• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket

lorr2000

I am really at a dead end here. I can't figure out what is wrong. This the error i am getting

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/includes/functions/database.php on line 19

Unable to connect to database server!

I don't know why this is. I have the setting in etc/my.conf to point to /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock . I can create databases and all that no problem. I don't know why it is looking in /tmp/mysql.sock.

Is it in the code anywhere that it specifies to look there.

I need help please!!!

:(

You need to post the catalog/includes/configure.php file.

Check this line first:

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/the/server/path/to/my/catalog/');

Obvously it does not look exactly like that. :D

Local: Mac OS X 10.5.8 - Apache 2.2/php 5.3.0/MySQL 5.4.10 • Web Servers: Linux

Tools: BBEdit, Coda, Versions (Subversion), Sequel Pro (db management)

I'm getting a similar error. and all I did was enable the PhPAdmin !!

This is my error:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user: 'rolltexi_oscom@localhost' (Using password: YES) in /home/rolltexi/wwwroot/rolltexinc.com/osc/catalog/includes/functions/database.php on line 19

I found this at the MYSQL web site. Maybe it will help.

[2.3] The error message "Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (111)..." is displayed. What can I do?

For RedHat users, Harald Legner suggests this on the mailing list:

On my RedHat-Box the socket of mysql is /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock. In your php.ini you will find a line

mysql.default_socket = /tmp/mysql.sock

change it to

mysql.default_socket = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

Then restart apache and it will work.

Here is a fix suggested by Brad Ummer in the phpwizard forum:

First, you need to determine what socket is being used by MySQL.

To do this, telnet to your server and go to the MySQL bin directory. In this directory there should be a file named mysqladmin. Type ./mysqladmin variables, and this should give you a bunch of info about your MySQL server, including the socket (/tmp/mysql.sock, for example).

Then, you need to tell PHP to use this socket.

Assuming you are using PHP 3.0.10 or better, you can specify the socket to use when you open the connection. To do this in phpMyAdmin, you need to complete the socket information in the config.inc.php3.

For example: $cfg['Servers'][$i]['socket'] = '/tmp/mysql.sock';

Have also a look at the corresponding section of the MySQL documentation.

• 2 years later...
You need to post the catalog/includes/configure.php file.

Check this line first:

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/the/server/path/to/my/catalog/');

Obvously it does not look exactly like that. :D

I'm having the same pb and I can't figure it out...

How can I find out what my path is for 'DIR_FS_CATALOG'??

My error is the following:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /data/11/0/133/7/948333/user/977971/htdocs/catalog/includes/functions/database.php on line 20

is it "/data/11/0/133/7/948333/user/977971/htdocs/catalog/"??

Please let me know...

Mat

• 1 year later...

Dont know if this has been solved elsewhere, but I've received this error several times during some of our installation. Every time the problem has been in the configure.php files with this line:

define('DB_SERVER', 'localhost');

Almost every host has a different setup, but this might solve the problem for you. You should be able to log into phpmyadmin or call tech support with your host, and they can provide you the server details.

Ex. Here are a few examples of what it could look like...

define('DB_SERVER', 'mysql123.myhost.com');

or GoDaddy, they use IP Address:

define('DB_SERVER', '10.1.10.1');

Also, to find the path to your catalog you can use the phpinfo(); command. Create a file in Notepad and add the following:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Then save to a file called phpinfo.php (make sure that you do save it as .php instead of .txt) upload it to your server via ftp or your servers file manager. Then in your browser navigate to the file. ex. mydomain.com/phpinfo.php

Scroll down and look for APACHE ENVIRONMENT, and the line DOCUMENT ROOT

Hope this helps!

Shean Hoxie

Webmaster- Kids Juke Box

----------------------------------

Shean Hoxie

Webmaster- Kids Juke Box

----------------------------------

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Im having the same problem. My admin is not working, i get the

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/content/x/y/z/xyzhostname/html/admin/includes/functions/database.php on line 19

The main site works fine. I triple checked the admin/includes/configure.php settings and everything is perfect. I'm at a loss as I know my settings are correct, I've set up at least 6 osCommerce/CreLoaded sites. When I get this error, I first check the configure.php settings, fix, then I'm done.

But this time, I'm stumped. The regular site works a charm, the admin is giving me a headache. Please help!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue only with admin, I migrated a client to another server and it started happening.

Im having the same problem. My admin is not working, i get the

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/content/x/y/z/xyzhostname/html/admin/includes/functions/database.php on line 19

The main site works fine. I triple checked the admin/includes/configure.php settings and everything is perfect. I'm at a loss as I know my settings are correct, I've set up at least 6 osCommerce/CreLoaded sites. When I get this error, I first check the configure.php settings, fix, then I'm done.

But this time, I'm stumped. The regular site works a charm, the admin is giving me a headache. Please help!

• 8 months later...

Help!!! total newbie to the site and to using these programs... this is the error code i'm getting:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/content/33/6718933/html/includes/functions/database.php on line 19

I"m hoping to find out what i can do to fix it before i attempt to redo the whole thing! =(

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

I am also getting same error,

It's my new store, i just upload my all data and database in to the server.

I check my all file in "/includes/configure.php" and "admin/includes/configure.php but still getting same error

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'xxx_osc'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /home/xxx/public_html/includes/functions/database.php on line 20

Please any one can help.

Thank you in advance.

• 4 months later...

Please can someone help me fix the error I have like the above...

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) in /www/sites/6b5/4c4/web/catalog/includes/functions/database.php on line 19

Line 19 in database.php is below

if (USE_PCONNECT == 'true') {

$$link = mysql_pconnect($server, $username, $password);

} else {

$$link = mysql_connect ($server, $username, $password);

}

I really don't know what is wrong and I have also reloaded configure.php with no joy. Please help.

Dan,

Typically that error message has nothing to do with the database.php file. It is normally a user name / password mismatch for the database. Confirm the database name, User name and Database Password are correct.

Chris

Dan,

Typically that error message has nothing to do with the database.php file. It is normally a user name / password mismatch for the database. Confirm the database name, User name and Database Password are correct.

Chris

Hi Chris, yes stupidly i change mysql database password, I have changed it back but i'm still getting the same message. what do you suggest?

Thanks

Dan

Archived