• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

NewsDesk v1.48 Support

Ah yes that would be a good idea

This issue has been dealt with before and a resolve should be in the support thread.

I cannot remember the whereabouts of the post at present.

Edited by 241

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys!

I'm newbie round here .. did search but cannot solve my "problem"

all news are working properly but when i click on read more i get blank page?

any idea .. maybe with language file .. i get this blank in all languages :(

thanx in advance

Hello Steve,

Firstly, I must thanks for your great work about this contribution. It's awsome! I did everything smoothly without any problem. But I wonder if I can edit the layout a bit of my first page?

The test page is here

http://www.monchhichiworld.com/catalog/index-testpage.php

I want to get rid of the "border" of the news. I think this is the infoboxcontent problem. But I am not sure how I can edit it. I do think it is relative to the following code.

if (!tep_db_num_rows($newsdesk_var_query)) { // there is no news

echo '<!-- ' . TEXT_NO_NEWSDESK_NEWS . ' -->';

} else {

$info_box_contents = array();

$info_box_contents[] = array('align' => 'left',

'text'  => TABLE_HEADING_NEWSDESK);

new contentBoxHeading($info_box_contents);

$row = 0;

while ($newsdesk_var = tep_db_fetch_array($newsdesk_var_query)) {

I've tried to delete it but only get a parse error back. Thank You

I want to get rid of the "border" of the news. I think this is the infoboxcontent problem.

I've tried to delete it but only get a parse error back.

This is not really a contributions issue but more an individual preference.

With that said:

catalog/includes/modules/newsdesk.php

locate code

$info_box_contents[] = array('align' => 'left',
                                'text'  => TABLE_HEADING_NEWSDESK);
new contentBoxHeading($info_box_contents);

change to

//	$info_box_contents = array();
//	$info_box_contents[] = array('align' => 'left',
                                echo TABLE_HEADING_NEWSDESK;
//	new contentBoxHeading($info_box_contents);

//	$info_box_contents = array();

locate code

$info_box_contents[$row] = array(
	 'align' => 'left',
	 'params' => 'class="smallText" valign="top"',
	 'text' => '

change to

//	$info_box_contents[$row] = array(
 //	'align' => 'left',
//  'params' => 'class="smallText" valign="top"',
	 echo '

locate code

);
$insert_image = '';
$insert_image_two = '';
$insert_image_three = '';
 $row++;
}

new contentBox($info_box_contents);

change to

; // );
$insert_image = '';
$insert_image_two = '';
$insert_image_three = '';
 $row++;
}

//	new contentBox($info_box_contents);

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

I'm newbie round here .. did search but cannot solve my "problem"

all news are working properly but when i click on read more i get blank page?

any idea .. maybe with language file .. i get this blank in all languages :(

without a link to the issue in order to see what paths etc are being used when clicking the link, I am working in the dark, best guess would be that the wrong path information is associated with the link.

i have the same problem. i finally got it to show up on my front page, i click on "read more" and i got a blank page that says "no news article was found", i've ran the sql file, and i've gone over and over the install file. but cant seem to find out what this error could be?

heres my web address, www.racecreations.com/catalog/ , i have the news currently running, and you can test it out and see what the problems might be.

without a link to the issue in order to see what paths etc are being used when clicking the link, I am working in the dark, best guess would be that the wrong path information is associated with the link.

hi

i'll post link here when i lock admin directory :)

Ah yes that would be a good idea
i have the same problem.
Hi guys!

catalog/newsdesk_index.php locate code

$category_depth = 'top';

change to

//$category_depth = 'top';
$category_depth = 'products';

Edited by 241

hi... just installed Newsdesk... seems to work great...more than what i need! good stuff!

i can see whats going on in PHP, but a programmer i am not... more a designer..

anyways... i have a few things for a posible wishlist for newsdesk..

- delete an image (?am i missing a button?)

- Num of images to show with summary (0 - 3) - home page!!!

- image size for summary --- like SMALLER

- image positions (1 - top / 2 - right / 3 - left / 4 - bottom)

- news activates on DD-MM-YYYY

- news de-activates on DD-MM-YYYY

just a few ideas ....

cheers...

s.

stuart m. acklam - freelance multimedia developer

Hello, Thanks for a great contribution. I've installed newsdesk and am digging it. I have a few issues one more pressing than the other so I'll start there. First I would like to know how to add an "add to cart" button when reviewing an artical. Next I would like to know how to get the product reviews to show up under the reviews for an artical.

Thanks for you time and help.

I have installed the contribution and it works well! I would like to add news headlines also to catalog sub-categories showing news only from the selected news category.

So for example Playstation category would show headlines only from Playstation news category. Xbox would show news from Xbox folder etc...

Does anyone know if that is possible?

Hi,

I recently installed newsdesk and love it. My store is running M-S multi stores by Ryan Hobbs and I needed to modify this contribution to separate articles between different stores from one admin and database.

I have it functioning and doing what I need it to do, but there are still a few bugs. I uploaded the package here with modified install instructions, .sql file, and version changes. If you have M-S multi stores installed and want a great way to serve up news, give it a try.

