• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Forgotten Admin Password

Sam Hobbs

I have forgotten my administrator username and password. This is an essetially fresh install of osCommerce, so I can simply re-install if there is not a simpler solution. So to be specific, I cannot login to my osCommerce/admin page because I can't remember my username and password for it.

I am usually not so stupid. I usually keep usernames and passwords stored where I can find them when I need them. I did not do that this time, but I do know better.

The standard install of osCommerce does not implement a password protection scheme for its Administration tool, so you probably imposed it yourself for the admin/ directory with Basic HTTP Authentication on your server.

Some server hosts offer this as a feature in the control panel, and if that is what you used, it can also be removed and replaced with the same facility.

But if you created the password manually, the user name and password information is stored in .htaccess and .htpasswd on your server. A guide to this facility is found here:

http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/tutorials/user.html

Thank you, I will look at both (the control panel and the .htaccess and .htpasswd files).

In this situation, osCommerce was installed using the control panel, either directly or indirectly (perhaps by Fantastico directly?). As far as I can remember, I did not add any protection I was not prompted for.

I am aprogrammer that can figure out compicated programming problems, but I have mental block for this stuff. I need to force myself past it. I aprreciate the help.

if you installed your osCommerce from your control panel you may not have the latest version. you should always download whatever package you are installing from the original site, not someone else's

I deleted the entire web iste and re-created it, so the problem is gone. I will certainly store the critical information when I get to that point again. Currently I am having a problem re-installing osCommerce, but this problem is unrelated to osCommerce.

How is the version relevant to the problem I ask about in my original post? I seem to be missing something.

I am not installing from someone else's web site; I am installing the version provided by the hosting service. My web site is not in my system; it is in someone else's system. I insalling using the facilities they have provided. I don't know if I even could install a different version; I assume not.

Am I correct that the current version is 2.2? I will check the version after I install, but I am confident it is the current version.

• 5 years later...

I have forgotten my administrator username and password. This is an essetially fresh install of osCommerce, so I can simply re-install if there is not a simpler solution. So to be specific, I cannot login to my osCommerce/admin page because I can't remember my username and password for it.

I am usually not so stupid. I usually keep usernames and passwords stored where I can find them when I need them. I did not do that this time, but I do know better.

Just go to your PhpMyAdmin and locate you oscommerce database,find administrators field then delete all content password, after that refresh your administrator page and follow the rest instruction in administrator page.

One way to set a new password is to go to PHPmyAdmin and in the table administrators, add this line

INSERT INTO `administrators` VALUES (1, 'admin', '55340159dccd929e0cd2abd72cfe799a:14');

This will insert a username 'admin' with a password 'admin'

Don't forget to change it afterwards.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One way to set a new password is to go to PHPmyAdmin and in the table administrators, add this line

INSERT INTO `administrators` VALUES (1, 'admin', '55340159dccd929e0cd2abd72cfe799a:14');

You absolute star - thought I was going to loose my site in the ether when I forgot my login details. thank you for helping me reset my admin password and gaining access to my site once again.

Hello,

This post is helping us soooo much, thank you!! We need a little more info. We are not sure which line to insert this code into specifically?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Hello,

This post is helping us soooo much, thank you!! We need a little more info. We are not sure which line to insert this code into specifically?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Into a SQL tab in phpMyAdmin

Community Bootstrap Edition, Edge

Avoid the most asked question. See How to Secure My Site and How do I...?

• 3 months later...

yes great but now the question is how to change it from admin to new ?

here is also a tricky way to retrieve admin password www.paktech dot co dot cc/2011/01/retrieve-oscommerce-admin-password.html

• 1 month later...

Worked like a charm. Thanks

yes great but now the question is how to change it from admin to new ?

here is also a tricky way to retrieve admin password www.paktech dot co dot cc/2011/01/retrieve-oscommerce-admin-password.html

It's in Admin under the "Administrators" category. Click on the last user name you used and edit it to a new user name and password.

Into a SQL tab in phpMyAdmin

From your control panel (Cpanel) go to PhpMyAdmin, click on your database to enter, click on SQL tab and paste------ INSERT INTO `administrators` VALUES (1, 'admin', '55340159dccd929e0cd2abd72cfe799a:14'); -------into "Run SQL query/queries on database blah, blah, blah form, click GO. The database will update to the new user and password. Go to your OsCommerce Admin and use "admin" for the user name and "admin" for the password. Once in Admin change the password under the "Administrators" category. Click on the last user name you used and edit it to a new user name and password.

Hope this helps

• 5 months later...

OMG you are a star mate, thank you

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

From your control panel (Cpanel) go to PhpMyAdmin, click on your database to enter, click on SQL tab and paste------ INSERT INTO `administrators` VALUES (1, 'admin', '55340159dccd929e0cd2abd72cfe799a:14'); -------into "Run SQL query/queries on database blah, blah, blah form, click GO. The database will update to the new user and password. Go to your OsCommerce Admin and use "admin" for the user name and "admin" for the password. Once in Admin change the password under the "Administrators" category. Click on the last user name you used and edit it to a new user name and password.

Hope this helps

I've tried this already but is not working yet....

Please help!

CR.

@@rubiocesar83

The above will not work with v2.3.0 + So, just truncate the administrators table and then use the admin log in screen to create a new username and password

Chris

Hi Chris:

Truncate means delete it?

The whole administrator table?

Then what?

Sorry this is a little bit confusing...

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Much appreciated,

CR.

@@rubiocesar83

The above will not work with v2.3.0 + So, just truncate the administrators table and then use the admin log in screen to create a new username and password

Chris

using version 2.3.3

Hi Chris, not sure what mine is doing.

I emptied the administrators table, loged in, created new admin with new pw - but still cannot log in.

Any ideas? Cheers

Archived