• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Releasing it to the Sharks

FlyingMonkey

http://www.arbitso.com (aka Carb Lite Solutions, we sell low carb products)

It is a live site, so please don't place orders unless you really want the product. For $5 of $25 use clsfive as the coupon code.

Thank you for your comments for looks, functionality, and anything else you can think of. Some of the admin additions include dynamic customer sorting, the froogle data feeder, a few others i can't remember off the top of my head.

Most likely your question has been answered, please do a search first.

WOW! Load time ROCKS!! Did you use a thumbnail contrib? If so, which one?

nope, i plan on adding one though. i wrote some simple code so there's a thumbnail and it opens up to a larger picture though. eventually, i want the thumbnails to be auto generated.

Here's a list of what I have planned:

Top:

Froogle Data Feeder Update v1.3 - 5hrs

Next:

Staples Supplies Order - 1 hr

Arrow Spacing - 2hrs Status: Completed

Alternate Admin Panel - 5hrs

Vegas Chick Clothing - 6hrs

Froogle Brand Tab Update - 2hrs

News By SQL - 4hrs

Admin Password Form Login - 3hrs

Debug Address Book - 3.5 hrs

Arbitso Froogle Data Feed - 1.25hrs

Arbitso Meta Tags - 1hr

Debug Review Section - 2.5hrs

PWA - 8hrs

Admin Invoice - 6hrs

Phallix Toy Site - 5hrs

Search Engine Ranking - 3hrs

Admin Security HTACCESS force SSL - 1hr

Automatic Thumbnail Generation - 3.75hrs

Automatic Header Generation - 5.5hrs

Automatic Product Pictures - 4.25hrs

Automatic Copyright Images - 2.75hrs

Perfect Image Distortion - 4.5hrs

As Needed / With Time:

Attribute Quantity Tracking - 22hrs

Paypal - 5 hrs

UPS - 1.75 hr

eCheck Wire Transfer - 4hrs

Multiple Images - 3hrs

Milestone 3 Migration - 30hrs

Recently Completed:

Redo Login.php (Debug and Integrate Country-State Selector) 5.25hrs Status: Completed

Review Redirect - 2hrs: Completed

Spacing of Boxes (by funct) - Total: 8.5hrs Status: Aborted

Country-State Selector 2.5hrs Status: Completed

Debug Login - 3.5 hrs Status: Cancelled

Product description in title bar - 2hrs Status: Completed

Froogle Data Feeder Bug Updates and Readme - 2.5hrs Status: Completed

Froogle Data Feeder Currency Conversion for International Support Update v1.2 - 3hrs Status: Completed

I like the New Customer Checkout on the Continue or Sign in page. Is this a contrib? I like cutting out extra pages!

I like the color scheme and the fast load time. I just wish there was a little more info on the main page. An introduction to your store or products, something like that.

-sabre

I like the New Customer Checkout on the Continue or Sign in page. Is this a contrib? I like cutting out extra pages!

Hi FlyingMonkey,

Any chance of you sharing what you did to the login page?

Love the site!

Thanx

Mark

Lifes a bitch, then you marry one, then you die!

Hi FlyingMonkey,

Any chance of you sharing what you did to the login page?

Love the site!

Thanx

Mark

i was considering releasing it as a contribution in the future, but i do full time school plus consulting and most of my time is spent working on the froogle data feeder. And i'm about to release another contribution. so eventually... i should be able to have it out as a contribution.

Froogle Data Feeder:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2000

You have 239 countries listed in your new account and shipping pages. Are you really going to ship to all 239 countries? Picking the country of Kenya for example, gave me a shipping quote of $83.14 for a $1.69 Atkins Chocolate bar?!? How much does that thing weigh? :blink:

I'd rather be flying!

Site looks great! :) I only have very minor suggestions. Things I would change:

(1) Left align this:

Shipping & Returns Privacy Notice Terms & Conditions Contact Us

So it matches the top bar. As it is, throw off the symmetry.

(2) login.php ... small grammatical error, probably in the default osC

"be up to date on an orders status" should be "be up to date on an order's status"

Only reason I saw that is b/c everyone kept saying how great the login page was so I had to see it. ;)

(3) Swap default osC buttons for custom buttons to match your site a little better. If you want a quick solution, check out Xara Menu Maker or Webstyle or Crystal Buttons.

