• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Scrambled brains

Hi all. I have been looking around here and this is a great site. I got done doing the install and everything just fine on Feb. 28th. I guess you could say I am as dumb as a rock with PHP. I am in the process of building my site (link is on the bottom) I currently use PayPal code on it and will be changing once I understand how to integrate this cart system. I have been having some problems editing the pages to look how I want it to look. So here are a few questions I hope some of you nice PHP masters can help me with.

Ok, as I am going thru the admin section changing things around the best that I understand, I have a few more questions:

* What does the numbers "5", "4", etc. mean in an area like "Stock re-order level"?

* What do I need to do to get rid of this warning label: "Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: **********/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file." ?

* Should I "Verify e-mail addresses through DNS" ? (I say no), but what do you all think?

* I am looking through the Tax section and Shipping Modules section and the"Shipping Zone" for WA isn't listed. Is there somwhere else that I have to select my state that I didn't? All that is listed there is Florida.

* I am not sure what the "Tax classes" section for, anyone know?

* For "currencies", is there a way for it to automatically update the currency? I want to add Canada in it, but since the rate changes daily how am I supposed to kow what to put for it?

* Do I have to upload new language packs for every new language I want displayed?

* How do I get the backup to work? It says to set it in the configue.php

* I have 3 different e-mail addresses to use. How do I assign them for different things? Like: 1 for Customer Service, 1 for Order submissions & 1 for newsletters.

* Well, I tried to edit the main text and now it tells me I have a parse error and nothing shows up on the main page. I am just trying to edit the text. So, here is what my code looks like:

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'Thank you for visiting our Gift Store! Shop online with confidence at Elysian Eden. We think you'll find us a great place for gift-givers to shop. Here you can find thousands of national and international products of quality which include unique gifts, figurines, sculptures, home and garden decor, toys, electronics, bath and beauty items, dolls, gadgets, camping gear, and collectibles you'll find at the guaranteed lowest delivered price.. There is something for everyone. We have items for Holidays, Special occasions, Birthdays, Graduations, Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Weddings, Christmas, Halloween, Easter, Valentines Day, etc.<BR><BR>

Browse our thousands of gift and decorating ideas by category, search for items by word or phrase, or browse our extensive cross-referenced index with over 60 categories. Each item is backed by our 60 day, no questions asked, money back guarantee and safe delivery is guaranteed. We encourage you to browse in our store and if we can help you in any way please let us know.<br><br> .......

The text should look like this:

"Thank you for visiting our Gift Store! Shop online with confidence at Elysian Eden. We think you\'ll find us a great place for gift-givers to shop. Here you can find thousands of national and international products of quality which include unique gifts, figurines, sculptures, home and garden decor, toys, electronics, bath and beauty items, dolls, gadgets, camping gear, and collectibles you'll find at the guaranteed lowest delivered price.. There is something for everyone. We have items for Holidays, Special occasions, Birthdays, Graduations, Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Weddings, Christmas, Halloween, Easter, Valentines Day, etc.

Browse our thousands of gift and decorating ideas by category, search for items by word or phrase, or browse our extensive cross-referenced index with over 60 categories. Each item is backed by our 60 day, no questions asked, money back guarantee and safe delivery is guaranteed.

We encourage you to browse in our store and if we can help you in any way please let us know."

If you want to see what the full messed up page looks like, here it is: www.elysianeden.com/catalog

* How do install the contributions? Some don't come with "readme" docs.

I hope someone can help me out as well. I have looked in the Wiki docs, but they are no help.

Ok that's all for now. Thank you so much everyone.

First off, most of your questions would be answered by A, searching the forums, or B, reading the "Collaborative Documentation Effort." Links to both features can be found a few inches higher on your screen. I'm well aware that the documentation (aka WIKI docs) is sparse, but there is some good info there. The forums are a much better source. Hint - the default search operator is "or." A search for "black beans" returns everything talking about black, or beans. A search for "+black +beans" returns only posts with both words.

Anyway, read on...

"Stock re-order level" means that you need to reorder that product from the manufacturer when your stock reaches that point. I think you have to download a contribution to run a report on which stock needs to be re-ordered. I use QuickBooks to take care of that, so I'm not entirely sure. Search the forums, I'm sure you'll find more information on it.

To change permissions, you need to CHMOD that file. If you have shell access to your server, type "CHMOD 664 configure.php" into the command line. If you have WSFTP, you can right-click on the file and it pops up a menu, CHMOD should be one of the choices. If you're running Windows server, I can't help you - search the forums.

