• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

NewsDesk v1.48 Support

I solved the above problem, finally. It seems that I didn't have my database information defined in /includes/configure.php. I debugged the admin side with all the fixes you listed previously, so that works great. But my site front page is all messed up now. The style sheet is not working and none of the images appear. Any idea why that might happen? Thanks.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone know how to get to a page that displays all news, instead of only one category of the news?

I also need this. I want to show all news in a single page. I've tried something like:

/newsdesk_index.php?newsPath=all

Instead of

/newsdesk_index.php?newsPath=1 ,

/newsdesk_index.php?newsPath=2 ,

But it does not work. Someone has a solution for this?

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

I wanted to thank everyone for there help on this. NewsDesk is exactly what I needed. I do need a little help with the formatting of the text. I was hoping someone could help me out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1) Is there a way to show the complete heading title without cutting the end off?

2) Is there a way to make the summary section text not in bold type?

3) Is there a way to cut the summary section off at approx 125 characters?

Here is my site for reference.

http://store.moderncomputingsys.com

new_pa1.jpg

Hi

This is a great contribution and thanks to everyone responsible for putting it together.

I however have a problem. With the way that we are using it, it does not work in columns. In the newsdesk_index file I need the heading to appear above the short description, then the description underneath and the date underneath that.

I have fiddled with the page but simply cannot get it right. If anyone has any idea on how to achieve what I need I would be hugely appreciative.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all i install the newsdesk 1.49 but i have problem in my site i have Italian, English, French and spanish language, i can see the news in Italian, French and English but not in spanish, i put all file you need in the directory but i never seen a problem like this, it's possible?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys and thanks for the great module!

I've installed it and works great and I was able to modify it to my needs. I've run into a problem though, that I'm not even sure that it's the modules fault. The external links always send me to the index page of my shop. Is that something to do with the module or something to do with a problem to the redirect.php?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I've just installed that contrib and I find it way too developed.... my shop is selling band's goods and doesn't has to replace the official website.

summary - instead of a specific field it could a SQL request to take the 100 first character followed by "..." by example

categories - just want to have some news, do news of a shop have categories

reviews of news - it's a shop not a band website ;)

sticky - a bit double use with the intro text you can type on the index.php language page.

would be good if for such a large contrib, there would be a better manual of how to use it.. cause I only implement the adds on, I let other people use them... and it has to be as simple as possible ;)

Error 1054 - Unknown column 'p.newsdesk_id' in 'on clause'

Howdy,

if anyone is running MySQL 5.0+ and is receiving the error above when clicking on any items listed in the news categories box, download the replacement /catalog/newsdesk_index.php file here:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/934

cheers,

stu

A crash reduces your expensive computer to a simple stone.

I also have an error like this

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '=NULL where newsdesk_id = ''' at line 1

update newsdesk set =NULL where newsdesk_id = ''

[TEP STOP]

not sure why but its in my admin.. the boxes show correctly in the main store but in the admin I cant edit or delete anything

im thank full for any help

• 2 weeks later...

First of all: thanks for the contrib. It really is what I've been looking for. I just need help with 1 detail. On the page of the article itself the date shows as below. Is there a way to improve the look of this, or even just remove it at all? I would like to extend the red border of the tabel to the complete width of the page.

Thanks so much!

naamloos.JPG

I wanted to thank everyone for there help on this. NewsDesk is exactly what I needed. I do need a little help with the formatting of the text. I was hoping someone could help me out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1) Is there a way to show the complete heading title without cutting the end off?

2) Is there a way to make the summary section text not in bold type?

3) Is there a way to cut the summary section off at approx 125 characters?

Here is my site for reference.

http://store.moderncomputingsys.com

new_pa1.jpg

Hi, I like your newsdesk list so much, would you mind let me know how to modify some files to get that like your website shows.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there;

I'm hoping there is still support for this contrib as I'd really like to get this installed on my site.

Please bear with me as I'm still fairly new to this stuff lol.

I just installed everything and went onto my site http://www.ladykdelights.com and am getting this

in the right column:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'LATEST_DISPLAY_NEWSDESK_NEWS' at line 4

select p.newsdesk_id, pd.language_id, pd.newsdesk_article_name, pd.newsdesk_article_description, pd.newsdesk_article_shorttext, pd.newsdesk_article_url, pd.newsdesk_article_url_name, p.newsdesk_image, p.newsdesk_date_added, p.newsdesk_last_modified, p.newsdesk_date_available, p.newsdesk_status from newsdesk p, newsdesk_description pd WHERE pd.newsdesk_id = p.newsdesk_id and pd.language_id = "1" and newsdesk_status = 1 ORDER BY newsdesk_date_added DESC LIMIT LATEST_DISPLAY_NEWSDESK_NEWS

[TEP STOP]

I was wondering how I can fix this. I also have a really dumb question for the install in the SQL - After the Create Table

code there is following line that says " Dumping data for table .... " Do I need to put that coding into the SQL also or is that

more for removing the tables for the Newsdesk?

