• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

My Online Store

bbmama

You should get a new webdesigner. Apart from the color scheme (which suits the shop products), everything looks like stock. Also you might wanna change the buttons which I see are still the stock OSC buttons. Out of place with the color scheme.

The header is a tad too huge too IMHO. But that's just me, maybe others like it.

starcam

----------------

give your opinion on my shop: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89341

starcam

----------------

give your opinion on my shop: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89341

The web designer you paid did three things:

1. Installed osCommerce - 20 minutes

2. Editied "stylesheet.css" - I file that defines your colors - 3 minutes

3. Swapped out the osC logo with your own. - 2 minutes

25 minutes of work went in to your site.

If I were you, I would ask for my money back. Whatever you paid was too much.

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

I like pink sites, it seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment. I've seen three or four recently.

What Chance has said is 100% true, your webdesigner has not done all that much on the face of it.

What you should do is soften the look even more - use some shadow effects maybe? Get the designer to use some whitespace to accentuate your site further.

It's a good start, but is looking only 5% done so far.

I don't want you to take my comments as "Your site is bad" because I don't think it is. The pink works, although the header is huge on an 800x600 screen. I would probably cut that around to half its size. I would change the stock buttons, and install a thumbnail contribution so your product images look better.

I just made my comment because I don't like to see people being taken by poor web developers. There are a lot of people who will charge too much money for easy work and take advantage of people who don't know much about web development, and it bothers me a little bit.

I don't want you to take my comments as "Your site is bad" because I don't think it is. The pink works, although the header is huge on an 800x600 screen. I would probably cut that around to half its size. I would change the stock buttons, and install a thumbnail contribution so your product images look better.

I just made my comment because I don't like to see people being taken by poor web developers. There are a lot of people who will charge too much money for easy work and take advantage of people who don't know much about web development, and it bothers me a little bit.

Ditto :)

Contributions I used : Updated 06-13-04 23:42

----------------

Vote on My Graphis Poll

:rolleyes: It is not that it's ugly or bad, it's just not what one would expect from a paid designer.

Agree with all the above, plus:

- The clickable map (those "buttons") with FlowerLine, BoutiqueLine, CustomMade...

Is not clear. It does not look at first that you can click on it.

- If you are going to leave this pink (beautifull color), it's better to use other font color, because it's hard to read whito on pink.

- Also, if you are going to use the default buttons, at least ask the designer to make the background transparent so it does not look ugly in the corners.

SGershon

If at first you don't succeed, you must be a programmer.

Tip Posted: Languageless Reviews

Okay now I am very upset :( not with you people but I feel like a fool

Are you happy to look at the whole site? which is BB4BB Website

I have had so much trouble with the time frame of this being completed. It was promised to me the week after easter - it was finished a coupld of days ago. we had huge arguements becuase I sent all those bows over to her for photgraphing and frankly i am not happy how they turned out. and I have to retake them all again. The bows were sent back to me 2 weeks ago but arrved a couple of days ago becuase they were NOT sent back to me a couple of weeks ago kwim.

I paid her $350 AU I am really annoyed that I didnt check back here before I just paid her last night. You see to me as a website novice that looks all good to me.

So what should I have paid and is it worth getting into another arguement about it with her or let it go? As far as changing things I don't have a clue how to do that except to change the product

Thanks for the feedback

Hi Caroline,

It is very difficult when you don't know the first thing about web design (like myself!). But having "lurked" on these forums for a while, I have found that my knowledge of web design has grown 10 fold in just a few days. There are some very helpful and honest people on here and you asked a question which was answered truthfully...you paid someone to do something that you could do yourself quite easily, given time. But such is life..the main thing is that you have a website site up and running and things can only get better. Don't be disheartened and keep looking on these forums for any assistance.

Keep your chin up! and don't dispair

I emailed my husband at work about all this and he basically said what you said let it go. He thought 25mins seemed a bit under though.

But you know after seeing how to change product etc I also wonder - She said she spent much longer than 10 hours doing the store and website.

But I guess the main thing is its up and running and perhaps with some assistance from here I can change a few things myself :)

As I said I am not upset with any comments made here just with myself

Also the heading - to me on my computer it looks great how is it looking huge to others?

I'm running 1280x1024 resolution on my monitor and your header is HUGE! People with lower resolution monitors are not seeing any of your content.

Fire your designer - a 12 year old could do this.

bbMama;

The website (not the store) is fine, because it fits the subjects and colors are beautifull.

The problem is on the online catalog, that's where the designer turned lazy.

