• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Basic Site Sells Products

dburchm1

People by nature are very visual creatures. Consumers will always shop in the store that gives them the best visual experience and makes them the most comfortable. The stock OSC layout as it stands is a great start, but its the way that you present your store and your products that gives you the advantage over your competitors. I think OSC gives you a template at which you can create a shopping experience for your customers. Each one of us has a huge number of competitors for the products we sell. Customers now days don't just look for the store with the most products or the best deals. They look for a store that gives them the best shopping experience. As a consumer when I shop for anything, the first thing I do is search for the product I want. If I don't already have a store in mind, I have to weed through the stores that offer the best deals (shipping, prices, etc.). After I have narrowed the list down, I always go for the store that gives me the best experience. Keep in mind that sometimes this even means paying a little more for the product. Why would I pay more? Because the store I am buying it from looks professional, geared towards the market and easy to use. In other words, a great experience. We are all consumers, the question you need to ask is, what clenches the deal for you? Because our stores are internet based the only thing that we have to clench that deal is how we look to our customers. If a site looks unique and more professional than the stock OSC layout that could be the advantage you need to compete.

Just my opinion...

People by nature are very visual creatures. Consumers will always shop in the store that gives them the best visual experience and makes them the most comfortable. The stock OSC layout as it stands is a great start, but its the way that you present your store and your products that gives you the advantage over your competitors. I think OSC gives you a template at which you can create a shopping experience for your customers. Each one of us has a huge number of competitors for the products we sell. Customers now days don't just look for the store with the most products or the best deals. They look for a store that gives them the best shopping experience. As a consumer when I shop for anything, the first thing I do is search for the product I want. If I don't already have a store in mind, I have to weed through the stores that offer the best deals (shipping, prices, etc.). After I have narrowed the list down, I always go for the store that gives me the best experience. Keep in mind that sometimes this even means paying a little more for the product. Why would I pay more? Because the store I am buying it from looks professional, geared towards the market and easy to use. In other words, a great experience. We are all consumers, the question you need to ask is, what clenches the deal for you? Because our stores are internet based the only thing that we have to clench that deal is how we look to our customers. If a site looks unique and more professional than the stock OSC layout that could be the advantage you need to compete.

Just my opinion...

The thruth has been said and that is that.

Amanda.

Treasurer MFC

The only people who seem to have any problem with stock designs are fellow OSC users - I wonder if real consumers even realise? (i.e. the people who visit your site to buy products not just to evaluate the design/artwork). I think the majority of consumers won't realise that they are visiting an OSC store (providing the minimum alterations have been made to make the site look more unique - colour, logo, fonts etc). In my opinion I think consumers will feel comfortable shopping on an osc based layout because chances are they have used one before.

Who's next??

I did'nt ment alot of flash and high res images i ment a site that is changed. People might not know that it is a osc store but if they have seen 10 other stores that look about the same, they might loose interest. People would'nt remebmer the store because it looks like all other stores. If you have a unique design people tend to remember it better and you might sell more products

It's good to see this thread resurrected. Like most others I am of the opinion that a non-stock layout will help your business - but I don't have a way of proving this...

I'm thinking that a site with a few original features will always stick in your mind...

• 2 months later...

Great thread... Enjoyed the different points of view. I have no idea - but a my gut feeling is ; it must be like art, if you can offer something different, pleasing, challenging, memorable - then it has to be an advantage. Why do we have Grand Masters ... It must be from the point of view of - I'd like to see more of it - for whatever reason, primal thru to aesthetic .

What is truly fab... is the big boys (the chaps that can afford the ground rent and therefore enjoy the footfall) are for once down at ground level where a small shop (that often has the creative retail ideas, but lack the cloud of mass implemetation) can match their IT depts / Marketing depts.

I hope I never get so big. :D But boy am I working hard for it.

Regards,

Gwyn

Archived