• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Check out my site

Coucal

This is sort of what i was talking about. Use it any way you want to or not. It's was just a quick edit in photoshop.

New Buzz Coffee Logo :D

Good luck, Charles

We stand in ignorance only for questions not asked. Plug up the leaks in your knowledge base and open up a flood of understanding.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, I have already redesigned the logo & suprised the owner with it, but he is very adimate that the logo stays, I am trying to convince him that a change to the logo on the site would not have a negative impact on his coffee logo. I have some here let me know what you think & which would be best.

new logos

keep it comming the site is evolving

I'm sorry to say that none of the new designs do much for me. For one thing, they're too wide with my 800x600 resolution.

But... it's not only that.

I think you need to find a way to change the color scheme while keeping your customer's logo (design-wise anyway!) intact.

If their labels and packaging already use the existing logo, then they probably paid a pretty penny for their corporate identification. That's an important piece of the business, and something I don't believe they should be expected to compromise on. If that IS the case, then I think I'd be more inclined to somehow embellish their existing logo with their red and green color scheme -- while maintaining the 'look' itself -- for use on the Web. Enlarge it a little. Make 'Buzz' in red and 'Beans' in green. You know -- work it around. :)

I think one could get the same 'buzz' feeling with the red and green used as accents throughout the site, and white as the background color. On a color wheel, red and green tend to 'vibrate' when placed next to one another, so I think you could get the same 'jittery' feeling by using them creatively in smaller bits. Perhaps as header bar and link colors?

HTH,

Terry

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

Hello! :)

If you want my honest feedback, the website looks horrible. I live in Seattle, WA and as the coffee shop capital of the world, I've seen dozens of "coffee" websites. Yours is the worst I have seen in my life.

I know you don't want to read more comments about the colors. But, oh god! How can you ignore them? It's like someone pointing a magna flashlight at your eyes asking you if you like their tie.

I really don't mean to offend you but rather to give you my honest point of view. If the colors of the actual business are that bright. Then instead of making the whole website look like a neon virus, work around the colors and include them in a discrete way. You don't have to make them visible in 95% of the page.

Take Seattle's Best as an example. When you visit one of their actual shops it is typically olive and red in colors. That doesn't mean they had to build their website with a red background and everything else green.

Another example? McDonalds. For years they have used yellow and red as their trademark colors. Yet when you visit any of their websites, they are anything but.

I'm sure you get the idea. Again, I don't mean to sound rude. I'm just letting you know how I -as a customer- feel about visiting your website. To put it all in one icon: B)

~Ashley

Coucal,

I hope you realize what I did was a quick job as an example, not production quality, but could easily be cleaned up. I think it is a good example of how you can modify a logo from the original artwork to adapt it to a special need situation without loosing the original signature feel. Maybe this story will help illustrate the situation. Case in point - our logo. If you remove 'buzzcoffee' from my link and go to www.naturespirit.com you'll see what I mean.

This is our old website built with frames and never seeded very well because of the frames, but you can see our two logo versions side by side. The original Nature's Spirit logo appears here as the square thumbnail in the upper left corner. An appropriate viewable size would be, at minimum, about 5-6 centimeters sqare because of the floral detail intertwining the letters, but twice that size is minimum optimum. This would easily take up half the horizontal page, but, being 1:1 dimensional, it would also take up the same vertical distance, pushing everything out of view. This is NOT a workable logo for a web site. It becomes an large unwieldy square at a good viewable size and is totally trashed when shrunk to a size that works. For the same reasons, the design was all wrong for a company letterhead , unless I made it a watermark, but then, what to use for a company logo in the letterhead? Also, it was in appropriate for the 1:4 signage dimensions required by our previous landlord since we were in a multishop arcade and all shop signs had to meet equivalent dimensions for the street sign display.