I think that the designer is not lazy, I do think that she did not really know Oscommerce...this is perhaps her first ever time using Oscommerce maybe?

350 AU $ is not a lot of money, and if this also included taking pictures of bows etc then it is underpriced (in my opinion)!

No she has used it a number of times before I have seen her other work and they are all set out like mine except different colours and product but all the things are the same basically.

The photos I am having to retake at this very moment and re upload myself so it was pointless sending them over. There was no care taken in the photographing of them. They looked flat and not like they do in real life. If you care to go to the Princess line you will see the first two the butterfly pink and dual pink grosgrain I have retaken and they look much nicer and the way they are meant to look Only problem is that the thumbnails are horrible as in stretched but the click larger image shows a true pic.

It also cost me money to send the bows over and then they were not sent back quickly an I could have sold them to a retail store in the meantime - kwim ?

I guess if you are saying that $350 Au is not a lot of money for it for 10 hrs x $35 then I should be happy with what I have and I am as in a novice looking at it

I'm sorry if you were offended burt that i didn't take one of your designs but as I said I am bamboozled and something that should have been done ages ago took 7 weeks to get to this point

No she has used it a number of times before I have seen her other work and they are all set out like mine except different colours and product but all the things are the same basically.

Ah. That's different then!

I guess if you are saying that $350 Au is not a lot of money for it for 10 hrs x $35 then I should be happy with what I have and I am as in a novice looking at it
It's too much for the catalog site, but I wouldn't have any clue how long it took to take pictures of the bows...

i didn't take one of your designs
Goodness me, no! Twas offered in good spirit, free of charge as you felt so let down by this designer. Was a design I knocked up for someone else (who then wanted something different), so it would have taken no work for me to do.

I'm a nice guy sometimes :D ;)

hi bbmama i hope you dont mind but i have taken the liberty of re-designing your header image which can be viewed HERE

if you like it and would like to use it (for free of course) i can forward the psd file for you.

i dont want to appear to be "stepping on toes " or sticking my neck in, just trying to help ;)

The store itself is a letdown compared to the rest of the site. If she did all of it, you didn't get ripped off but I would either try to figure out osc myself or hire someone else to integrate the store to look like your website. She slacked off when it came to that but did well on the rest.

You can easily set up osc yourself, as I have, and I still know nothing about the programming language PHP. I simply copied and pasted for the most part. Since you have the store up and running, use it but take some time to figure out the store's inner workings yourself because you will be amazed at how much you can learn and how much you can change. You will then be able to decide what works for you and what doesnt and then using it will be a breeze. You won't have to hire someone every time you want a new feature either. You'll be able to have a brainstorm in the middle of the night, log on, install it, and be done before you forget what your idea was.

Burt:

I'm a nice guy sometimes

Wow!

Don't get let down Caroline, hang out with us for a couple weeks and you will be the osCommerce master that we all think we are.

hi bbmama i hope you dont mind but i have taken the liberty of re-designing your header image which can be viewed HERE

ComShop, your header img is very very nice. Would you mind if I have my opinions??

I think that the buttons saying FlowerLine, PrincessLine, ContactUs... Are not so clearly links.

They don't look like a link, and neither like a button -- users will have to try with their mouse to see if it becomes a "little hand" instead of a "little arrow". Maybe you could denote these links/buttons a little more for her.

But it was a nice job, and being for free even nicer.

This thread was one of the most beautifull threads I've seen around.

Is this common? People doing webdesign for fellow-osCommercers just to help?

Congratulations to all of you people that are "nice guys sometimes"!

I think you are all very nice to offer to do all these things for me :)

I don't understand the header thing you speak of being too big becuase everyone I have spoken to sees it the way I do I like the header becuase it fits in with the other headings on my website it all flows kwim ?

But No-one has said they can't read it from being too big I am not so sure what you all mean.

Thanks for trying to help me out I think thats lovely :)

I don't understand the header thing you speak of being too big becuase everyone I have spoken to sees it the way I do

i have done a "mock up" of your site with a smaller header to see if it helps you

you can view this at http://www.comshoponline.co.uk/bbmama/bbmama.html

if you view your site at 800x600 it is all header and no shop, with a smaller header your products are immediately visible.

SGershon, guess your right again, re-done the "links" for you'

Even on my 1024x768 15" Flat Panel the header is way too big. It takes up half the page and I have to scroll too much before I start seeing products. A header should only be enough to let people know who you are, it shouldn't dominate the page.

Archived