• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need Help Installing Tracking Mod!

Goanna

Okay, I am installing the tracking contribution for UPS, USPS, and FedEx and I am getting towards the end of the installation.

Now I see this!

# Step 18
# add the contents of the tracking.sql to your mysql database. This works best if you use
# phpmyadmin.

Note: This will delete any current orders you have in your database. If you do not wish to
delete your current orders, you will need to modify the database structure to match the
tracking.sql file. Make sure you backup your database before completing this step.

My site is live, and I dont want to lose all my orders. How do I go about installing this now while maintaining them? Luckily, I have a version of the site running on my test server on my desktop, so I can test it there, but I have no idea how to modify the database structure as they say. Can anyone provide me with some assistance in this matter? It will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Goanna

I've installed this same mod for two clients over the last week or so. It's a great one and works well, but be aware that the install file is not 100% correct. The mod was written for MS1 I believe - the database querys are slightly different in MS2.

The solution to this final step is to add several fields to your database. I don't remember the exact names, but you can find them in the .sql file that comes with the mod. I believe they are ups_tracking_num, fedex_tracking_num and usps_tracking_num. You can add them with phpMyAdmin or whatever database tool you use. Match the field types and lengths to what's mentioned in the .sql file.

As for that database query - if it gives you an error, try removing the references to the field "comments." That field has apparently moved to a different database table since the MS2 release. Removing that from the query on the "orders" table won't break anything because that field is now located elsewhere.

Chris Dunning

osCommerce, Contributions Moderator Team

Please do not send me PM! I do not read or answer these often. Use the email button instead!

I do NOT support contributions other than my own. Emails asking for support on other people's contributions will be ignored. Ask in the forum or contact the contribution author directly.

well, I was able to do the installation on all the files themselves. I used filenames.php and databasetables.php instead of application_top.php, etc.

I got all the way to the end where I read it will delete everything in the orders table.

Also, I did get the new SQL file that says its for MS2. So is that one going to delete all my data as well? Do I still need to edit anything if using the new SQL file?

I think it will. Look at the top - if it says anything about "drop table" that means it will delete the entire table and start from scratch. I don't think that's the best way to make the sql query for your contribution, but oh well. Regardless, it's really not that hard to add three fields using phpMyAdmin.

Chris Dunning

Please do not send me PM! I do not read or answer these often. Use the email button instead!

I do NOT support contributions other than my own. Emails asking for support on other people's contributions will be ignored. Ask in the forum or contact the contribution author directly.

I think it will. Look at the top - if it says anything about "drop table" that means it will delete the entire table and start from scratch. I don't think that's the best way to make the sql query for your contribution, but oh well. Regardless, it's really not that hard to add three fields using phpMyAdmin.

Okay, so what your saying is for me to just make those three feilds, and then I dont need to run the SQL query? Or do I still need to run it?

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Chris Dunning