• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

When does shop become "live"?

johnmc

Hi, all!

This has been bugging me all day... just can't find the correct question to ask the search engine, so... I'm brand new, wet-behind-the-ears with OSC. Playing with an initial install. The index states "No purchases will be charged etc...", yeah? So, I can do "test" purchases when checking ssl setup and stuff.

What I wanna know is, at what point does the shop actually start to function fully? Is there a magic button I push that changes it all to "Click and be charged!!! We're tradin'!!!"? Or a specific series of financial setup steps I need to complete?

I'm so dumb...

John Mc

The shop is live right from the beginning. All you need to do is change that text (if you read the text it will tell you where to go to change it). Add whatever shipping and payment modules you want and you're ready to go.

Thanks, Zaq!

I appreciate the reply. Yeah, I figured that if it's on-screen, it's LIVE! I guess what I really mean is, what's to stop a horde of dummies clickin' and orderin' while I'm still building the shop? How exactly does that "any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed" thing work? Do I just ignore any orders until the date/time of my choosing? Is it as simple as installing/switching on the payment module LAST and BINGO! Your shop can trade? Or should the shop really be developed locally, then finally uploaded when good-to-go? Sorry for all the questions ;)

Cheers,

John Mc

what's to stop a horde of dummies clickin' and orderin' while I'm still building the shop?

If you have a 'horde of dummies' trying to order form you now, my advice is to turn on your payment module of choice, start filling orders, and give me the email address to your distibutor.

Better to make the money now, and worry about developing later.

However, I suspect you won't get any orders until you do some heavy advertising, or get your pages listed high in the search engines indexes, which could take a few months.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Archived