I did not want to trash the logo. It was a very expensive piece of custom work designed for us by a master pastellist. This is an artist who is top in his field. To gain this title he had to win three national art awards, often competing against 1000's of other artists. There are less than 100 of them in the US and he is the youngest to ever gain that title. His 30x40 (~ 3/4 x 1 meter) portraits start at $3000 US. So, I went to work in photoshop and rearranged the original artwork as you and I both did with the Buzz Coffee logo. I put it on top of the colorful background, which happens to be the background for our product labels, and what I created met the requirements of not only signage and letterhead, but also a web banner.

However, what is most important is that , no matter which one you look at, you can immediately identify the other as being Nature's Spirit as well. I did not change the expensive, signature art work, I simply rearranged it to adapt to our needs. Doing so did not detract or undermine our marketing or confuse our customers, but instead, expanded our possibilities. Customers on the web or supply vendors cross the country do not know that it doesn't exactly match our store front, but if they were in town, they could immediately identify us with no problem. And, we use both very effectively. The 1:1 is on our labels and quarter page advertising whereas the 1:4 is letterhead and banner, and, both are used as signage, the original on the door of the shop and the redesign on the landlords sign display on the street. Each enhances the other and does it's own share of bringing in customers.

Personally, I prefer your logo redesign #1, but, while I had no problems with my 800x600 display, they all are large and took too much time to load. Also,sorry but, there is a typo on #1, deliverd => delivered.

I agree with Terry on the color scheme. Red & green 'vibrate' together because they are complimentary colors on the color wheel, like yellow & purple or blue & orange. Try this, if you stare at a bright red apple for ~1 min and then look at a blank sheet of white paper you will see the image of a green apple. Same with the other two color pairs. This is part of what makes so much volume of both of the colors appearing together 'hard to take'. The eyes are struggling to adjust and they cannot. I think the best solution would be an all white background and sparingly use the two colors for your boxes. Make the box header bars green and the frames around the boxes a thin red line. Do not use red bar with green frame, green is a cooler color whereas red is a hot color, so the thin line compensates for the 'redness' by coolong it off and the thicker header 'livens up' the cooler green. The result is a, professional looking, pleasing, and tastfully subtle balance.

I'm not 100% sure about this but, since you use pictures of dark brown coffee beans on the web site, instead of making the font black, try using the same dark brown coffee bean color for all text. It is close enough to black that customers probably won't know why it is more pleasing, thus another subtle color scheme touch promoting the primary product, coffee.

If you use the green box header bars, then black/dark brown would probably not be a good font color for the headers - too much dark, so if you have to change that color, use the background color - white - for the box headers. I know it appears to go against my original advice of minimizing font style/color change, but in this case it complenents the background, doubling its' effectiveness. You're only introducing one visual wild card (font color change) by matching it to an existing color on the page, not two wild cards by also by introducing a strange new color to the scheme.

Personallly I like to use a noticably different but pleasingly complimentary color for links and a brighter complimentary version for the rollover link color - something that 'flashes' when the curser crosses it so that it is obvious that it is a live link. For example, on the site I am working on I use a VERY pale pinkinsh white (rosy)background with deep redish purple header bars and the same pale pink font in the bar, but when the link is rolled over it flashes a bright pink to attract attention that it is a hot link. Remember what Lisa said about the female demographics? We sell aromatherapy, floral scents including rose, to a clientel which is almost totally female and very often 'new agey' or practice alternative health methods, and so they often like purple because it is the color of the crown chakra (a yoga thing). It is a subtle appeal to the demographics.

And see my point? Last post by a female with a redish purple signature living in one of the New Age megacenters of the United States. :lol: It's all about demographics. ;)

Well, that's my soap box for tonight. Hope it helps.

Good luck,

Charles

We stand in ignorance only for questions not asked. Plug up the leaks in your knowledge base and open up a flood of understanding.

Oh my...

gottem down to a couple of logos...

interesting...

and I was in need of a kup o java

i wanted to see what all the fuss was about..

put it back ugly and lemme see..

hehehe

just kidding...

you know...in tips and tricks...here in the forums...

some nice soul put links to giranimal schemes

you know helps co-ordinate colors and schemes...

and nice link to style sheet hex colors

me? Its all black and white...

how simple.