(4) Date format is in EU format ... would change to US. Not really important, but I'm nitpicking here. (I have to, no major complaints) hehe

(5) Personally, I would remove the phone # requirement in new signups. I would like to have a customer's # as much as the next guy/girl, but I'm a realist. When I see that field is required on a site, first it annoys me. Secondly, if I really want to order or whatever, I'll simply lie ... usually by entering in the number to information [ie (201) 555-1212]

(6) On the login and create_account pages, right align the buttons that are left aligned so they match the rest of the buttons on the site.

Your list of contributions you want to add or have added has given me some ideas also so I'll be looking into 3-4 of them. :)

Date format is in EU format ... would change to US.

Sorry, I didn't know there was a difference. Can someone give me an example?

Swap default osC buttons for custom buttons to match your site a little better. If you want a quick solution, check out Xara Menu Maker or Webstyle or Crystal Buttons.

Agreed.

(2) login.php ... small grammatical error, probably in the default osC

"be up to date on an orders status" should be "be up to date on an order's status"

Only reason I saw that is b/c everyone kept saying how great the login page was so I had to see it.

Never, spent the time to read it. Thanks! :P

(6) On the login and create_account pages, right align the buttons that are left aligned so they match the rest of the buttons on the site.

Ahh, Never even noticed it.

Left align this:

Shipping & Returns Privacy Notice Terms & Conditions Contact Us

I'll give it a shot.

You have 239 countries listed in your new account and shipping pages. Are you really going to ship to all 239 countries? Picking the country of Kenya for example, gave me a shipping quote of $83.14 for a $1.69 Atkins Chocolate bar?!? How much does that thing weigh? 

True, but part of the reason I developed it to include all of the countries is for any other sites for clients or our own company. I have it default to USA, so it really shouldn't be a problem for most customers. It can be defaulted to any country.

Date format is in EU format ... would change to US.

Sorry, I didn't know there was a difference. Can someone give me an example?

Default osC date format is like that of EU, where the day comes before the month. Also a comma missing. ;) Should look like ...

Sunday, May 23, 2004

In english.php code would be:

define('DATE_FORMAT_SHORT', '%m/%d/%Y');  // this is used for strftime()
define('DATE_FORMAT_LONG', '%A, %B %d, %Y'); // this is used for strftime()
define('DATE_FORMAT', 'm/d/Y'); // this is used for date()
define('DATE_TIME_FORMAT', DATE_FORMAT_SHORT . ' %H:%M:%S');

Dear old dad was an english major in college and was always on my a** growing up. You see what happened? lol

very nice stuff on here, you did a great job. my only thing is i like a little color the white just dont do it for me,some people like the white and dont like color, so what you gonna do? white ?no white? cool site great products reasonable shipping, gotta wonderabout chocolate in summer though

Hm.

Looking at it with a German IP, I get the standard OS Commerce Index site and no categories shown?

Header is nice, though ;-)

standard os commerce index site? hmm....

try: http://www.carblitesolutions.com

not exactly standard but have a look with

http://www.carblitesolutions.com/index.php?language=de or language=es

those are the standard languages that come with oscommerce. forgot to remove those?

Richard

ahh... thanks! for the info about the EU vs. US dates.

very nice stuff on here, you did a great job. my only thing is i like a little color the white just dont do it for me,some people like the white and dont like color, so what you gonna do? white ?no white? cool site great products reasonable shipping, gotta wonderabout chocolate in summer though

True, I'll try to come up with something with the whitespace. I tried a solid color background but it didn't suite it very well. The chocolate seems to stay pretty solid, we generally pack the sides with air bags or other packaging materials as insulation, but i agree it could be a potential problem.

those are the standard languages that come with oscommerce. forgot to remove those?

What's the best way to remove these languages?

Thanks everyone! Keep the critques coming, they're really helpful.

What's the best way to remove these languages?

Thanks everyone! Keep the critques coming, they're really helpful.

Check in your admin module under localisation under languages.

It should show there what languages you have got.

If there is only english, than you can easily delete the directories for those languages

catalog/includes/languages/deutsch (or german)

catalog/includes/languages/espenal (or spanish)

and the files deutsch.php etc.

Otherwise you first need to delete it in your admin before you can delete the directories.

Good work

Richard

:D

Archived