• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

NewsDesk v1.48 Support

Now onto another strange problem :

In Netscape the catalog/admin/newsdesk.php shows no news stories at all (!)

When I look at catalog/admin/newsdesk.php in MS Internet Explorer it does show the news stories that are inserted in the database with the sql statements run on the database when installing.

This is very strange! Any comments ? Does anyone see the same problem ?

Rgds

Morten

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

I had the same problem as TAN when updating my newsdesk. I found that 'newsdesk_search_result.php wasn not being copyed over using beyond compare. I had to manualy copy the file to its location then it worked . It's weird that I copied them twice using the compare and it was the only file that would not be copied.

Weird ?

I'm not a coder just a splicer.

Steve,

I had the same problem as TAN when updating my newsdesk. I found that 'newsdesk_search_result.php wasn not being copyed over using beyond compare. I had to manualy copy the file to its location then it worked . It's weird that I copied them twice using the compare and it was the only file that would not be copied.

Weird ?

Strange kind of digital interference, I must just be blessed as I also use Beyond Compare without issue.

I can copy a missing file from one setup to another with Beyond Compare no worries.

TAN did post back saying that it was a missing define from filenames.php and from the post suggested that they had missed an instruction.

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

Does anyone has installed newsdesk v 1.48.3 with the STS 2.01 contribution?

I have STS 2.01 installed in my shop and decided to add newsdesk... all works except the right box. I got following error: "Warning: Illegal offset type... "

example: http://www.mundotuning.com/catalog/index.php

I have installed oscommerce 2.2 MS 2

I'm sure it's an error in the boxes/newsdesk.php file, but I don't know much about php. The latest News box work perfect...

Mine does, re-check the your install, I no not use the latest news just the catagories . I did have it showing up till a month age till I disabled it to show.

jimmy

I'm not a coder just a splicer.

Mine does, re-check the your install, I no not use the latest news just the catagories . I did have it showing up till a month age till I disabled it to show.

jimmy

I will recheck the newsdesk installation - I haven't problems with the lastnews box, but the categories news gives me the errors...

I've done a complete install over a clean oscommerce and still have the same error... when reading boxes/newsdesk.php where $foo_newdesk appears I get a "Warning: Illegal offset type" Error... (Line 61/67/81/102)

I downloaded the newsdesk_v_1.48.3.zip file

:blink:

Edited by okori

Hi,

Just to say we are migrating our news from latestnews to newsdesk v1.48.3. It has all the features we want, however, there is a small problem IMO with the newsdesk_index.php page.

When you use the drop down menu (added by Wolfen) and you select 'choose a category' rather than a particular category, the php creates a blank page with the heading what's new here.

The same thing occurs if you click on the search icon without any text entered.

Both these actions do not set $category_depth so it defualts to $category_depth=top, which from the if else statement means no HTML is written out.

To get round this problem I've simply set the $category_depth='top' to $category_depth='products' this is in the code around line 45:

change

// the following newsPath references come from application_top.php

$category_depth = 'top';

if ($newsPath) {

to

// the following newsPath references come from application_top.php

$category_depth = 'products';

if ($newsPath) {

This has the advantage of keeping the search box so the customer can still navigate to other news categories. Hope this might help other users of this great contribution.

Toby

When you use the drop down menu (added by Wolfen) and you select 'choose a category' rather than a particular category, the php creates a blank page with the heading what's new here. 

Thank you for picking up on that error.

When I added the search, I (being Wolfen) did not have a lot of time for testing the full functionality, and it did not cross my mind to search without a word or category.

I would not expect someone to be searching on choose a category or searching without a word as this would defeat the point of a search. ;)

The resolve as you point out is straight forward. :D

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

I just installed Newsdesk and everything went fine. It didn't take too long either, and would of been even quicker if I didn't have a dodgy internet link at home!

I've been looking for a better way to present news articles and it seems perfect for my needs, so a big thanks for the mod.

I would not expect someone to be searching on choose a category or searching without a word as this would defeat the point of a search.

I found the bug as well, so there must be a few of us who perform pointless actions. :D

A few suggestions, all concerning the same page:

- the category drop down box could do with some supporting text such as ' Please choose a news category to browse'

- the search box next to it could do with some text as well such as 'enter keywords to seach all news articles'

- the current category is not clearly displayed and the two boxes above would probably look better is they were placed under the page title

- whilst there is an option to display the date (or not) an additional option for the time would be nice, for people who want to display the date only

These are not demands, just suggestions. I'm aware of how much time you've put in to the mod, and that I could make the changes myself (if I had the time).

Anyway, thanks again.

Jon.

Edited by jon_l

or read posts and give it a try.

There was text there but I removed it as the boxes are self evident.