I hope it was not the guy who invented giranimal pajamas for kids a few years ago. Those colors were NOT marketing friendly. :lol:

Coucal,

The site is looking MUCH better. :D I hope the owner agrees. ;) A couple of notes:

I like the very light tan/beige background with the coffee brown text. It looks really nice. I thought about that this morning but you figured it out.

As I feared, the new logo is too wide and pushes the nav ovals off the page. What if you tried making that logo the background wallpaper in the header using the html tags so that the green nav ovals appeared on top of the coffee beans? Of course, then you would loose the beige wallpaper. Also maybe make the nav ovals a little smaller. Or how about this? having the same links in the breadcrumb bar is redundant but you have the white space to the right of the logo, so... get rid of the links in the breadcrumb bar and make the green ovals skinny enough to stack them three high on top of each other of the right side of the logo like so?

logo coffeebeanscoffeebeans n a v o v a l

logo coffeebeanscoffeebeans n a v o v a l

logo coffeebeanscoffeebeans v a v o v a l

Possibly put an html <p> or <br> at the top of the header page to bring the new logo down off the browser bar. You might even need to enclose it in a border=0 <table>. whatever it takes to bring it down and get a small line of the beige wallpaper above it. Same thing at the bottom of the logo but above the breadcrumb bar.

Can you make the Buzz logo an invisible gif so that the beige backs it up instead of the white bmp background?

Maybe change "What's New?" to "What's the 'Buzz'?" and "Categories" to "Our Products""

Maybe pick out a single real coffee bean from the scan and use it instead of the 'cartoon' looking coffee bean.

Try the coffee brown text in the green and red breadcrumb bars at the to and bottom.

the red infobox header bars was still a little too bright. but I'm not sure I like dropping the color from the infobox header bars altogether. The text is getting lost. Did you try green bars with the red frames? It might balance the page. And maybe change the footer bar to green. A little red goes a long way. Maybe, if you want to keep the infobox header bars without color, increase the size of the font to make them stand out a 'little' more, not huge.

I'd still like to see a bag, or maybe a grinder, with the loose pile of beans under new products for March. Something to 'showcase. them.

I'm still unclear as to what os Commerce 2.2-MS2 is doing in the center of the page.

Good luck,

Charles

Orrrr,

Remove the nav ovals altogether, leaving the nav links in the breadcrumb bar. Then resample the new logo about 1 centimeter taller. This will show off the Buzz Coffee logo better, which appears to be in danger of getting lost. This will also take up more of the horizontal white space on the right side of the header. Or, you could simply resample the new logo just enough to make the beans reach all the way across the page. But I still think you need a little beige above and below it.

Charles

How about, get rid of 'Welcome Guest' and change the heading from 'Buzz Coffee' to

Welcome to the Buzz Online Coffee Shop

...and everywhere the name Buzz appears make it red and Times New Roman, as I did above. It matches the name in the logo and so carries the logo throughout the website, or at leat on the front page. FYI, I sized the line at 7 but sized Buzz at 10 to make it work. The inline text Buzz is red, Times New Roman, size=3, and bold.

Also, you might want to change

Andrew Gross, roasts the green beans

to

Andrew Gross, roasts the green coffee beans

since green beans are also a vegetable. :rolleyes:

Charles

Ok, Help, the site is in trouble.I have tried the space at the top & get two small black letters on the top & I don't know where they are coming from. I also tried once more to change the greeting & now have an error at the top, this has happened every time I try to change this message. I hate that message & want to chance it. How can I do this without upsetting the very sensitive settings. All I did this time was add the extra text, I didn't delete anything. I have also been looking for the os Commerce 2.2-MS2 text in my page but cant locate it to delete. I tried pictures of coffee beans & it looked like dog doo, hence the drawing.

:huh:

Hmmm..., these should be the easiest of edits. I hope you saved a copy of the edited file before you edited it so you can restore and try again?

