delete after

<!-- body_text //-->

Until

<!-- body_text_eof //-->

Now input your new text in this area. You will have an open <tr> and </tr> so you will probably want to open a new cell between these <td> input what you want here (maybe a whole table even) then close the cell </td>

So you will end up with

<!-- body_text //-->
<td>
Your Information here
</td>
<!-- body_text_eof //-->

<b>GREAT INFO!!!!!!!!</b>

This One Is a biggie, But i think I have the solution. I will probably dump it from another install DB and imprt it via phpadmin

If you want to delete that area all together, reference THIS post.

If you want to add your own Featured products box, reference the contributions link in my signature.

Thanks for the info, you've given me well enough to start to fix these problems!!!

Thank you :)

What are the characters that screw up PHP when your placing text inbetween:

<!-- body_text //-->

Until

<!-- body_text_eof //-->

I know ' needs to be preceded by a / - but what other ones screw it all up?

- Brian

YOu have no IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got hogwild :)

That's soo great. Im soo happy - OSCOMMERCE is PERFECT!

I just need to fix SSL, the upload script(which I've broken again), and the country zones and it's ready to go!

Archived