• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is USPS on the fritz?

spilotes

Is anyone else having trouble with the USPS api? I'm getting the following message on all of my sites.

This is currently the only shipping method available to use on this order. 

United States Postal Service 

An error occured with the USPS shipping calculations.

If you prefer to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact the store owner.

I've changed nothing and the module has been working fine up until this morning.

Confused worm farmer looking for assistance.

I just setup USPS for a client and it is not working for me either. From other posts it sounds like they changed something or having problems. Anyone that gets it working let us know. ;)

Are you guys having trouble with the price reporting or the actual label printing?

If you print labels from the site you'll notice they've changed the system. They now have it setup for 'batch' orders so you can do a bunch at once. This changes all the backend stuff I imagine and so the old customer shipping label page doesn't work with USPS's site anymore.

I'd fix it but I have no idea how.

Have any of you set up to be on the USPS production server or are you using the Test Server still....The test server hardly ever works right...You need to call the USPS and have them put you on their Production server.. and all will be well....

Mike Spires

unfortunately, all isn't well for me. i'm on the production server and got my confirmation email saying that, and it has never worked.

i'm going to just have to set up some kind of flat rate shipping for now because i can't seem to figure out why it isn't working and i'm supposed to have a preliminary opening in 4 days <_< .

and here i thought it was going to be easy to set it up so i left it to the end :lol: . that'll teach me!

Did you Call and get on production server or email....

If you call its on right then if you email its Auto...It can take up to 5 days after they send you the email before it may start working.....

Just A thought....Try and call the USPS using the number on your confirmation email and see whats going on....They are very helpful....

Mike Spires

i called.

i'll try calling them again. the guy i talked to was kind of rude, but maybe i'll have better luck calling again :). I hadn't called again because so many other people seemed to be having the same problem it seemed maybe we were missing something (there's several threads going on the subject right now). Someone told me i'm supposed to download a contribution, but didn't tell me which one, and i'm not sure if i really need to or not.

thanks for your help :)

OK, this is getting serious. Not having USPS on the site is causing me to lose sales. So I did some debugging this morning. If you go to the production api site using a browser (production.shippingapis.com) and enter in an XML command of this type:

(you'll need to use your own username and password) You'll get a good XML response. I've even telneted into the port on port 80, and tried the same approach with good results. However neither http_client or libcurl get any response at all. I doubt that this is a deliberate block on the USPS front, since they would've stopped my simple telnet also. This is likely an incompetability between the IIS server they're using and the 2 unix libraries. I would be interested to know if people using Windows servers are also having problems, or if it's just Unix guys. WE NEED MORE PEOPLE WORKING ON THIS, so if any of you OsCommerce gurus want to take a crack at it we would all appreciate it.

Thanks

Gene

Just to let you guys know, USPS is still working fine on my site.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Unix.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

• 3 weeks later...

SAME PROBLEM HERE:

USPS people said I'm connecting to the Production Server fine, and it must be OS Commerce at fault. Since so many people have this problem, it must be a glitch in the USPS Shippingn Module in OS Commerce.

The addresses I'm entering in during my test purchases are entirely valid.

PLEASE GURUS HELP

i just don't understand why it works fine for some but not others...and it seems to be those just setting up the modules recently that are having the problem.

i've had to set up zone tables for the country. It was tedious, and not exact, but it was the best i can do until I can get USPS working. Right now i only have US shipping available because i haven't set up other countries yet.

USPS told me the same thing...that it was a problem with the software. Perhaps if we can figure out the common denominator with those of us who still can't get this working we can narrow down the problem.

Well this is the oddest thing ever. I am almost certain its USPS now.

I had problems last week with overseas shipments not allowing USPS or forcing highest rate for shipping. I went to the CVS and got the latest USPS.PHP file and uploaded it. Now it worked great for 3 days, out of the blue I now get.

-2147219080 - Missing value for Country.

I have tried every suggestion on this site with the same results. Nothing is working.

I just e-mailed USPS but I imagine I will get the same response everyone here has gotten.

This is the answer I got from USPS

Dear USPS Customer,

Thank you for contacting us. Your account is on production and active.

The International Rates API engine was updated a couple of months ago, which

in turn led to some unexpected changes to the XML values we respond with.

Below are the affected SvcDescription Strings and what they are now being

returned as:

Global Priority Mail - Flat-rate Envelope (large) IS NOW Global Priority

Mail - Flat-rate Envelope (Large)

Global Priority Mail - Flat-rate Envelope (small) IS NOW Global Priority

Mail - Flat-rate Envelope (Small)

Global Priority Mail - Variable Weight (single) IS NOW Global Priority

Mail - Variable Weight (Single)

Airmail Letter Post IS NOW Airmail Letter-post

Economy (Surface) Letter Post IS NOW Economy (Surface) Letter-post

These changes will affect your shopping cart's ability to parse through the

list of possible international services. Please verify/modify your parsing

selections to reflect these changes in order to ensure accurate parsing and

the display of all available options to your end customer.

We hope this helps. Thank you for using the USPS.

USPS Internet Customer Care Center

[email protected]