• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

NewsDesk v1.48 Support

This is the support for the update only

This is an update to the existing contribution NewsDesk v1.4

A lot of bugs have been fixed and some language support added.

The languages being Dutch, English, French, German and Spanish.

Order listing has been initially set by Date.

The contribution is available here:

NewsDesk v1.48

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi There,

Thanks for the update!

I'm still having trouble getting the rss.php working.

When I load the rss.php file in the browser I simply get the homepage again.

any ideas or help?

Cheers,

JuJu

I also am still having trouble getting Newsdesk to work.

In the "sql fix", I still see these characters at the very bottom: ???€r€n€r€

'hehe, after almost a week of effort I was able to finish this part of the mod.€r€n€r€nI hope that you all enjoy it!'),

(3, 1, 'I wonder who€ll approve this review just to read it ???€r€n€r€n:-D');

When I click "read more" on a news story, the page just keeps refreshing

And on the index page from the code in column right, I get

Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: newsdeskboxheading in /www/c/mywebsite/htdocs/catalog/includes/boxes/newsdesk.php on line 121

jujuhost

I have done very little to the RSS side of things as I beleive it is used in feeding back to management systems such as that which can be found in nuke but dont know enough about it. If I knew more about it then I may have a further look at the code, however my main concern was with getting the newsdesk to function and not the RSS wich is an extra.

notset4life

The sql has been sorted out and the non-existent class: newsdeskboxheading was specific to my setup and css this has been fixed back to default.

There is an updated download in the contributions to resolve these issues

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

This is the complete package.

I have updated code and fixed a lot of bugs.

I have added languages Dutch, French, German and Spanish.

I have added a sort by date and column to the admin side to help with removal of unwanted articles.

I have included the missing new news item image for admin english only.

I have added a new define to admin/includes/languages/[language]/newsdesk.php

Re-Fixed the errors in the sql.

Ammended part of the code to correct the listing date so that it allways shows the latest news by date on first load and subsequent pages.

I have changed code that was specific to my css setup to the default format

RSS has yet to be sorted out

This has been much needed! Thanks 241.

Very much look forward to the RSS being sorted out as it's becoming an increasingly popular way of sharing news information and a great way of bring people to the site.

Juju

****NOTICE****

There is a typo in the install instructions where it says

catalog /includes/languages/english/english.php

this should read

catalog /includes/languages/english.php

I still have problems with these characters in mysql:

<br />€r€n<br />€r€n

line 233 of the newsdesk.sql

I meant line 333

and there is no install file for the very latest release. You mentioned

you added a new line of code. Install.txt is simply a copy of newsdesl.sql

I realised the error with the install document after posting. The install document got overwritten with a sql file that I was working on to correct the sql errors. I have also been working on the admin side of things as there were some issues with using more than three languages, however I believe that I have now addressed the issues and I am now doing testing for code stability prior to releasing an update which will be a full package complete with the latest changes and a corrected sql and install documentation.

So I ask that you bear with me for a day and all going well the new update will be stabilised ready for release.

I have now added a back button to the newsdesk listing to allow the choice of returning to the listing in order to read more articles from that category or to continue to the index page

****UPDATE****

I believe that I have resolved the issue of Internet Explorer 6 crashing.

Stability seems to be there.

I am now looking for a beta tester to help check out the admin side under Internet explorer 6

This will help free myself up to work on the code.

If I can get a response quickly then maybe the testing can be achieved today and an updated post made to the contributions area

There does not seem to be anyone willing to help with the testing, so I am having to take time out from the coding in order to do testing, this will serve to delay release. I guess that nobody is in a rush for this one.

Edited by 241

******NewsDesk v1.48.1 update******

I have now release NewsDesk v1.48.1 update to the contributions area.

This is the complete package.

- updated code and fixed a lot of bugs.

- fixed the I.E.6 crash issue.

- added languages Dutch, French, German and Spanish to catalog and admin.

- added support for more languages (upto 9 at the last count).

- added a sort by date and column to the admin side to help with removal of unwanted articles.

- included the missing new news item image for admin english only.

- added a back button for categories to articles listing.

- added a new define to admin/includes/languages/[language]/newsdesk.php

- Re-Fixed the errors in the sql.

- Ammended part of the code to correct the listing date so that it allways

shows the latest news by date on first load and subsequent pages.

- changed code that was specific to my css setup to the default format

- RSS has yet to be sorted out

edtiger

You can demo it on my development site Click Here

Edited by 241

Thanks for the update. Catalog side works well, but I still have trouble in admin.

for example, article management returns

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_get_uploaded_file() (previously declared in /www/mywebsitei/htdocs/catalog/admin/includes/functions/general.php:1385)

?

Thanks for the update. Catalog side works well, but I still have trouble in admin.

for example, article management returns

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_get_uploaded_file() (previously declared in /www/mywebsitei/htdocs/catalog/admin/includes/functions/general.php:1385)

?

Never mind...I had to remove a previous FIX from general.php and now it works fine. Thanks again.

Please note that this is a fully functioning replacement so you would be required to replace all files with the files in my contribution as there have been code changes throughout, so when I say update maybe I should have said replacement.

If you allready have the earlier version NewsDesk installed that you will need to make full replacement with the files in my contribution or you will end up with errors.

I also have a fully functioning replacement for FAQDESK as well which I may release.

Edited by 241

After further looking into it, it appears the review system doesn't work.

After I write a test review as a customer, and click continue, the next screen says there are currently no reviews. BACK ...WRITE REVIEW

I go into admin and click review management. I see the article with no title, then the stars. I click on approve, but going back to the article it shows no reviews. I went over the installation 3 times to see if it was me, but I don't see any errors on my part.

notset4life

Did you have this issue prior to using the update

to resolve the reviews issue open catalog/newsdesk_reviews_write and locate this code on line #112

<?php echo tep_draw_form('newsdesk_reviews_write', tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEWSDESK_REVIEWS_WRITE, 'action=process&newsdesk_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['newsdesk_id']), 'post', 'onSubmit="return checkForm();"'); ?>

and change to this

<?php echo tep_draw_form('newsdesk_reviews_write', tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEWSDESK_REVIEWS_WRITE, 'action=process&newsdesk_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['newsdesk_id']), 'post', 'onSubmit="return checkForm();"'); ?>
<!--<?php echo tep_draw_form('newsdesk_reviews_write', tep_href_link(FILENAME_NEWSDESK_REVIEWS_WRITE, 'action=process&newsdesk_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id']), 'post', 'onSubmit="return checkForm();"'); ?> -->

I don't know if I had the problem beforehand, but it works now.

The only suggestion I have is that after posting the review, it should say

"thank you for your review. It will be released after admin approval" or something like that. Not totally necessary, but a nice touch.

Also, when editing the review, there are 3 missing images to the right.

notset4life

I don't know if I had the problem beforehand, but it works now.

Is this working after applying the change posted above?

Do you want to remove the 3 images placement boxes or fill them?

It has also been sucggested that the buttons for creating new news items be placed at the top so as not to have to scroll down when wishing to add a new news item, would this be beneficial to you.

Personally, I don't care whether the images are added or removed, I just don't like to see the broken images.

BTW, I have found another bug. Suddenly, the categories in the NEWS CATEGORIES box is empty.

I don't know if that's what you will see because the categories were listed there yesterday and I made no further changes, but they are gone...just a blank box.

http://cybermidi.com/catalog