• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Specifying credit card types

Luchysoft

Hi.

I've done quite a bit of searching and browsing both this forum and the contrib section and have found nothing.

I'm trying to figure out how to set the cart up to present the customer with a list of credit card types (visa, MC, Discover, etc) and have them specify their type of credit card. I would also need it to take this value and put it into the orders table, and it would need to reject attempts to select one type but enter a credit card number of another type (like selecting discover, but entering a number starting with 4 would have to be rejected). I'm somewhat surprised that this is not standard functionality, unless I'm just totally missing something.

Anyway, can anyone tell me if there exists a contrib that does all this or if not, where should I start looking to build my own?

Thanks

scott

Why do you need this? The card type is be automatically detected based on the number.

If you really wanted this, then I suppose you would add a selection field to the cc.php module and then compare the value with what was returned by cc_validation.php. Seems pointless to me, except for it telling your users which cards you accept, which you can do in other ways. You can edit cc_validation.php to reject card types you don't accept.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into those files.

There are several reasons I want this. First, my current cart has it this way, so less change. Second, while there are other ways of telling customers what we do and do not accept, listing the only available options in a dropdown box is probably the most effective and most common way among other stores, and third, frankly I just think it looks weird to not ask the type - just personal preference I guess.

Anyway, maybe I'll make this my first contrib if I get it working well.

Thanks again.

scott

• 2 weeks later...
Why do you need this? The card type is be automatically detected based on the number.

If you really wanted this, then I suppose you would add a selection field to the cc.php module and then compare the value with what was returned by cc_validation.php. Seems pointless to me, except for it telling your users which cards you accept, which you can do in other ways. You can edit cc_validation.php to reject card types you don't accept.

We have the choice with credit cards but how will the system handle debit cards like switch?

Regards

I really hate to be dumb but what directory is cc_validation.php located in. I didn't find it in the payment modules.

Thanks We need to block AMX as a card type accepted. They just have become to expensive.

From COWTOWN USA -- Fort Worth, Texas

T Ligon

blocking credit cards, is a matter of dealing with your merchant account, and turning off amex there. also, on your site state which cards you accept.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a similar dilemma. My client doesn't do live transactions (they just export credit card info at the end of the day) and they need a way to turn on and off the acceptance of certain credit card types. Is there a contrib to cc_validation.php that can do this?

Yeah I could go into cc_validation.php and comment out which ones they don't want but I don't want them coming to me later on when they want to accept those that have been commented out. In short I have a vague idea of how to limit which types are accepted but I'd like to know if there's a contrib out there that does this or if one of the gurus out there, mibble, anyone has an idea on what the best way to go about doing this would be. thanks.

Actually I've begun to write my own contrib for his and now I really only need to know if I can call the tep_db_query/tep_db_fetch_array functions from within includes/classes/cc_validation.php (im adding this to a live site so i cant really test that out).

Hey Luchysoft,

I am lookign for the same you are. I think buyers out there are stupid and they'll get confused on what cards they can use....no offense to anyone. Your can think of it as a perfectionist thing. Your should make it a contrib!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...