Things look ok in the Admin area from what I can tell, it's just on the main site itself. Can anyone please help?

Thanks,

Karen

Hi there;

I'm hoping there is still support for this contrib as I'd really like to get this installed on my site.

Please bear with me as I'm still fairly new to this stuff lol.

I just installed everything and went onto my site http://www.ladykdelights.com and am getting this

in the right column:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'LATEST_DISPLAY_NEWSDESK_NEWS' at line 4

select p.newsdesk_id, pd.language_id, pd.newsdesk_article_name, pd.newsdesk_article_description, pd.newsdesk_article_shorttext, pd.newsdesk_article_url, pd.newsdesk_article_url_name, p.newsdesk_image, p.newsdesk_date_added, p.newsdesk_last_modified, p.newsdesk_date_available, p.newsdesk_status from newsdesk p, newsdesk_description pd WHERE pd.newsdesk_id = p.newsdesk_id and pd.language_id = "1" and newsdesk_status = 1 ORDER BY newsdesk_date_added DESC LIMIT LATEST_DISPLAY_NEWSDESK_NEWS

[TEP STOP]

I was wondering how I can fix this. I also have a really dumb question for the install in the SQL - After the Create Table

code there is following line that says " Dumping data for table .... " Do I need to put that coding into the SQL also or is that

more for removing the tables for the Newsdesk?

Things look ok in the Admin area from what I can tell, it's just on the main site itself. Can anyone please help?

Thanks,

Karen

OK .... I added the other SQL coding that I wasn't sure about and everything seems good to go. I'm slowly figuring out how to use the contrib and it's very cool. Now ... for some tweaking (hoping someone can help) Please follow this link :

http://www.ladykdelights.com/newsdesk_inde...f8e28e996c05e32

I would like to remove the 2 Linkshare boxes at the top of the page. Is there a place where I can comment these out? I really have no use for them at the moment for my site.

Also, I was wondering how I can remove or comment out the 3 News Article pictures. I've been playing around in the Admin for this but still can't hide them.

This question I should have the answer to, but it's been soooo long since I've done it ..... How can I rename the box heading from New Categories to simply News Desk?

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance,

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed 1.49 and everything seems to work great but when I go to admin and click on Article management I get the following error...

Parse error: parse error, unexpected '{' in /home/content/d/e/a/dealweasels/html/admin/newsdesk.php on line 16

This is the code

16 try {

17 if (file_exists($filename)) unlink($filename);

18 }

19 catch(Exception $e)

20 {

21 $filename='';

22 }

Everything else in admin works fine except for this

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I have installed 1.49 and everything seems to work great but when I go to admin and click on Article management I get the following error...

Parse error: parse error, unexpected '{' in /home/content/d/e/a/dealweasels/html/admin/newsdesk.php on line 16

This is the code

16 try {

17 if (file_exists($filename)) unlink($filename);

18 }

19 catch(Exception $e)

20 {

21 $filename='';

22 }

Everything else in admin works fine except for this

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Looks like you installed 1.49 26 Feb 2007

This is an update that includes the update NewsDesk Images 23 Jan 2006 where the delete button was added but this update has the error

You need to install this update NewsDesk v.1.48.3 --- 21 Jul 2004

And

No Image displays an image broken link bug fixed --- 9 Aug 2004

And

If you find that you can only upload one image in the admin section. bug Fix --- 8 Aug 2006

This will get you working

Regards

Andyy

Looks like you installed 1.49 26 Feb 2007

This is an update that includes the update NewsDesk Images 23 Jan 2006 where the delete button was added but this update has the error

You need to install this update NewsDesk v.1.48.3 --- 21 Jul 2004

And

No Image displays an image broken link bug fixed --- 9 Aug 2004

And

If you find that you can only upload one image in the admin section. bug Fix --- 8 Aug 2006

This will get you working

Regards

Andyy

Thanks for the help! Now it works great!

• 3 weeks later...

I installed 1.49 locally and have found that when you enter a review and then go to the page that lists them all the continue button does not work. I have also found that some of the back buttons do not take me back to where I came from. I have also found that sometimes when you view a news desk item the url has the category in it, other times the same page does not have it. There are also some pages that have && after the url. Is this standard for the contribution or just my install?

Thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Andyy

sory for PM, I sent PM to you before I found this topic

I will ask you a question here if you do not mind

well, I have successfully installed newsdesk on my website and I find it very useful

I need just little function, I need my website registered users automatically were notified by mail when I insert new news item in my store. Can I fix it

or can you help me fix this problem :(

I think this will be good update of newsdeks

thank

If you guide your customers to sebscribe to the RSS feed from the button in the side box from your site.

They will be notified each time you post an article.

At the moment the NewsDesk is not connected to the product notifications as yet!

Andrew