Without knowing exacxtly what the two letters are, it is hard to diagnose what went wrong in the header. Possibly a missing html tag delimiter such as < or >?

You didn't say what file you edited so it's hard to know where to start. The parse errors can be hard to figure out sometimes because the problem can actually be in the file calling the file identified in the parse error. Case in point, the parse error says the error is in english.php, but english.php assigns the text to the text lable names now showing on the screen in place of the actual text. So, If I had to guess, the parse error may be in the require statement which calls catalog/includes/languages/english.php instead of in english.php itself. It is probably a missing semicolon or php tag delimiter.

The greeting is found in catalog/includes/languages/english.php. Look for the following code near the bottom of the file.

define('TEXT_GREETING_PERSONAL', 'Welcome back <span class="greetUser">%s!</span>');
define('TEXT_GREETING_PERSONAL_RELOGON', '<small>If you are not %s, please <a href="%s"><u>log yourself in</u></a> with your account information.</small>');
define('TEXT_GREETING_GUEST', 'Welcome <span class="greetUser">Guest!</span>');

The text for the welcome page should be edited in catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php under define('TEXT_MAIN'... so this is where you should be able to find 'os Commerce v2-MS2'.

Now, I don't know how your catalog/includes/header.php is modified, but near the top you shoud be able to fine some code like this

if ( (WARN_DOWNLOAD_DIRECTORY_NOT_READABLE == 'true') && (DOWNLOAD_ENABLED == 'true') ) {
   if (!is_dir(DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD)) {
     $messageStack->add('header', WARNING_DOWNLOAD_DIRECTORY_NON_EXISTENT, 'warning');
   }
 }

if ($messageStack->size('header') > 0) {
   echo $messageStack->output('header');
 }
?>
<table align="center" border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5">

<! Logo in header >

<tr>
<td align="center">

<table align="center" border="0" width="75%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"  valign="bottom"><tr><td align="center" class="logoborder">

<?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' .   tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'banners/newlogo.gif') ?> </a>

</td></tr></table>

</td></tr>

the top half is to help you identify the code you're looking for. What you're interested in here is the table presenting the logo in the header. Try adjusting the cellpadding to get the whitespace around the logo. You can also add another <td> in the row and within that, place another table with three rows, each row containing one of the green nav ovals, if you want to stack them. Be sure to align center. Something like the following. My comments are in red and should NOT be coded. Code to be added is in green. This code is not presented in the code tags so I can use the colors to illustrate.

if ( (WARN_DOWNLOAD_DIRECTORY_NOT_READABLE == 'true') && (DOWNLOAD_ENABLED == 'true') ) {

if (!is_dir(DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD)) {

$messageStack->add('header', WARNING_DOWNLOAD_DIRECTORY_NON_EXISTENT, 'warning');

}

}

if ($messageStack->size('header') > 0) {

echo $messageStack->output('header');

}

?>

<table align="center" border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5">

<! Logo in header >

<tr>

=====> this is the table data containing the logo

<td align="center">

<table align="center" border="0" width="75%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" valign="bottom"><tr><td align="center" class="logoborder">

<?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'banners/newlogo.gif') ?> </a>

</td></tr></table>

</td>

=======> Add this code to stack the green nav ovals

<td>

<table align="center" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td align="center">

<?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . green nav oval image1 ?> </a>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td align="center">

<?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . green nav oval image2 ?> </a>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td align="center">

<?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . green nav oval image3 ?> </a>

</td>

</tr>

</table>

</td>

=====> end of added code

</tr>

Too bad about the coffee bean image.

I hope this helps. I've got to go to bed now because I have to get up early and it is already 1:00 am here. I'll check in later this evening.

Good luck,

Charles

Ok Charles, I fixed the problem in dream weaver. for some reason the os-commerce site won't let me do it ? a little bug I suppose. I too have to go to bed now, my chemo drugs are kicking in & I'm too spaced to work. will tune in again in the morning. Thanks for all your help. :D

Chris,

Happy to help. The site's looking good.

