• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How's my site, lots of feedback please.

perpetual-burn

To be honest, I kept the basic layout cuz it's simple and clean, you'd be surprised how many people get distracted by fancy layouts.

I suppose I could tweak it a bit, and as for thumbnails, how would I go about getting better quality, it makes those automatically.

Thanks very much Mike

I think you did an excellent job sticking with the stock layout, but still making it your own. Yeah, you can tell it's osc, but who cares. osc rocks! One thing I saw right off the bat: Get the hit counter out of there. Everything you read on the "rules" of ecommerce say it's a bad idea to have a hit counter. I would also get rid of the DOB and phone # fields. People hate giving the extra info. It's hard enough getting them to register an account period, nevermind giving everything short of their ss#. Everything seems pretty cool though. Good job.

Thanks Kevin, I'm gonna have way to many products, so the 2 images thing will be troublesome, as for counter and other things, I'll take em out, do you happen to know off-hand what files those fields are locasted in so I dont have to look. I'll just take out the code then.

Thanks again.

catalog/includes/footer.php

p.s. reconsider the big images. It only takes about 20 minutes to install, and it really only takes a few extra seconds to add a second image. Nice clear thumbs are pretty important. I even think there are other contributions that produce better thumbs. But I am not 100% sure. I do know that the big images works pretty well. Good Luck!

I had a fair look round and the very first thing is the images. You cant afford to not do them cos that is the thing that people see as the first thing to what you are selling. I used a big/small images mod and it is really beneficial.

My own preferences is that you should loose the grand opening image at the top. Unless you are offering massive savings for a grand opening period, i cant see the relevance.

I thinkyou could do more mods on the basic OS layout. From clicking on the category listing i am led to the cat headers in the middle of the screen. They dont make me want to click further. In the descriptions of some of the products - they were empty. Is this because you are still developing the site?

I dont like the shipping and returns policys. If a video is poor quality then surely you should legally be able to return it? I dont know where you are based, but you wouldnt get away with that in the UK with a merchant account. If I ordered a video and it didnt turn up, as the consumer how is that my fault? It is yours surely?

Soz. Gone on a bit.

The site loooks great. I too like the simple site style and I plan to use that for the site am developing. How did you change the colors and I can find the file where I can update the Oscommerce statement. Share your idea. THanks

Hey, dont know exactly what u mean by the Oscommerce statement, but look in /includes/languages/english.php thats where alot of the defines are defined, if not try index.php in the english folder.

Changing colors, that's the stylesheet.css

Thanks for the coments both of you :)

Also Angie, I'm masking this site for a friend I know, I know more abotu html and php and whatnot so I can customize it a little at least, better than him by a lot, so yea, all the return things, not mine, just making for him, I'll suggest all the things you said though!

I personally think the color scheme is very clean and crisp and a lot better than the sites of some of the naysayers :D

an 80x80 product image for the web should never be 70k+

You need to export your images for web using whatever image application you use (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc all have this option). Load speeds on dialup I can only guess must be horrible. Use JPEG compression!

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

I think the site looks great. Alot of people seem to be negative towards sites that they call "stock OSC", but I dont think theres anything wrong with the way OSC looks. It is clean and pleasing to look at, and I prefer this look to the many over the top, heavily modified OSC sites. I think you have personalised the site very well and the overall appearance in proffesional.

The only things I would change are the header images (me, cart, finish) as they are not needed, and the "welcome guest, would you like to log yourself in or create an account" text, as IMO people are more likely to be willing to spend time creating an account when they have found products that they want rather than being asked to on the home page. Also, the search box in the header looks like its in a weird position.

HTH

Dave.

I like the search box in the header, I think it should either be in the header where you have it or in the left column above the categories.

Most people would be surprised as to how often users use the search box (check your log files). It's nice to see it where it is on your site and not buried beneath a bunch of other infoboxes at the bottom of the left column.

Hey! This site is real cool. The first impression is great. Here's something I noticed. My eyesight isn't that bad but i found the white text on the light green info boxes a strain. I could read them easy enough but I could feel my eyes straining to distinquish the text from the green background. I would tru something darker on the background or darken the text. GREAT JOB! I LIKE IT

John

Good job!

The colour scheme hangs together well. Possibly could do Not sure about the plain text links when categories are displayed... would prefer some graphical clues... but that's your choice! The only problem I have with "centred" standard layouts is that they look a bit "unstructured" to me... sort of floating in white space. I always prefer a nice crisp border around the whole show to "contain" my viewing, and a shaded background would make your shop "leap" off the screen.

My 2c's worth... but what do I know???

Cheers,

John Mc

Archived