• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Would you guess its OsCommerce?

smashing

Finally finished designing this site and it is live and kickin!!

I really wanted a unique design instead of the 'standard look & feel' of typical OsCommerce sites. Do you think I've succeeded? Comments more than welcome.

Please check it out

Thanks to all and especially to Brian Gallagher - author of the amzing STS Template Contribution.

I'm using mozilla firefox v0.8, and the footer doesn't look quite right.

EDIT: I've just checked it in IE too, and it's the same problem.

Did you design the footer intentionally like this?

the footer doesn't look quite right.

Do you mean the OsCommerce link that is under the line while everything else is above it?

Yes that's intentional for now. If you meant to say something else please specify.

Thanks. I had originally not planned for the osCommerce link to be there at all as OsCommerce does not require it to be displayed "if the layout of the site theme has been modified to distinguish itself from the default osCommerce-copyrighted theme." (see http://www.oscommerce.com/about/copyright)

But this forums guidlines do specify that it be there so I threw it in.

All said and done- refresh your browser. I've moved everything up a notch now. (don';t worry about the osCommerce link sitting on th line now!)

Very slick.

Couple small things: your mouseovers are a little wacky. Shabbos Meals says Homepage, Cart-Checkout-Account says Meat Dinners, etc.

Also, your search box could use a little work to better integrate it with the site.

And your toll free number could be better displayed... perhaps as an "Can't find what you're looking for?" info box on the main page, perhaps integrated in the logo as many other online retailers do.

Thanks oldmoney

Fixed the alt="" on the images - that was due to coping and pasting on my part (by the way, as a general rule, I think that an image's "alt" isn't usually displayed by default on the Mac as it is on a Windows machine)

Thanks for your other suggestions. What do you mean by 'slick' though? (Dictionary.com gives me 10 meanings for that word!)

It's very nice, I've never really used the STS system. Can I ask what benefit you found by using it as opposed to not using it?

There are a few things that stick out like a sore thumb:

1/ Your "breadcrumb" is in plain text, the rest are graphic buttons. You can sort this by making a graphic for each area and a little extra PHP code in the breadcrumb class to show the graphic rather than text.

2/ Infoboxes. They look standard Oscommerce, if you change these it would look better.

hth

Looks great

One suggestion from me though

I'd drop the background image cos it over complicates things in my view. But im sure not everyone will agree !

Apart from that, it looks great. Nice job :D

always here to offer some useless advice....

Hi Gazzzzzza,

I'd like to know what OS are you using?

Hi Burt,

Thanks for your comments - let me go through them.

It's very nice, I've never really used the STS system.  Can I ask what benefit you found by using it as opposed to not using it?

How else can you make layout changes to just one page and the changes immediately affect every page in the site?

1/  Your "breadcrumb" is in plain text, the rest are graphic buttons.  You can sort this by making a graphic for each area and a little extra PHP code in the breadcrumb class to show the graphic rather than text.

I did this intentionally. The way I look at it (and you may disagree) is that the breadcrumbs are only a trail like children following there dad (Home).

The theme here with my small site navigation graphical buttons are the main aspects of the site (besides the categories that I've put at the top). That would make only 'Home' as important a link as the others but not the breadcrumbs.

2/  Infoboxes.  They look standard Oscommerce, if you change these it would look better.

I think there's nothing wrong with the standard Oscommerce look - we've only gotten so used to it after seeing it all so many times, that every aspect of its standard design starts to stand out wherever we see it!

I think my infoboxes blend into the design with their color and border - but again you're welcome to your point of view and thanks again for commenting

Oh OK. As I say I've never really gotten around to using STS so I was not aware of it's capabilities.

I'll phrase it another way;

Is there any benefit to using STS over not using a templating system (other than in time saved) ?

When they say 'time is money' the're usually talking about dollars not cents! I think the STS system will save anyone a lot of time, and should really be standard in the OsCommerce package

your search box shows up on all pages however it does not work from all pages

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

Well, you have a lot of space in the top left...I would move the serch input box and icon there (without the infobox).

I'm not sure that you absolutely need the shopping cart breakdown...but if you really want it...maybe use something like http://www.graveyardrecords.com/index.php uses. (I programmed that part for them. It's fairly simple). I'm not sure where I would put something like that though.

HTH,

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

Thanks Chris.

By the way, I have 'Show Scripting Error Alerts' enabled in IE (Maci OS 9.1) and it's alerting me about Javascript errors on the graveyard site. (object expected)

im using

win xp

int explorer 6

res 1024 x 768

i wasnt saying it doesnt work or anything

just saying i think it looks a bit 'busy' with the tiled background

i reckon plain would look smarter

also

why dont you just remove the breadcrumb trail - because it does look wrong - it might be better without it as you have all the nav you really need without it anyway?

one last thing! i reckon you should move the footer/bottom bit down a bit. i think it would look better with the 'powered by oscommerce' having a gap between it and the border.

always here to offer some useless advice....

Archived