• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is SSL needed if you use Paypal or WorldPay?

Pompeylad

Hi,

I see everybody installing SSL on to their site which I think is great, but do we really need SSL if one uses PayPal, WorldPay or something like those? Let's face it when the customer processes an order they need to know that no one can see their CC info. Which, WorldPay (or the like) does very well.

One could go to the lenghs of SSL their whole site, which some even do, to me that seems a little weird.

So does one really need SSL if one uses a payment provider?

Pompeylad.

PHP?!? Long live HTML!!!! But then again we never stop learning.

I didn't bother with ssl since all of my payments are with paypal. But then again, I'm only a newbie and "all of my payments" means the one order that I got so far, but I didn't find any big security flaws with that one transaction. :D

Some customers don't like entering personal data (address, phone number, etc.) without SSL. I would agree that making the whole site SSL is generally overkill. However, the limited selection that is normally SSL makes sense.

Cheers,

Matt

Always back up before making changes.

One of the benefits of using PayPal and other hosted payment gateways is that it avoids merchants from having to pay for and set up SSL and the significant responsibility of handling sensitive credit card information.

Patrick Breitenbach

Some customers don't like entering personal data (address, phone number, etc.) without SSL. I would agree that making the whole site SSL is generally overkill. However, the limited selection that is normally SSL makes sense.

If I want to know someones address I look it up in the phone book.

PHP?!? Long live HTML!!!! But then again we never stop learning.

If I want to know someones address I look it up in the phone book.

Yeah. I don't why someone people are so paranoid. Those type of information are easily accessible almost any where.

Archived