"Verify email addresses through DNS" - hrm....good question. Mine is set to false. I've had a few customers give me wrong emails, but it hasn't caused a problem yet. Search the forums if you want more information.

Shipping zones...to define what zone you're in, look at Configuration->My Store and define the zone for your store. Then, look under Localizations->Tax Zones and set up zones in there for where you need to charge sales tax (probably just your state). Then you can restrict payment/shipping modules to those zones, and only people within the zone you specify will see that particular payment or shipping module.

Tax classes - this is to set up your sales tax information.

Currencies - good question, I don't know...I deal only in dollars. Search the forums.

Yes, you have to upload new language packs for every language other than the three that are included - English, French and German. If you add contributions to your site that include updates to language files, make sure you update the language files in every language that you use.

The backup system - let me guess, the error says "Backup directory ______ does not exist, please set it in configure.php." Do what the error says. Open configure.php, find the line that defines the backup directory, and point it to a directory that does exist. Alternately, create the directory that the line is looking for. I think it's catalog/backup/, but read the error message to make sure.

Email addresses - if you want to make each one different, I think you'll have to go into the code. You can set your main email address in the configuration screen, and put a different address in the "send extra order emails to" field to get another email about orders. I don't think there's another way without code editing.

Your main text - put a \ before any apostrophe you put in there. Right away, I see the word "you'll.' Type it as "you\'ll." PHP sees the ' as ending the string for TEXT_MAIN, so the stuff after that causes the parse error. Hint - get a good PHP editor. I recommend PHPEdit - it's open source and runs on windows. It will color-code everything so it's obvious when you have an extra ' or you missed something. Google search for it. FYI - many new users have the problem. This has been discussed repeatedly in the forums. Search is your friend. I searched for "+parse +error +TEXT_MAIN" and the first several posts it pulled up would have solved your problem.

If there's no readme in a contribution file, make one and upload the new package! The easiest way to deal with it is to download a program such as Beyond Compare to look at the differences between two files. Open the file in the contribution package, open the same file from your store, it shows you the differences, copy over what you need. Then make that readme file and upload the new package.

Whew...that's a lot. Good luck!

Chris Dunning

osCommerce, Contributions Moderator Team

Please do not send me PM! I do not read or answer these often. Use the email button instead!

I do NOT support contributions other than my own. Emails asking for support on other people's contributions will be ignored. Ask in the forum or contact the contribution author directly.

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'make sure that your text is between the single quotes all apostrophes are escaped with the backslash let\'s and that the text ends with');

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

WOW! Thank you soooooooo much! I will try your suggest immediatly. I actually have been trying to use ' \ ', but within the admin it refuses to save it and creates a blank page with the parse error. But I will keep working on it and see what I come up with :)

I know it probably isn't a smart idea for someone who really doesn't know PHP to use OSC, but I don't have an extra $200 for another good cart system. Plus the other free ones are pretty bad with little features like this one. I would rather learn the code the best that I can than have a near feature less cart.

Again, thank you very much :)

I just answered the backslash problem in the other thread

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Are you using the file editor within the admin? Bad idea. Get a good FTP client, download the file, edit it on your machine (using PHPEdit, or Notepad as a last resort), save and upload.

FYI - before I started using osCommerce to run my store, I knew 0 PHP. Now my store is up and running and I'm making as much money from doing PHP work for other people as I am from my store. It's not that hard to learn.

Chris Dunning

osCommerce, Contributions Moderator Team

Please do not send me PM! I do not read or answer these often. Use the email button instead!

I do NOT support contributions other than my own. Emails asking for support on other people's contributions will be ignored. Ask in the forum or contact the contribution author directly.

Thank you both.

241 - I saw your other post :) I tried, but didn't work.

I did download PHPedit and it is giving me the same parse error, which means on line 14 there is something that is missing and I don't know what it is since I have done all the suggestions everyone has told me :(

BlueNote - I was using the Admin, until you all said not to so now I am not :) I do agree...PHP shouldn't be too hard, but all I want to do right now is edit the main text and for some reason there must be a syntax that I am missing somewhere. I am sure I shouldn't do this, but I will include the entire code as is...maybe some of will see where I made the mistake.

<?php

/*

$Id: index.php,v 1.1 2003/06/11 17:38:00 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'Thank you for visiting our Gift Store! Shop online with confidence at Elysian Eden. We think you will find us a great place for gift-givers to shop. Here you can find thousands of national and international products of quality which include unique gifts, figurines, sculptures, home and garden decor, toys, electronics, bath and beauty items, dolls, gadgets, camping gear, and collectibles you will find at the guaranteed lowest delivered price. There is something for everyone. We have items for Holidays, Special occasions, Birthdays, Graduations, Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Weddings, Christmas, Halloween, Easter, Valentines Day, etc.

