• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Country-State Selector

stevel

No, but I'm experienced at debugging from limited information - it's a lot of what I do at work!

Glad to hear that you're in business again.

Hi Steve,

I opted for your contribution after all and it works fine. I've got the default country as UK and Outside US and Canada showing in the State box by entering it on thedatabase as a UK zone id, and everything is passed ok to 2checkout, all the customer needs to do is enter credit card details.

I'm going to delete all other countries from the database leaving only UK with one state namely Outside US and Canada.

Can these fields be hidden easily on the create account page with your contribution installed?

Andrew

Hah - that was the solution I was originally going to give you, then I thought better of it.

Try this. Find the code that starts:

<?php
 if (ACCOUNT_STATE == 'true') {
?>
             <tr>

Replace this and up to the </tr> with:

<?php echo tep_draw_hidden_field('state','Outside US and Canada'); ?>

I think that will work, but it will also show the phony 'state' to the customer when their address is displayed. There are ways of dealing with that.

Edited by stevel

I have completed this install to the best of my ability, but have one small problem. I can't get the default country to work. I deleted all countries except USA. I then set this in english.php:

('DEFAULT_COUNTRY', '1')

Should this not make USA selected automatically?

I just noticed that even though USA is selected as the country, there are some weird "States" listed in the State drop-down box (like Federated States of Micronesia & Patau). Is there a way to fix this list so that there are only US States?

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic contribution. Thanks for this, Steve.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I'm wondering if

there's a way to omit the "State/Province" box for

countries that don't have States/Provinces?

I'm in Australia, and New Zealand doesn't have any

states, so those customers always wonder what to

put in the state box (plus, if you copy and paste for

invoicing/print-outs, it's got extra junk info in there).

Also (and this is off-topic, but refers to the same

page we're all looking at), is there an easy way to

make the date of birth an optional field?

Again, thanks for this contribution Steve.

OZ

Hello Steve!!, I just installed your contribution and I seem to have a problem on checkout_shipping_address.php and payment_shipping_address.php; when I change the country the page wil not reload and change the states. I have read the whole thread and tried the fix on the "tep_get_country_list" at the end of checkout_shipping_address.php but it didn't work. I don't have any template system. I tried the FireFox fix that you suggested and still not working.

This is weird since I have the latest version of the contribution. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix?

Thank You in advance. Your contribution is helping a lot.

Edited by ecoloco

Hugo,

Thanks for the kind words.

This symptom happens when the JavaScript function refresh_form fails. Try the alternative shown here. The original code works in some browsers, but not all. I have some tweaking I want to do and I will release an update of the contribution.

I just fixed the problem Steve!.

I looked for any mistakes or problems on your code on my own and everything looked like it was in its place. After several modifications I realized that only some part of the javascript code was working but not only in my store but also in other pages that used javascript. Obviously the problem was not your code but some problem with script handling.

I am editing my store locally in a Windows Xp based system, and after some research it turned out that the Windows Update function included with the OS sometimes can accidentaly damage some core windows components. In my case is was the Windows Script component, which impacts IE and the whole windows system. I reinstalled version 5.6 of this component and everything is working now.

So, maybe this can work for all of those that are working under windows and "mysteriously" the refresh function, or any other, stops working.

Interesting. I have not seen this on my XP system. I will note that the refresh feature requires JavaScript to be enabled; I wonder if I could make something that worked with an explicit link to do the change in the absence of JavaScript. Ah, so many ideas, so little time...

A good debugging technique if you are having trouble with the refresh is to enable script error reporting in your browser. It is usually a failure in the refresh_form script that is the problem. The other common error is to not be using the correct JavaScript file at all.

Hi,

Just a small query. After a page has been refreshed is there a way of returning it to its original position (before the country selection was changed). I (think) I'm referring to the vertical and horizontal scroll.

Thanks,

Chris

Ok, two enhancements for the price of one (or none, since this is all free!)

The refresh logic can be considerably simplified.

1) In catalog/includes/form_check.js.php, in function refresh_form, delete the line:

form_name.state.value = '';

If you used the replacement logic suggested earlier in this thread, the entire change to this file is to add these lines, removing all previous changes:

<?php // +Country-State Selector ?>
function refresh_form(form_name) {
  form_name.action.value = 'refresh';
  form_name.submit();
  return true;
  }
<?php // -Country-State Selector ?>

2) In catalog/create_account.php, replace the first change group (after $process = false;) with this

// +Country-State Selector
 $refresh = false;
 if (isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['action']) && (($HTTP_POST_VARS['action'] == 'process') || ($HTTP_POST_VARS['action'] == 'refresh'))) {
   if ($HTTP_POST_VARS['action'] == 'process')  $process = true;
if ($HTTP_POST_VARS['action'] == 'refresh') $refresh = true;
 // -Country-State Selector

3) Same file, replace third change group with this:

}
if ($HTTP_POST_VARS['action'] == 'refresh') {$state = '';}
if (!isset($country)){$country = DEFAULT_COUNTRY;}

4) In catalog/address_book_process.php, replace second change group with this:

if ($refresh) {$state = '';}
   if ($process) {

That takes care of the refresh, and it should work in any browser with JavaScript support..

