• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New site ready for launch. Have at it!

ACE99

Really? Spanish? I actually speak Spanish (as a second language) and I was going to make a similar site completely in Spanish. Eventually we will do that as business picks up. We'll aslo market abroad as time goes on by right now we only ship to the continental US. It's just easier to do it that way for now. By the way, how does it show up in Spanish??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for everyone.. I am optimizing my site and setting up search terms on Google. I'm going to install the Header Tag Controller contribution to help with this, but also the guy who is helping me set up the terms wants to know how he can set up links to every product page. The only way I know to do that is like this:

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/catalog/...&products_id=44

If I was just linking to a category page:

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/catalog/...nfo.php?cPath=1

Then I can put the name of the product in the title of the page so it will show up on google. I'm guessing that's how I do it. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks so much!

Good site, seems like a good niche...

Couple things:

1. you've chosen red as your company identifying color. Good choice! Fortune favors the bold. Now go weed out all those default blue buttons. Recolor them red if you have to...

2. your site topic is one that could really do with a little more customization in the display of the product, both on product detail and in listings. Simple example from the ants page linked directly above.

You have a very nice write-up on classifications of different products, and even conveniently label green as outdoors and orange indoors. Why not carry that theme throughout the product listings? A small green house icon for outdoors, an orange one for indoors that shows up next to the name. If you want to go crazy, you might even have different iconic representations of gel vs. aersol vs. etc, since the product names get fuzzy after a while if you don't know what you're looking for.

Your mileage may vary...

man you are right on! I actually have plans to split the product tables up into categories: Interior, then dusts, aresols, etc, so they are all grouped together.

The house idea is awesome though.

Yes, and I really need to do those buttons. There is still so much to do!

VERY nice job!! Colors and pics look great.

One suggestion however, In the My Account section you might want to change the Post Code to Zip Code and put it in the right spot. That is if you are in the U.S. I'm only assuming you are. There are 2 or 3 other spots it needs to be changed as well.

Good Luck!

Miguel - I guess what I'm asking is, how did you do that (meaning how do you change it to show spanish)? No offense, but I don't even want people to be able to see my store in Spanish yet. I haven't implemented a Spanish site at this point (though that is the plan eventually), and so I'm wondering how you changed it to show things in Spanish so that I can turn that feature off. I only want it displaying in English for the moment. Sorry!

HOW TO DO TABS ON YOUR SITE:

A lot of people have asked me how I did the tabs on the tops of my pages. I believe there is a contribution that can do it (you'll have to look for it). This is how I did it:

I installed STS (Simple Template System) contribution, which allows you to make an HTML template for the home page, and the category pages, and the product pages as well. So I created a template for each category page and the home page, and then a generic template for all the other pages in the site.

I made the tabs in photoshop. The tabs are basically 1 long picture, but I made 7 copies of that same picture: 1 copy with just the welcome tab in red, 1 copy with just the ants tab in red, 1 copy with just the roaches tab in red, etc.

The I placed the pic with the welcome tab highlighted red on the homepage HTML template. I added an image map to the picture and made each tab a link to it's corresponding HTML template page for its category.

Then on the category pages such as the ants page, I just placed the tab picture that has the ants tab highlighted in red. I also added an image map to that page too, with links going to all the pages.

So basically, when you go to the homepage, you click on a tab, and then it jumps to the corresponding category page with the tab for that page in red.

That's it! Just remember, each category page has a pciture at the top with just its tab highligted, and the other tabs are normal. Just make a picture like that for every page in the site, place links using an image map over the tabs that jump to all the other pages, and you're set. The STS documentation will show you how to make the links so that you keep the session ID intact.

Good luck! :P

I guess what I'm asking is, how did you do that (meaning how do you change it to show spanish)?

:huh: Phillip, im so sorry i missunderstood you, it was just automatic i didnt do nothing. I've removed the screenshots i've posted. Sorry.

Hi,

We had just been to your store. Its good! We are trying to set up a similar store selling Janitorial products. We have a slight problem. I'll try and explain. When we try to do the checkout, the order total doesnt get forwarded to Paypal. All other info. like store name, email add. get carried forward except the order total. Do yu have any suggestions as to how we could achieve this?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks!

You're right about the proceed to checkout button. I need to learn some javascript so that the button will show up if there is something in the cart, and will be hidden if there is nothing in the cart. Could anyone give me some tips on how to solve this one?

Thanks everyone. You've been so helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

How can I speed up my web site?? I've tried everything. Does anyone have any suggestions? It's slow period, and it gets really, really slow when there are 15+ customers on at once. I've called the hosting company (lunarpages) but I don't think they are the problem.

My Webpage

ok I optimized my tables and added some contibution for faster page loading. The time is 2.5 seconds per page roughly, on high-speed DSL.

Could you guys let me know how fast my site is on 56k dial-up and other speeds?

I'd really like to get this to 1 second, but that may require a faster server. I'm hosted on lunarpages.

Philip, at times it takes 10-15 seconds for the server that your site is hosted on to respond, and then it loads very quickly- sub 3 seconds as you posted.

The problem is not your load time, or the php compiling time, its the response time of your server. This is nothing you can fix, its all on your hosting provider. They are more than likely running way too many virtual sites on one server (its a common thing for cheap hosting), and they are overloading the physical machine the site is on.

Your site is smoking fast. Your provider is overloaded and slow. I would recomend you find another hosting provider.

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

Can you guys recommend some good hosting providers for me that are already set up to run OSC? Our business is based in the US and that is the market we are targeting (for now). We'd be willing to pay around $50US per month if that's what it takes to get a server that can throw out our pages in less than 1 second.

Currently I'm using lunarpages and I'd like a hosting provider with similar offerings that runs CPanel as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Site looks great! Nice clean look, bold colors, great navigation options, and information at the top of each of the category pages.

Love the tabs!

Glad to see some people are figuring out how to use some of the niftier features in STS! :-)

Cheers!

- Brian

Simple Template System (STS)

Layout your site with 1 (or more) HTML file!

Download STS: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1524

Support: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58541

I thought it looked verynice ,kinda looks stock osCommerce but then you look and i can see you have made a lot of cool changes good site man hope you sell a bunch ,,,,but free shipping??? dont that kill the profit?? shipping costs a lot ..

Archived