Steve, thanks for an exceptional and useful contribution. It was easy to install and it works like a charm. :D

I need two snippets of information please:

1 - What is a sticky and how to use it effectively ? How is it different from a non-sticky ?

2 - Where does the admin area get the location info for where it looks for the images ? My admin area of NewsDesk looks for images in catalog/admin/catalog/images/... and hence shows broken boxes.

Your effort is appreciated, I love your work. :wub:

----------------------------------------

One day I will be a newie no more

My efforts are a reworking, modification and continuation to the work carried out by Carsten whom is the original contributor.

A sticky as is used in forums is a piece of information that is stuck to the top of other information, so that other information when added is added below the sticky.

example this forum where a posting by Harolf is classed as important information, this posting would be pinned at the top above any other posts that are made, therefore the post is said to be sticky.

A non-sticky post may have a brief lifespan at the top before being pushed doen of the page by the volume of other posts.

example this forum's index page, you may post and be at the top and even as little as 20 seconds later the volume of postings has pushed your non-sticky post of the front page into another page.

If your post had been a sticky then it would have remained at the top of the index page whilst all other posts made after your post would be placed below your post and slide not stick.

The information is from the codes which look at the configure.php files and the defined paths therein to determine where the path to images is.

This would suggest that you have a wrong path in your configure.php files paths, otherwise others would be having the same issue.

Howzeet Steve, well your reworking efforts are appreciated :D

Not sure about the admin piccies. It's only the ones that link to for instance the sunset picture, and then also where you used the 3 icons as a demo. Fiddled with my setting, but it didn't help. Anyway, it's not a trainsmash, I don't really need that particular feature yet.

Right, everything is working the way it should... except for when I try to access newsdesk.php - only half the page loads an then it stops with this code on the righthand side of the page

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: newsdesk_get_category_tree() in /usr/home2/wrapped/public_html/catalog/newsdesk.php on line 1275

I didn't change that page at all, just uploaded it fresh.

I'm running osC 2.2 MS2. Any ideas ?

Where are you trying to access this file from.

Your error says that you are trying to access this from the catalog.

newsdesk.php is accessed from the Admin there is no newsdesk.php file in the catalog side, it is newsdesk_index.php that is used on the catalog side.

... :huh: nevermind, to many late nite ftp's. That file ended up in the wrong directory. I think it's working like it should now. Fanx. :wacko:

Hi me again :D I've been reading through the features, and now that I've uploaded quite a few articles... is the news searchable for the user, or just from the admin side ? How would the user access the search feature, if there is one for her ?

Your patience is appreciated :P

Hi me again :D I've been reading through the features, and now that I've uploaded quite a few articles... is the news searchable for the user, or just from the admin side ? How would the user access the search feature, if there is one for her ?

Your patience is appreciated :P

yes the news is searchable for the user, there are references to the search facility in the postings of the previous two pages.

There are two boxes provided for the search feature, one is category based and the other is keyword based.

***INFORMATION***

For anyone experiencing issues with the extra url naming in languages other than english

In catalog/includes/languages/german/newsdesk_info.php and other languages

change the define

define('TEXT_NEWSDESK_LINK'

to the following:

German:

define('TEXT_NEWSDESK_LINK', 'Zu mehr Information besuchen Sie bitte diese in Verbindung stehende Verbindung:  ');

French:

define('TEXT_NEWSDESK_LINK', 'Pour plus d\'information, visitez svp ce lien relatif:  ');

Spanish:

define('TEXT_NEWSDESK_LINK', 'Para m?s informaci?n, visite por favor este acoplamiento relacionado:  ');

Dutch:

define('TEXT_NEWSDESK_LINK', 'Voor meer informatie, te bezoeken gelieve deze verwante verbinding:  ');

The error is due to a duplication of part of the code in the language file which is now taken care of in the main newsdesk_info.php file thus the error states too few arguments for sprinf_f

I apologize if this has already been asked, but is there a way to post a news article and have it show in full without having to "read more." Basically, I want on the front page what the [read more] page shows.

TIA

I love the easy ones :D

set the article as a sticky in the admin and then in the admin newsdesk sticky settings, set Display Read More to 0 B)

Hmm.. I tried that. Whenever I make the news item sticky, it no longer displays on the page at all.

Any ideas?

do you have the codes in your catalog/index.php

<!-- BEGIN newsdesk -->
<tr><td><?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_NEWSDESK_STICKY); ?></td></tr>
<!-- //END newsdesk -->

I just wanted to say "thanks". This contribution was exactly what I was looking for. It was easy to install -- the directions are great -- and in just a couple of hours I've got it doing everything I want.

I just wanted to thank you for all the great work, and for making my life a little easier.

Tam