• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New York Sales Tax

jsubra

We are based in NYS and need to enter each individual area tax code for the entire state for orders placed in NY. We have spent time researching this topic on the forum but have not found a solution yet short of entering each separate tax area in NY as a new zone.

We also sell nation wide, so we need to keep the format complatable for non-tax areas. Any new suggestions or previous posts that may help?

• 2 years later...
We are based in NYS and need to enter each individual area tax code for the entire state for orders placed in NY. We have spent time researching this topic on the forum but have not found a solution yet short of entering each separate tax area in NY as a new zone.

We also sell nation wide, so we need to keep the format complatable for non-tax areas. Any new suggestions or previous posts that may help?

I realize that this is a very old post but is exactly what my questions is. Is there a way to pull all of the tax codes from around the US.

Thanks,

Geoff

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

So has anyone figured out how to do this yet? My issue is even more problematic: I need to charge sales tax in about half of the U.S. states... so I have an excel sheet about 60,000 rows long with a tax amount corresponding to every U.S. zip code that I need to work with. Would Easy Populate or Excel Import help at all when working with Tax Zones and Rates? Is there another contribution that I could use?

If I'm just being a stupid newb and this is easy to accomplish, feel free to just pm me... but please point me in the right direction if there is a way to simplify this task...

Thanks

• 9 months later...
Hi All,

So has anyone figured out how to do this yet? My issue is even more problematic: I need to charge sales tax in about half of the U.S. states... so I have an excel sheet about 60,000 rows long with a tax amount corresponding to every U.S. zip code that I need to work with. Would Easy Populate or Excel Import help at all when working with Tax Zones and Rates? Is there another contribution that I could use?

If I'm just being a stupid newb and this is easy to accomplish, feel free to just pm me... but please point me in the right direction if there is a way to simplify this task...

Thanks

Unless you have locations in all the locations where you are trying to collect tax or your state has reciprocal tax status with these states you do not need to and should not collect tax from all these states. Instate Commerce Clause actually forbids it.

I'm also looking for an answer to this. Has anyone figured out a way to set up taxes by county in New York State? Each county has a different sales tax amount.

I am also based in NYS, you charge everybody the sales tax for your county despite where you are located, it is listed and noted in the NYS State Tax Guide.

Powered By osC 2.2RC2a STS 4.5.8 - HTC 2.6.3 - FP 1.5.9 - BCH 1.0.0

• 2 weeks later...

create a zone called NYC.

create a tax class and map it to zone NYC.

within this zone add all the areas/states YOu feel should be taxed as NYC zones.

set products as taxable.

These four steps and You are done.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

Hi All,

I post this with the hope that someone can figure out what I screwed up.

My sales tax is applying to the Billing Address.

I need it to be checked against the Shipping Address. (I need to charge tax for items shipped within my state regardless of where the buyer lives)

I thought that OS was set to configure tax based on the shipping address. Am I wrong?

I have read I think every post on sales tax and cannot figure out what I did or how to change it back.

Who can help? Damsel in distress here .. ok just in distress

• 2 weeks later...
create a zone called NYC.

create a tax class and map it to zone NYC.

within this zone add all the areas/states YOu feel should be taxed as NYC zones.

set products as taxable.

These four steps and You are done.

Satish

I did not see any options that I can use to map a tax class to a specific zone in admin-->locations/taxes-->tax classes. Can you give me some hints?

There are these three

1)Tax Class.

2)Tax Zones.

3)Tax Rates.

creare a Zone and a Tax class.

Then while placing tax rates apply the needed Zone.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

• 1 month later...
The New York State Tax By Zip Code add-on does work well, and FWIW, I just updated the SQL file to reflect the tax rates that went into effect Dec 2007

I just discovered a major problem w/ the add-on: New York State requires tax to be charged on intrastate shipping as well. Is there a work-around?

Thanks,

JG

osC v2.2 RC2a w/ no special templates

PHP Version 5.2.14 / MySQL 5.0.91-community

My bad, I didn't assign the tax rate to the shipping module :blush:

( Edit time is too short on these forums :-" )

My bad, I didn't assign the tax rate to the shipping module :blush:

( Edit time is too short on these forums :-" )

I am having no luck getting this mod to charge sales tax on shipping. How did you do it?

