• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Populate Problems

Lalla

Has anyone else ever had any problems with Easy Populate and getting unreliable results? I tested it awhile back on my site and got everything working great. Could upload books into more then one category and everything matched up correctly. So, took the time off to deal with some other computer issues...upgraded and then problems...and when I got back to work on the site I thought I'd better test it all again with real books with real prices instead of test books. This is when it started skipping the first book in the file. The result page for Easy Populate shows that its going into the right places, but its not there. I've tried all different ways, and files. Sometimes its skipping the second book in the list. Its the strangest thing! I thought maybe someone else has had simular problems in the past (tired to search, but we all know that's another issue) and would be willing to share what they found out. I've look at the test file which only contains 2 books each going into two different categories and can't see a darn thing wrong with it. I've switched around the top book and even made a file of 4 totally different test books all going into single seperate categories...but it still skips one. I've got 20,000+ books to get into this site and we were just about ready to take it live with some books uploaded when this happens.

I will be online all day tomorrow (Good Lord willing!) from the afternoon on (PST) so if you have any ideas, please either post here or email me! Our time is very limited for getting this site to work.... I need to get back to my eBay auctions to have an income! :(

Thanks!

Lalla

MrsWWonka

NothingButRomance.com

hi

i've had no problems, in actual fact for fun i ignored the split and uploaded a 4,401 product database.... i hav eyet to find an error.

the original database was in MS access, i imported into MSexcell, then downloaded the default EP file from admin, made sure all my MSexcell headings were named correctly and saved as a delimited text thingy file as they say.

the upload took some time but i just didn't touch the computer, i've done it 4 or 5 times now each time with no problems.

OOHH what i did do though was go into admin just before uploading the new file and deleted all products and categories. i let the file do all the work.

as ii found i had duplications coming through. ALSO (this may sound silly) i made sure the very last fields that in the file "ACTIVE" the product.

hope something in there helps

tim

Hi there,

Also check, if you have more than one language, if the correct language fields are entered for the "problem" ;) book.

If you do not enter those fields it will only show up in one language on your site.

Probably isn't that but this came to mind...

BR

Guy de Nooij

The Netherlands

Aquarius Optics

Seize the Night!

Handy Contrib:

RSS News v0.8 Scrolls news from an xml file in a infobox.

Thanks! but I only have one language on my site..so I don't even have a field for it. I'm running a test now....its one that I've tried before, but have tried so many I forgot what the results were!! LOL !! Its been a long few months! Here is the first step that I'm trying and then will have another step to follow :

I have upload a file with 5 rows...

000000 TEST BOOK FBI (category)

000001 Her Brother's Keeper BABIES/KIDS

000001 Her Brother's Keeper LAWYERS

000002 His Brothers Bride COWBOYS/WESTERNS/RANCHES

000002 His Brothers Bride BABIES/KIDS

This should show up on my site as :

BABIES/KIDS (2)

COWBOYS/WESTERNS/RANCHES (1)

FBI (1)

LAWYERS (1)

But it shows all but the FBI book (which was the first in the db listing).

I am now going to try to add some books to the store without deleting those that are in there now and will post my results when I'm finished. I seem to remember that it still skipped, but skipped the second book.... I will be adding 3 different books, all going into only 1 category and all with different model numbers.

Be back soon!!

Before I add the second step, I wanted to show that results from the Easy Populate file that I was referring to in my post above :