WHOA, What a change! You've been holding out. That's the best yet. Looks like you threw everything out the window and 'brewed up' a fresh paradigm. Cool.

Charles

PS. you'ld better post a new link and/or disable the old version so the OSC critics don't jump to wrong conclusions.

Charles

Hi Chris,

Just dropped by to ask a few questions of my own on box repositioning and decided to srop by and look at your redesigned BUZZ site. It's definitely evolving! I was pleasantly surprised with an easy-on-the eyes informative page on coffee.The banner's and logo's not bad either and I like how you incorporated those company colors in the bars with good taste.

I was wondering though...What happened to OSC? Your links from your main page seem to be all hard-coded. Didn't see any php.

Anyway, take a look at the main page's source. It has a lot of duplicate stuff in the header area.

Take care

Regards,

Lisa

GLK

Oh, I found your catalog. I actually found a coffee I liked and followed the link which took me to the catalog. Like I said, I like the site now. Good job Chris.

Lisa

GLK

Dude, I'm wondering why this topic is so popular! From what I can see you haven't moved away from the default setup!

So to be harsh, but from all back slapping I'm not sure if anyone has given you a proper crit.

The graphic at the top is huge, cut it down - reduce the filesize

Get rid of the bright green bars at top and bottom

The font size is too small for the general text. There's alot of info on the homepage, perhaps reduce it, use large Headings, etc., to break it up.

to the Buzz online Coffeeshop text in Times New Roman looks bad

The graphics of the products should have borders around them, so they stand out.

Do you really need Languages on the right side bar? Is Australian a language?

If you were really going to develop the site, I'd suggest perhaps moving away from the default setup, taking alot of the OS stuff out, implementing new PHP, changing the way the breadcrumb setup is working - just make it look different!

Good luck!

Misohoni,

Dude... dude is really a dudette :lol: (sorry Chris)

and don't follow the link on page 1 of this thread. Go to this one.

Buzz Coffee

(Chris, I told you they'd get confused ;) )

Charles

If you were really going to develop the site, I'd suggest perhaps moving away from the default setup, taking alot of the OS stuff out, implementing new PHP, changing the way the breadcrumb setup is working - just make it look different!

I havn't moved from oscommerce as First I'm new to this, Second & most important, I was thinking of doing so but this site is the default because it works. take a look at amazon.com, this is the set up we use because it works, the market has proven it. Besides I think its find. I have looked at your site & 'dude' please change it.

I have changed the logo to be larger on everyones suggestions, do you thinks its too big now. I'll go in & reduce the information on the front page, I agree there is too much. Also to Charles, I put in a new post with the new thread but it appears with the old one?? any suggestions. I also did a new coffee bean picture & I think it's better.

Dudette,

OK thanks for clearing that up. Althought the colours still remain the same, I think you stubborn so won't change them haha.

I'm new to this also, so no excuses there! I found your site crit of mine very helpful " I have looked at your site & 'dude' please change it."

As for the default setup, yes I know all about Amazon/Barnes Noble/Ebay etc., yes they all look the same. Although your site hasn't as much content as them so you can afford to shift stuff and take stuff out.

For the latest link, I'd put a border around the table in the middle or a border on the right right. The white space leads onto nothing (although I see the graphic follows the same route).

One tip is to split the graphic, save as a JPEG. That way you'll have more colours on the image and make it look better

On Coffee sales (add a _ in the filename where a space is) the 9.95 is cut off. Again these pages need some sort of border.

Its really nice to see a thread about a single site where (apart from the couple of boneheads repeating old criticisms) constructive comments are being made to help a relative newbie, and not only this, the designer involved is actually taking notice of the comments.