Now as to Chris' request - this can almost be done. The almost is because many browsers don't support repositioning to a "select" object (drop-down box). What I recommend is moving the country input to above the Street Address. This eliminates the need for text that says to change the country first, and allows a more natural repositioning. You do that by moving the <tr></tr> group containing the country input field to above the one for street address. You have to do this in create_account.php and includes/modules/address_book_details.php and checkout_new_address.php

Now make the following changes:

1) In create_account.php, replace:

<body marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" topmargin="0" bottommargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0">

with

<body marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" topmargin="0" bottommargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0"
<?php if ($refresh) {echo ' onLoad="document.create_account.street_address.focus();"';} ?>
>

2) In address_book_process, replace:

<body marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" topmargin="0" bottommargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0">

with

<body marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" topmargin="0" bottommargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0"
<?php if ($refresh) {echo ' onLoad="document.addressbook.street_address.focus();"';} ?>
>

This change depends on your also making the one above for the refresh logic. Please note that this second change is optional - but for some stores I can see that it would help. The only problem I see is that the focus doesn't move until the page fully reloads, and if the user starts typing before the load is done, the effect can be disconcerting.

Please try this out and let me know what you think. If nobody finds problems, I'll roll it in to an update.

Thanks for the info Steve. There was one other thing I forgot to ask you about.

Say if the user fills out all the form info before selecting their country (even if at the top of the form), and the current country has no zones, but the customers country does have zones. For example, my default country is the UK which has no zones, but the customer is from the USA and he's entered his two letter state abbreviation in the state field. Is there a way of getting the drop-down box to display the state that corresponds to the abbreviation entered when the form refreshes?

Chris

It could be done, sure, but is a lot more work. You would bring back some of the code that is in the standard osC distribution for looking up abbreviations, and have it called in the right place. I'm sorry, but that's a bit beyond what I'm willing to do - if you want to try it, please do. It doesn't seem to have much benefit to me, especially if you move the country select earlier in the form.

Congrats on a terrific contribution. I can't begin to tell you how happy I was when I came across it. Kudos!

As we all know, some countries don't have states or provinces, and customers from these countries often don't know what to put in this field. Some will put things like "N/A," which store owners must then tediously remove before shipping. Moreover, several overseas customers have actually contacted me to request that the state/province field be changed so that it is not mandatory. If some people are annoyed enough to contact me about this, that means there are many more that are annoyed but don't bother to vocalize it.

For me, the ideal behavior would be to have the state/province field be mandatory only when there is a pop-up (i.e., only when states/provinces are available for that country). When displaying an input field for the state/province (i.e., when no states/provinces are available for that country), that field shouldn't be mandatory.

So, I decided to move the line for the "required" indicator up a few lines so that it's only displayed when states/provinces are available for that country. The state/provide block in my create_account.php now looks like this:

$zones_array = array();
       $zones_query = tep_db_query("select zone_name from " . TABLE_ZONES . " where zone_country_id = " . (int)$country . " order by zone_name");
       while ($zones_values = tep_db_fetch_array($zones_query)) {
         $zones_array[] = array('id' => $zones_values['zone_name'], 'text' => $zones_values['zone_name']);
       }
 if (count($zones_array) > 0) {
       echo tep_draw_pull_down_menu('state', $zones_array);
 if (tep_not_null(ENTRY_STATE_TEXT)) echo ' <span class="inputRequirement">' . ENTRY_STATE_TEXT;
     } else {
       echo tep_draw_input_field('state');
     }

Unfortunately, this change is only aesthetic -- the javascript validation still complains if you try to submit the form without filling in the input field box for state/province. This makes my change above rather pointless, since now I'm telling customers that the state/province isn't mandatory even though the javascript validation will later say that it is indeed mandatory.

Might there be a way to accomplish this feat properly? :)

Sincere thanks in advance,

Justin

You could remove the JavaScript validation for STATE entirely, as they are guaranteed to supply one if there are zones defined for the country, and if not, you don't care about it. Remove or comment out (with a leading //) this line in form_check.js.php:

<?php if (ACCOUNT_STATE == 'true') echo '  check_input("state", ' . ENTRY_STATE_MIN_LENGTH . ', "' . ENTRY_STATE_ERROR . '");' . "\n"; ?>

Or, I think, you can set the minimum value for STATE in Admin to 0.

I like this idea, actually... I'll incorporate it into the next revision. Thanks.

Edited by stevel

I'm glad to hear my suggestion was of use. :D

Thanks for the two solutions. I had already tried the latter method, which unfortunately doesn't appear to work. Commenting out the JavaScript validation, on the other hand, sounds like just the tip I was looking for. I'll give that a whirl tomorrow.

Thanks again!