Ron

I am having no luck getting this mod to charge sales tax on shipping. How did you do it?

Ron

In your Admin > Modules > Shipping... edit the shipping methods you use as: Tax Class (Taxable Goods)

That makes shipping taxable

In your Admin > Modules > Shipping... edit the shipping methods you use as: Tax Class (Taxable Goods)

I did that. I first set my Tax Class "Taxable Goods" to a 0.00% tax rate. If I set it to any other value, it starts overtaxing each taxable product item. All I get for the tax amount, is the county tax rate calculated on the products, nothing for shipping.

Ron

JG,

What tax rate do you have assigned to your tax class Taxable Goods?

Is your shipping tax being calculated at the tax rate that is pulled out of ziptax by the zipcode lookup, or is it being calculated at the tax rate you have assigned to your Taxable Goods? I can get shipping to be taxed, but it is using the flat tax rate of Taxable Goods which I have assigned to my shipping module. It doesn't calculate at the same variable rate as my destination zipcode.

Ron

First...all the tax rates in the table are incorrect. This contribution was designed to add the county tax from the contributions tax table to the state tax rate you have set in OSC. So you will have to go to your Locations/Tax Rate in OSC and set it for 4% for NYS (because NYS base tax rate is 4% then each county adds their own tax rate). Then, edit all the county taxes in this contribution's database file by subtracting 4%. (i.e. Tax rate for Allegany county should be set to 4.5% not 8.5% as was downloaded from the last updated sql file)

Second...go to your Shipping module and make sure your shipping methods are set to the propper tax class (i.e. "Taxable Goods)

Third...go to your Order Total Module and make sure that the sort order for taxes is set to a higher number than shipping and lower than total (i.e. Subtotal-1, Shipping-2, Tax-3, Total-4). By doing this your order is subtotaled first, then shipping is added, then tax is charged, then a final total.

I only do what my Rice Krispies tell me to do!

First...all the tax rates in the table are incorrect. This contribution was designed to add the county tax from the contributions tax table to the state tax rate you have set in OSC. So you will have to go to your Locations/Tax Rate in OSC and set it for 4% for NYS (because NYS base tax rate is 4% then each county adds their own tax rate).

I don't think it really matters how it's done. I updated it as combined as that's how it's been since the contribution was first posted until you decided to change it. ;) You don't NEED TO assign a New York State tax rate of 4% then add the city taxes -- you can just use the combined state/city taxes as obviously all the cities are in New York State. My client operates out of Long Island, NY, so they only need to charge NY sales tax and no other states. I have NO "Tax Zones" or "Tax Rates" set up, and just the one "Taxable Goods" Tax Class. It works for what my client needs.

The tax chart I posted is the most accurate, currently, if your are going to do it this way, but if you want to do it the other way, then subtract the 4% for each line in the SQL. Then follow the rest of mickeymouse's instructions...

Edited by jgeoff

First...all the tax rates in the table are incorrect. This contribution was designed to add the county tax from the contributions tax table to the state tax rate you have set in OSC. So you will have to go to your Locations/Tax Rate in OSC and set it for 4% for NYS (because NYS base tax rate is 4% then each county adds their own tax rate). Then, edit all the county taxes in this contribution's database file by subtracting 4%. (i.e. Tax rate for Allegany county should be set to 4.5% not 8.5% as was downloaded from the last updated sql file)

Second...go to your Shipping module and make sure your shipping methods are set to the propper tax class (i.e. "Taxable Goods)

Third...go to your Order Total Module and make sure that the sort order for taxes is set to a higher number than shipping and lower than total (i.e. Subtotal-1, Shipping-2, Tax-3, Total-4). By doing this your order is subtotaled first, then shipping is added, then tax is charged, then a final total.

Thank you for your explanation, mickeymouse. Using your example, my cart calculates tax on products at 8.5%, and tax on shipping at 4%. Is your's calculating shipping tax at 8.5%? This is what I need it to do.

Ron

Yes...my cart calculates the full tax (state + county) on the subtotal + Shipping.

Hi mickeymouse,

Thank you for that information. I must have something which is breaking the code. Maybe Multi Vendor Shipping.

Ron

• 4 years later...