• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Duplicating a site to another domain??

Hi folks,

Right here is the situation, I have just completed an OS Commerce website. I now need to duplicate and put it on to another domain. Is it straight forward to do this?

The way I was thinking of doing this was to copy my completed site from the FTP onto my hardrive and then upload from hardrive to the new domain not forgeting to add the install folder. Once I run the installation will that automatically overwrite the config file? Also should I check the box for 'Import Catalog Database:

Install the database and add the sample data

Checking this box will import the database structure, required data, and some sample data. (required for first time installations)

Or should I untick this box. Also chould I save the configuration values on this same page. :unsure:

Thanks

Mark

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a short list of things that I saved from a previous thread I saw for use on my upcoming move of a site.

First make a backup of your database on the old site and download your

site to your computer.

Then follow these steps and you should be OK

1. Ftp all your files to server

2. create a database

3. make changes in the two configure.php files ftp changes to server

4. using php my admin run the oscommerce.sql file (found in the install

directory) to populate the database with the correct fields so the admin

section will work

5. restore database from the admin page using last backup made just

before you transferred the site. This will give you all your product

data and changes to database made by any contributions you installed.

Site should now be up and running

HTH

and works for you. Let us know.

Tom

Right I have made a backup and have uploaded all files to the server. I have altered the 2 config files with all updated information. I am a little confused from where I go from here.

Cheers

Mark :blink:

do you have access to phpMyAdmin

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

Where do I start with creating the database and how do I get to PHPmyadmin? Sorry if I am being a bit behind here.

Help much appreciated.

Mark

do you have a control panel provided by your host, if so you should be able to start up phpMyAdmin from there.

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

I dont know as I cannot see your control panel, however look for something either phpMyadmin or MySQL or database or Web tools

Nearest I can find is 'Database MySQL', but all that does is sets up a new database. I have set up a new database from this where it has given me the new details of username, password etc. I take it this is probably not the area you had in mind??

How else can I run this phpMyadmin??

You can get it here: http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/

and install it. It's not hard, I've done it a few times.

But I have a question. Are you trying to keep the products and customer from the old site and move them to the new one?

Local: Mac OS X 10.5.8 - Apache 2.2/php 5.3.0/MySQL 5.4.10 • Web Servers: Linux

Tools: BBEdit, Coda, Versions (Subversion), Sequel Pro (db management)

take another look at the Database MySQL have a close look around possibly near the bottom of the page easy to miss a hyperlink to phpMyAdmin in small text, remember I am only guessing from the blind

Alan, I want to keep all the products on the old site and literally copy it along with all the products to the new one. I want the both sites running I do not want to make one redundant. After I install this program from your link what is it exactly I have to do?

241, I had a good long hard look and I couln't find it anywhere. :(

you select your created database from the left hand window then in the right hand window select the SQL tab and in the new window where it says query there is a browse button locate the sql file on your local machine and then hit go, this will load the sql to the database and the job is done

1&1 has a good simple instruction page on installing phpMyAdmin.

http://faq.1and1.com/advanced_functions_ph...ssh_/php/2.html

If you don't have ssh access just get the file from http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/ decompress the files on your local hard drive and upload the folder like you do with osC.

Not every web host has phpMyAdmin installed as a standard feature.

Thanks for that, if I understand correctly once I input new username, password etc as per the instructions from 1&1, this should create my new database file. Would I then upload this new database to the server??

Thanks for that, if I understand correctly once I input new username, password etc as per the instructions from 1&1, this should create my new database file. Would I then upload this new database to the server??

Nope. phpMyAdmin is an administration tool.

You'll most likely have to create your first database using your hosting control panel.

phpMyAdmin will help you upload the file you export from your current set-up.

How many changes have you made to the stock osC set-up? Contributions?

I have made no changes to the stock or anything else, why is that?

After I create the first database from the control panel, what is the next step.

Sorry to be a pain the a***?? :unsure:

See if phpMyAdmin finds the database you've created.

The reason I asked about contributions is that some contributions require that you alter the database, add fields or tables. If that were the case the easiest thing is to run phpMyAdmin on both servers. Export the db from the 'donor' site complete with structure then import it to the 'receiving' site.

But since you've made no changes to the db structure, only added data, the demo database should have the correct structure.

Since you're kind of a newbie at this, the easiest thing might be to do a regular install. All it does is set the config files and import the sample data base.

Then, use the technique here http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45037&st=0 to empty the demo categories and products. You need phpMyAdmin for this.

You then have an empty data base (with structure) and you can use the restore tool in admin in the new site to import a backup from the previous site.

Just try it. You can play all you want. You don't have to worry about breaking the new site. If you goof up, just delete everything and start over.

See if phpMyAdmin finds the database you've created.

I thought phpAdmin creates the new database?? Also after I downloaded phpadmin all I have is a load of Dreamweaver documents, what am I supposed to do with all of this to make it work?? :blink:

BTW Alan, I have made modifications to text and Colour etc, not sure if this will go against your last suggestion.

phpMyAdmin can be used to create the database.

the mods to text and colour should have been through the stylesheet and thus will not affect the database side of things.

Read the documents then upload the files to a directory that you will protect using an .htaccess password.

but before all this have you contacted your host provider to see if they have phpMyAdmin allready installed, have you looked at your hosts help pages, whom is your host.

Also after I downloaded phpadmin all I have is a load of Dreamweaver documents, what am I supposed to do with all of this to make it work?? :blink:

:lol:

Well, if you only see the world through Dreamweaver eyes the same could be said of osCommerce. A bunch of Dreamweaver files.

Have you tried going to http://yournewsite/phpMyAdmin-2.5.6/index.php and seeing what happens?

but before all this have you contacted your host provider to see if they have phpMyAdmin allready installed, have you looked at your hosts help pages, whom is your host.

Trust me, lots of hosts don't automatically install phpMyAdmin.

I had a couple hosting accounts with bellsouth.net and I asked where phpMyAdmin was.

Their answer: "Install it yourself!"

Trust me, lots of hosts don't automatically install phpMyAdmin.

I had a couple hosting accounts with bellsouth.net and I asked where phpMyAdmin was.

Their answer: "Install it yourself!"

Yes and if you dont ask then you will never know, it is allways advised to find out exactly what is available from the host provider. I found a few failings with 1&1 hosting that is why I am only using them for domain reg.

Have you tried going to http://yournewsite/phpMyAdmin-2.5.6/index.php and seeing what happens?

No point in going there if the files are sitting on the local machine :lol: :blink:

Archived