• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Final tips, suggestions?

agiftcodotcom

Can you post or pm me the same file. Just code itself?

I want to add that feature on my site as well..

Another site that I saw just shows only product name and price.

But yours shows product number as well.. That's what I like about this mod.

Please let me know.

Thank you

minuteago

I just used Beyond Compare to compare mine to an out-of-box version of the file and there's no difference. As soon as I can find the mod or remember what I changed I will post it here.

In the standard product listing (not in columns) this is all done via the Configuration settings where you also specify the order of the fields to display, I suspect the column version is build around the same engine :)

Carine

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Updated

I have seen many people ask "what are your favorite contributions" when they are starting out. These are the contributions I have used up to this point. I will add them to the list as I use/create more. If you have a decent size list of 5/10/15 contributions you've used that you feel are useful and are not listed here, please feel free to post them as well.

Helpful info

- Remove the ->

- Add a box

Contributions I've used

- PayPal IPN

- Purchase Without Account

- Center Shop

- All Products

- Site Map for SEO's

- Easy Rollovers

- Previous - Next navigation buttons

- Login Box

- Quntity Option

- Gradient Headers

- Invision Integration

- Featured Products

- Replace [Next>>] With Image

- Column Product Listing

Other Contributions

- Skin Changer

- Non-Paid Affiliates Box

Top Menu Bar

- For the top menu bar, I moved the bread crumb down to a cell below the top bar and then I centered my navigational links.

Design Change

I removed all instances of the right column on every .php file in the main directory

Model Number

- You can display your model number by going to your admin panel, configuration --> product listing --> Display Product Model

Contributions I used : Updated 06-13-04 23:42

----------------

Vote on My Graphis Poll

Not a bad site eric, I would question the ebay ad at the bottom of the site. I would think they are a competitor of yours unless the link goes to your online ebay store. If not, I wouldn't want to give customers another place to buy the same stuff. ebay sells everything, and I can almost guarentee they sell the same stuff as you.

If I was crafty, this would be a funny signature.

It's actually an affiliates banner, but I never thought of it in that aspect. Thanks for opening my eyes :D .

The web.com banner is an aff banner as well, but they aren't my competitor.

Thanks for the tip :)

No more ebay.

----------------

Vote on My Graphis Poll

Center Header Navi

I have been asked to explain how I centered my navigational links and dropped my bread crumb. So, here is a contribution which explains just that. You can see a sample at http://www.agiftco.com/testsite

----------------

Vote on My Graphis Poll

Dan, not sure why it was so slow. You might've caught my host in a re-boot. I use cable and dsl to get the site and it never takes more than 3 or 4 seconds to load a page. If anyone has dial-up, let me know how painful it is.

Don, thanks :D (no offense taken :) )

----------------

Vote on My Graphis Poll

I was told mine loads slow. This person said 8 seconds on 56k is too slow. I'm like wth - to make it any faster I'd hafta remove all database queries, photos, and make it an html page. :lol:

Anyone wanna agree/disagree? I know this is Eric's thread but I'd appreciate if anyone could tell me if they have problems, especially 56k-ers. I think it's a little sad how people try to optimize to the point of lacking quality. Dial up users don't expect their pages to load fast. They realize they are using an outdated internet access and tend to have the patience to wait. As long as they arent sitting there for an extremely long time.

Sorry Eric - off topic but I had to vent since the idea of slow load times came up.

Click Here to Check My Store

Side Note

I was asked how I adjusted my meta tags. The easiest way to adjust your meta tags (without a contribution)....

The original OSC index.php looks like this near the top...

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>"> 
<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>
<base href="<?php echo (($request_type == 'SSL') ? HTTPS_SERVER : HTTP_SERVER) . DIR_WS_CATALOG; ?>">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">
</head>

and I changed mine to

<head>
<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">
<meta name="description" content="Enter Your Site's Description Here">
<META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="Enter Your Site's Keywords"> 
<base href="<?php echo (($request_type == 'SSL') ? HTTPS_SERVER : HTTP_SERVER) . DIR_WS_CATALOG; ?>">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="rollovers.js"></script>
</head>

----------------

Vote on My Graphis Poll

Hey! Hey! Hey! I built my site on dial-up! :D Only because where I am in the bayou of Louisiana they don't offer anything else! Its a shame I know. Maybe someday this area will join in with the rest of the USA!

You are right though, dial-up people know at times we may have to wait a few seconds longer than most, but it still shouldn't take a lifetime! So building my site on dial-up gave me the advantage of how fast my site will pull up for others on dial-up.

Anyway....being on dial-up I was able to test both of your sites and they pulled up quick and fine for me. I travelled around a bit in each site to see if all pages loaded the same speed or if there was any lag in any particular page and there wasn't any. If I were shopping online and came across your stores, I would stay and look ;) I didn't get frustrated at all waiting for graphics to load.

Good job both of you!

Hey! Hey! Hey! I built my site on dial-up! :D Only because where I am in the bayou of Louisiana they don't offer anything else! Its a shame I know. Maybe someday this area will join in with the rest of the USA!

You are right though, dial-up people know at times we may have to wait a few seconds longer than most, but it still shouldn't take a lifetime! So building my site on dial-up gave me the advantage of how fast my site will pull up for others on dial-up.

Anyway....being on dial-up I was able to test both of your sites and they pulled up quick and fine for me. I travelled around a bit in each site to see if all pages loaded the same speed or if there was any lag in any particular page and there wasn't any. If I were shopping online and came across your stores, I would stay and look ;) I didn't get frustrated at all waiting for graphics to load.

Good job both of you!

They have phones in the bayou of Louisiana? :D

Thanks for giving us a true speed test. :)

----------------

Vote on My Graphis Poll

They have phones in the bayou of Louisiana?

Isn't that something!!! That's about all they have LOL. I've only been down here for close to 3 years now. My home is still considered Western PA/Eastern Ohio. Now THERE you can get all types of electronic devices!!

Your welcome!!! Just call me the "Master of Dial-Up!" :D

• 2 years later...
I was told mine loads slow. This person said 8 seconds on 56k is too slow. ... Dial up users don't expect their pages to load fast. They realize they are using an outdated internet access and tend to have the patience to wait.

Actually, over half the Internet's surfers are still using dial-up, and some of those are still using even slower than 56k. Many studies on load time have been done, and 8 seconds is about the maximum time the average surfer will wait, regardless of whether they are on 56k or broadband. So you are at the top end of the recommended scale. If you can get that down to about 3-6 seconds, you will do much better. I've read several studies that indicate some surfers begin leaving after 3 seconds and for each second the surfer has to wait beyond 8 seconds, potentially half of them will leave. So if you still had 100 surfers at 8 seconds, you might have 50 at 9 seconds, 25 at 10 seconds, etc.

At the very least, you need to get the header and menu loaded right away, so the surfer knows something is coming. Give him something to read and he is less likely to notice how long it's taking. To do this, you need to make sure a height and width is set for everything on the page. Otherwise, the browser will have to load the whole page before it can figure out the layout and shows the whole page only after it has it all loaded.

Archived