FILE_UPLOADED. 
TEMPORARY_FILENAME: E:\PHP\uploadtemp\phpCCB3.tmp
USER_FILENAME: test011.txt
SIZE: 3961
| 000000 | 000000.jpg | TEST BOOK | Not a real | 0.00 | 0.00 | 1 | A | FBI | LastName, | n/a | 0000000000 | n/a | n/a | n/a | | Taxable Go | Active !New Product!
| 000001 | 000001.jpg | Her Brothe | Family mea | 1.50 | 0.50 | 1 | C | Babies/Kid | Casper, K. | VG | 0373708394 | Harlequin | Paperback | May-99 | Family Man | Taxable Go | Active !New Product!
| 000001 | 000001.jpg | Her Brothe | Family mea | 1.50 | 0.50 | 1 | C | Lawyers | Casper, K. | VG | 0373708394 | Harlequin | Paperback | May-99 | Family Man | Taxable Go | Active Updated
| 000002 | 000002.jpg | His Brothe | She?s preg | 1.06 | 0.50 | 1 | B | Cowboys/We | Bowen, Jud | G | 0373708726 | Harlequin | Paperback | Nov-99 | Men of Glo | Taxable Go | Active !New Product!
| 000002 | 000002.jpg | His Brothe | She?s preg | 1.06 | 0.50 | 1 | B | Babies/Kid | Bowen, Jud | G | 0373708726 | Harlequin | Paperback | Nov-99 | Men of Glo | Taxable Go | Active Updated
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | 

No products_model field in record. This line was not imported

As you can see, it SHOWS that the first book goes into the store, but it actually doesn't..unless there is a black hole somewhere that is collecting all of these! :o

Well, I did the second upload :

FILE_UPLOADED. 
TEMPORARY_FILENAME: E:\PHP\uploadtemp\phpCCD6.tmp
USER_FILENAME: test011part2.txt
SIZE: 1963
| 123456 | 123456.jpg | 2nd part o | Not a real | 150.00 | 0.50 | 1 | B | Doctors | LastName, | n/a | 0000000000 | n/a | n/a | n/a | | Taxable Go | Active !New Product!
| 123457 | 123457.jpg | 2nd part o | Family mea | 150.00 | 0.50 | 1 | D | Fantasy | Casper, K. | VG | 0373708394 | Harlequin | Paperback | May-99 | Family Man | Taxable Go | Active !New Product!
| 123458 | 123458.jpg | 2nd part o | Family mea | 150.00 | 0.50 | 1 | G | Lawyers | Casper, K. | VG | 0373708394 | Harlequin | Paperback | May-99 | Family Man | Taxable Go | Active !New Product!
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | 

No products_model field in record. This line was not imported

And they all went where they were supposed to. The 1st book from the 1st upload is still missing, but the all 3 from this 2nd upload are there. I'm going to try another one to see if all goes well with that one.

Pay attention to the ouput messages from the script.

Your product numbers are not unique, so the subsequent occurrences are acting to update rather than add. It told you so, and even put a warning at the end.

This contribution assumes, and its documentation emphasizes, that the first column (product_model field) must be unique.

Edited by zzfritz

Your product numbers are not unique, so the subsequent occurrences are acting to update rather than add. It told you so, and even put a warning at the end.

This contribution assumes, and its documentation emphasizes, that the first column (product_model field) must be unique.

I don't understand what you're saying here. The warning at the end is related to Product_model rather than product_number. And what do you mean by unique in the context of an product catalog?

Thanks,

JJ

Thank you for our post, but that is incorrect when uploading items into more then one category. And, this is not where the problem lies. As you can see from my posts, only the first item is skipped, not the others and they go into their multiple categories without any problem.

It seems that once there are a group of books in there, the rest of the files upload fine. I still have to do more testing to make sure, but I am waiting for the friend that is helping me with my site to add another field for me.

Thank you for posting also.

The warning at the end is related to Product_model rather than product_number.

Product_Model is Product Model Number ....although the problem I am experiencing has nothing to do with the warning or the numbers.

And what do you mean by unique in the context of an product catalog?

Each item in your catalog has to have its own Model Number. No two can match....but if you want your item, in my case books, to go into more then one category, but when sold pull that book from all of the catagories that it is in, you must use the same Model Number and change the Category title. You can duplicate a line (in Excel) and just chance the Category. In mine, its all the same book, when sold they ALL disappear, but again, this is not the problem I was experiencing. I've been doing that from the beginning without any problems...its the fact that NOW it wants to ignore the first item in that database.