• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Solution Must Exist!

Hello All,

New to osCommerce but been kickin it hard to make it do what I need it to. Before I reinvent the wheel I figured I would ask...

How can I off free shipping on certain items (or entire categories maybe) but when odered with other items in the store that I do charge shipping for, have the free shipping supressed so that it does not show. I don't want them having a free shipping option when most of the items require shipping charges.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Michael, there's a module for free shipping, it should work for you. I found it included as part of the osc2max project.

Myself, I'm sticking with the straight osc2 but you might want to download osc2max just for the extra features.

Bren

I just accomplished this exactly. Here's how i did it:

First I made the items I want to be free weight 0.

Now for shipping I use the FedEx module. I haven't looked at the other ones, but I did a simple one-line modification to it that looks like this:

if ( ($shipping_weight == 0) && (substr($type,0,2) == 90) ) {$cost = 0; }

the $type stuff is so that free ground shipping is offered, but they can still pay for express shipping.

I put this line right before the quote function returns $this->quotes.

Works like a charm, if the user puts in other items without free shipping, then no weight is added, hence no extra cost. if the user only puts in free shipping items, weight stays at zero, and the line above sets the shipping cost to 0.

Thanks for the tip. :) It'll work I think, but code should go elsewhere or you will get something like:

An error occured with the UPS shipping calculations.
The requested service is invalid from the selected origin.
If you prefer to use UPS as your shipping method, please contact the store owner.

I don't know about the FedEx module but with UPS you have another issue ...

to get any of these to work using your code, you have to set your tare weight in the Admin CP to 0. Once you do that, the UPS module will not work for *any* items. :(