The site is looking really good now, I think Anne should be proud of her acheivements. Not quite sure about the entry pages, a little confusing (i.e. if you like tea, click the tea 2 teas link, choose black mountain and click buy now you get to the oscommerce bit of the store and have to start looking for black mountain from scratch) - think it may be easier to use the oscommerce page as your index page and link to other info pages from it, maybe making them within the site like many people have done so that the information is presented in the same layout as the actual catalogue and gives the whole website a consistent look and feel. (have a look at http://www.niknakgroup.com/niknak/hallmarking.php for a working demonstration, http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,701 is the contribution to acheive this).

You also still have "osCommerce 2.2-MS2." in red on your catalogue start page, just above the featured products box towards the bottom of the page.

Also, you "shipping and returns", privacy and "terms of use" pages are a little on the sparse side - might be worth following the earlier advice on the page and seeing what other sites are offering on these pages to either copy and modify or even just to give a better idea of what to put in these pages - a solid, no-nonsense but most eventualities covered policy in all three areas will reap its own rewards with higher sales conversions, so the three pages are well worth investing time in.

I still think the search box needs to be more prominent, and probably higher on the page, but this is just my personal preference and a little nugget to add to your multiple advisors who have decided to post on this thread.

All in all, the site is definitely moving in the right direction, and has come a very long way in the last 10 days since this thread began. Dont worry about the multiple criticisms, either from me or from everybody else - take what you want, leave what you dont. In the end, the site has to satisfy your customer, their customers and your own sense of design and proffessional pride. The biggest bugbear for me though is the entry pages not actually leading you to anywhere. I chose a product only to be asked to try and find it again. Would definitely put the casual customer off completing a purchase in my eyes.

Enjoy, amend, and I look forward to seeing the finished product. Hope my words have helped! ;)

Please note - if I have suggested a contrib above, it doesnt mean it will work! Most of the contribs are not ones I've used, but may be useful for your particular problem....

Have you tried a refined search? Chances are your problem has already been dealt with elsewhere on the forums.....

if (stumped == true) {

return(square_one($start_over)

} else {

$random_query = tep_fetch_answer($forum_query)

}

Chris,

I hope my taking the 'Dude' issue to task hasn't earned you a nickname :lol: (Behave Misohoni.)

Actually yes, I have a suggestion about the links. Apparently you have two versions of the web site up.

www.buzzcoffee.com.au with all the OSC files (and presumably the folders) for the new site in the root directory (no 'catalog' folder)

and

www.buzzcoffee.com.au/catalog where all the OSC files and folders are rooted in the 'catalog' directory.

This is why I posted the new link in both threads, but the www.buzzcoffee.com.au/catalog link is the one posted on page 1 of the original thread and what most people are seeing. You could delete the catalog folder, which would cause an error when the link in the thread is invoked - no good. So, delete all of the contents of the 'catalog' folder ONLY in the root directory but leaving the 'catalog' folder (do NOT delete the other files in the root directory, which is the new site) and place an index.html in the 'catalog' folder which redirects traffic to the www.buzzcoffee.com.au site in the root directory. That way all roads lead to 'Rome'.

Maybe shrink the logo just enough to get rid of the horizontal scroll bar on an 800x600 screen.

What is that turquoise bar under the header nav bar? It doesn't match the color scheme. Is that the breadcrumb bar?

Pipes between links are all white except for one in the footer nav bar which is brown. They need to be all the same color, preferably to match the font color.

The coffee machine page looks much better with smaller images. Is the word 'crema' a typo or 'Aussie English" (hehe)?

The Silvia produces

outstanding espresso with rich crema

I really like the single coffee bean image on the old site. Maybe you could use it instead of bullets on the 'Coffee Recipes' and 'Who are We?' pages

The green and red coffee cup is cool. B)

Harry's email link on the Cafe Buzz page is blue

I try not to repeat suggestions but this one seems more important to me. I really think you should try to reconstruct the logo to eliminate the white background on the Buzz coffee bag. It sticks out as inconsistent with the overall quality of the site.

The site's lookin' fair dinkin'!

Good luck,

Charles

Anne,

Apparently I keep calling you Chris in my posts. I abjectly apologize. I have no idea where I got that name from.

charles

Archived