Have fun,

Tim

Hi there,

This contribution sounds great! One question though, is this an "all or nothing" contrib? Ie, once a site uses NewsDesk is the ecommece product catalogue disabled, or can a single site display both a news catalogue and an ecommerce product catalogue at the same time?

Also, I visited the below link to demo this contrib but there's nothing there so I guess it's been moved. Is there a live site using the lastest version of NewsDesk somewhere so i can see the front end (and back end if possible:)?

Cheers,

Adrian

edtiger

You can demo it on my development site Click Here

Edited by Johnson

Hi,

I recently installed newsdesk and love it.  My store is running M-S multi stores by Ryan Hobbs and I needed to modify this contribution to separate articles between different stores from one admin and database. 

I have it functioning and doing what I need it to do, but there are still a few bugs.  I uploaded the package here with modified install instructions, .sql file, and version changes.  If you have M-S multi stores installed and want a great way to serve up news, give it a try.

Have fun,

Tim

I appreciate your releasing this contribution.

I do not understand why you would call the version 1.48.4 when your version is not a follow on or improvement to the contribution. The contribution is specific to multi-stores and as such should have been released as a multi-stores version. Now it just serves to confuse users as to which version release to install.

did you managed this bold thing? i'm interested too

ok .. found it ..

in includes/modules/newsdesk.php

line 88

$insert_summary = '<b>'. $newsdesk_var['newsdesk_article_shorttext'] . '</b>';

replace with

$insert_summary = ''. $newsdesk_var['newsdesk_article_shorttext'] . '';

:thumbsup:

I appreciate your releasing this contribution.

I do not understand why you would call the version 1.48.4 when your version is not a follow on or improvement to the contribution. The contribution is specific to multi-stores and as such should have been released as a multi-stores version. Now it just serves to confuse users as to which version release to install.

Hi,

This is the first contribution I've modified that's been big enough to add it to the contribution section. Forgive me for not following proper protocol and it was not inteaded to confuse anyone. If there is a way to remove that contribution from the list, I will resubmit it with a different filename and description. Or, just remove it from the newsdesk contribution list and just leave it on multi-stores list. But, I did label it as just having multi-stores added functionality. So, at least I'm not a total DA :blink:

Sorry,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I installed this contribution about a month ago and I like it.

Here is the first problem: :)

I added two fantastic offers for my store (3 and six cartons of Marlboro for $13.15 - $13.30 per carton, free delivery). Of course, I wanted to add a news article about it. I have added two images of these offers to the article, but then I realized, that just one would look better.

The question is: how do I remove image from the article after the article was published?

I even tried disabling the 2nd and 3rd images in all the articles by setting 0 in Admin -> Listing Settings -> Disable Image, but this didn't help.

You can see the situation here: http://www.smokingplaza.com

One more problem :(

I created the news article and it is shown ok: http://www.smokingplaza.com/newsdesk_info.php?newsdesk_id=8

But, when I click on the news category link, I get some strangely fomatted page missing any content: http://www.smokingplaza.com/newsdesk_index...newsdeskPath=12

What could be the reason?

Edited by _doctor

Does this contribution download newsfeeds automatically or do you need to type everything in? The instructions just say to cliick on Articles Management to add a news article but that appears to be just a place to enter text. If it can download feeds, would someone please give me an example of how to add one?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

One more problem :(

I created the news article and it is shown ok: http://www.smokingplaza.com/newsdesk_info.php?newsdesk_id=8

But, when I click on the news category link, I get some strangely fomatted page missing any content: http://www.smokingplaza.com/newsdesk_index...newsdeskPath=12

What could be the reason?

Ok, I traced down the problem myself. The reason was, that in some files newsdesk expected GET string to contain "newsdeskPath" argument, while other files expected "newsPath"... maybe I had a mixture of different versions?..

Anyway, after I made it consistesnt, everything works correctly

I installed this contribution about a month ago and I like it.

Here is the first problem: :)

I added two fantastic offers for my store (3 and six cartons of Marlboro for $13.15 - $13.30 per carton, free delivery). Of course, I wanted to add a news article about it. I have added two images of these offers to the article, but then I realized, that just one would look better.

The question is: how do I remove image from the article after the article was published?

I even tried disabling the 2nd and 3rd images in all the articles by setting 0 in Admin -> Listing Settings -> Disable Image, but this didn't help.

You can see the situation here: http://www.smokingplaza.com

Ok, seems like the problem was in the "Sticky" status. All these "Disable image" settings don't have an effect on sticky messages. After I made it non-sticky everything looks correctly.

Still I don't know how to remove message from the news article..

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

First off, thanks alot for this great contrib, personally i have been waiting for such a thing for a long time.

:-" i was wondering if its possible to have the newsdesk_index.php display more than one news category, say i have 2 categories one is called latest news, and the other is news about authors, and i want them both listed in one main news page.

Hope i was able to get my thoughts, and thanks in advance for any help.

"Stick to the devil you know than the one you don't "