• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Payment Rec'd but No Order?

DriWashSolutions

Yesterday, I received a PayPal payment from a customer, but did not have an order in my database from him (nor did any notifications go out - either to him or me). I did have an unsold shopping cart for the exact items that he wanted.

Has anyone ever experieced this before? I'm using the PayPal module built into MS2, but suspect this could happen to other payment options as well. The customer seems to remember the picture of the package coming up after the order was confirmed, but he can't be sure.

Was it something on my end or on his end? I want to be sure that other customers aren't having the same problems with other modules.

John Skurka

Hello,

I've had this problem as well. We've only had about 30 orders so far but this has happened on about half of them! The only way I know they ordered anything is because of the PayPal notification, then I end up having to call. It's so annoying and totally defeats the purpose of the cart.

I sure hope it hasn't been happening on the check/money order method because those would be lost orders.

I sure hope it hasn't been happening on the check/money order method because those would be lost orders.

Well, with those, you'd recieve a check or Money Order in the mail, no?

For the orders that did not show up in the database, did you have an unsold cart for that customer?

Also, what other payment type are you offering?

John Skurka

we just launched our new site about three weeks ago. PayPal orders seemed to be working fine, but today this same thing happened to us too- the PayPal payment came, and it was even broken down into the item price and shipping charge, but there was no reference of the order in our osCommerce admin area. I am going to search the forums for a while, but wanted to add this reply to see if anyone knows of a fix. I tested it out myself and signed up for a new account and then selected to pay by PayPal and the same thing happened...

the same thing has happened to us, also with a site launched within the last couple of weeks. The money/order one works fine, but if they choose paypal, we receive no mention of the order. Nothing showing up in orders in the admin either. I've searched these forums and found nothing to fix this. This is not a good thing. My client will not be happy if this isn't fixed.

Yes...Please explain the difference between the two?

My PayPal appears to work fine. There must be benefits in installing the IPN?

Which Paypal IPN Contrib have you installed to get your store working fine? I see a few out there. I set my Paypal account on Paypal to auto return and it works MOST of the time. I think that people don't want to wait the 10 seconds that it takes to auto return and close their browser to soon. So I want to install IPN but I want the version that works best.

Life Is Too Short,

Enjoy Your Coffee!

Pete

Hi there,

I bel+ieve I have the same problem. PayPal sends me the order confirmation meaning that a payment has successfully been processed on their side, but in our oscommerce backend this order doesn?t show up.

I have the PayPal IPN module (latest update) installed, auto return set to true, etc. But no orders! Can someone help out?

Payment details such as amount, orderID, items, shipping etc al all correct in PayPals notification.

With kind regards,

Wolter Tjeenk Willink

The most likely cause of this problem is that once they pay with PayPal, they don't press "continue" in PayPal, which returns them to your website to hit the last page (checkout_confirmation or something like that -- tired and can't remember at the moment).

PayPal IPN can fix it, as well as adding the proper "redirect URL" into your PayPal merchant configuration.

Alternately, you can install a "master password" that will let you login to anyone's account. This allows you to perform the checkout on behalf of someone that's already paid you but hasn't checked out. That's simpler to do sometimes, especially when the total in their cart, plus shipping, is exactly equal to what they paid.

-jared

I used the PayPal IPN Gateway for osCommerce contribution. I went to the http://iSolutionsPlus.com site for installation instructions, etc. I've only tested it a couple of times though, so who knows. I find with the oscommerce site, each time I think I have it working fine, something else pops up.

Yesterday, I received a PayPal payment from a customer, but did not have an order in my database from him (nor did any notifications go out - either to him or me).

I've the same problem. It seems many people have this problem too. Can paypal ipn solve this problem? If can't, any other solution?

Alternately, you can install a "master password" that will let you login to anyone's account. This allows you to perform the checkout on behalf of someone that's already paid you but hasn't checked out. That's simpler to do sometimes, especially when the total in their cart, plus shipping, is exactly equal to what they paid.

Jared:

How is this accomplished? Is there a Contrib? Please explain.

John Skurka

• 3 weeks later...
Alternately, you can install a "master password" that will let you login to anyone's account.  This allows you to perform the checkout on behalf of someone that's already paid you but hasn't checked out.  That's simpler to do sometimes, especially when the total in their cart, plus shipping, is exactly equal to what they paid.

Jared:

How is this accomplished? Is there a Contrib? Please explain.

search the contributions for

Simple Master Login

not sure how to install it yet

Hello Fellow Webheads...

I had the same thing happen several times. And like someone said in an earlier post, I found it was because once they made a paypal payment, they didn't return to hit the CONTINUE button, which places the order firmly in the system.

I added this message to the bottom of my checkout pages in bold red letters:

** IMPORTANT! Please make sure you complete the checkout process by hitting the CONTINUE button throughout every stage of checkout. Especially after completing the payment stage. This will ensure that your order gets into the system properly.

This has helped 99%, we have had one slip though since then, but some people just dont read.

If you find a better fix, let me know!

Regards,

Jason

www.deeptronics.com :huh:

Thanks Jason,

I was trying to find a nice way of saying this!

What pages did you add it to?

I tried the IPN contrib and all it did was screw up my admin payment module! Now I have to fix that too.

Life Is Too Short,

Enjoy Your Coffee!

Pete

I have installed the master password found in the how to pages here MASTER PASSWORD It worked great on my first try. I logged into my customers account and there was his shopping cart, still full so I proccessed it to get it into my system and I am so HAPPY that it WORKS!!!!

Life Is Too Short,

Enjoy Your Coffee!

Pete

** IMPORTANT! Please make sure you complete the checkout process by hitting the CON!5{ghout every stage of checkout. Especially after completing the payment stage. This will ensure that your order gets into the system properly.[/color]

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read this. We just had our first one of these after several initial days of smooooooth operation at startup.

I'm going to add your text as a temporary measure, then see if I can't come up with a button that will do the same thing. A great, big RED button!

Thank you for saving my day!

Anne