Browse our thousands of gift and decorating ideas by category, search for items by word or phrase, or browse our extensive cross-referenced index with over 60 categories. Each item is backed by our 60 day, no questions asked, money back guarantee and safe delivery is guaranteed. We encourage you to browse in our store and if we can help you in any way please let us know./b></font>');

define('TABLE_HEADING_NEW_PRODUCTS', 'New Products For %s');

define('TABLE_HEADING_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS', 'Upcoming Products');

define('TABLE_HEADING_DATE_EXPECTED', 'Date Expected');

if ( ($category_depth == 'products') || (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) ) {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Welcome to Elysian Eden!');

define('TABLE_HEADING_IMAGE', '');

define('TABLE_HEADING_MODEL', 'Model');

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCTS', 'Product Name');

define('TABLE_HEADING_MANUFACTURER', 'Manufacturer');

define('TABLE_HEADING_QUANTITY', 'Quantity');

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRICE', 'Price');

define('TABLE_HEADING_WEIGHT', 'Weight');

define('TABLE_HEADING_BUY_NOW', 'Buy Now');

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS', 'There are no products to list in this category.');

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS2', 'There is no product available from this manufacturer.');

define('TEXT_NUMBER_OF_PRODUCTS', 'Number of Products: ');

define('TEXT_SHOW', '<b>Show:</b>');

define('TEXT_BUY', 'Buy 1 \'');

define('TEXT_NOW', '\' now');

define('TEXT_ALL_CATEGORIES', 'All Categories');

define('TEXT_ALL_MANUFACTURERS', 'All Manufacturers');

} elseif ($category_depth == 'top') {

} elseif ($category_depth == 'nested') {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Categories');

}

?>

./b></font>

not sure if this is meant or not but could be your problem

try this

<?php
/*
$Id: index.php,v 1.1 2003/06/11 17:38:00 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright ? 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'Thank you for visiting our Gift Store! Shop online with confidence at Elysian Eden. We think you will find us a great place for gift-givers to shop. Here you can find thousands of national and international products of quality which include unique gifts, figurines, sculptures, home and garden decor, toys, electronics, bath and beauty items, dolls, gadgets, camping gear, and collectibles you will find at the guaranteed lowest delivered price. There is something for everyone. We have items for Holidays, Special occasions, Birthdays, Graduations, Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Weddings, Christmas, Halloween, Easter, Valentines Day, etc.
Browse our thousands of gift and decorating ideas by category, search for items by word or phrase, or browse our extensive cross-referenced index with over 60 categories. Each item is backed by our 60 day, no questions asked, money back guarantee and safe delivery is guaranteed. We encourage you to browse in our store and if we can help you in any way please let us know.');
define('TABLE_HEADING_NEW_PRODUCTS', 'New Products For %s');
define('TABLE_HEADING_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS', 'Upcoming Products');
define('TABLE_HEADING_DATE_EXPECTED', 'Date Expected');

if ( ($category_depth == 'products') || (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) ) {
define('TABLE_HEADING_IMAGE', '');
define('TABLE_HEADING_MODEL', 'Model');
define('TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCTS', 'Product Name');
define('TABLE_HEADING_MANUFACTURER', 'Manufacturer');
define('TABLE_HEADING_QUANTITY', 'Quantity');
define('TABLE_HEADING_PRICE', 'Price');
define('TABLE_HEADING_WEIGHT', 'Weight');
define('TABLE_HEADING_BUY_NOW', 'Buy Now');
define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS', 'There are no products to list in this category.');
define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS2', 'There is no product available from this manufacturer.');
define('TEXT_NUMBER_OF_PRODUCTS', 'Number of Products: ');
define('TEXT_SHOW', '<b>Show:</b>');
define('TEXT_BUY', 'Buy 1 \'');
define('TEXT_NOW', '\' now');
define('TEXT_ALL_CATEGORIES', 'All Categories');
define('TEXT_ALL_MANUFACTURERS', 'All Manufacturers');
} elseif ($category_depth == 'top') {
} elseif ($category_depth == 'nested') {
define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Categories');
}
?>

:huh: :blink:

WOW! I should bow down to you master! I sure hope I didn't actually make that pathetic mistake :P

Now I have to find out what to do about permissions so I don't get that warning label on the top of the page :(

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH 241 !

Archived