• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Populate Question

cYon

Is it possibile to have non-unique product_models?

I sell toner cartridges and I'm populating the product_models field with my products part number. Now some cartridges will work with different model printers/fax/copiers so I want to list all the different printers/fax/copiers, however, this requires me to have multipile products with the same part number, which means I will have non-unique product_models and I'm having problems with incomplete data being imported due to that fact.

Does anyone know if you can have non-unique product_models or some other way around my problem?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

in the admin section on the products, you will see where you can 'link' a product to another category, etc, once you see how that works, you can probably get it to work with ep

Does anyone know if you can have non-unique product_models or some other way around my problem?
No, you can't. Easy Populate uses the products_model to determine which product you are currently uploading. Duplicate products_model values will cause the later products to overwrite the earlier ones. You may want to look into adding a meaningless string to all your part numbers, i.e. something like -0 for unique products, -1 for the second occurrence, etc.

Another alternative would be to rewrite EasyPopulate, but you will probably find it easier to add the string unless you are relatively proficient with PHP/MySQL (or hire someone who is). If you do decide to modify EP, I would suggest adding more category fields (to add the second category path) rather than trying to make the products_model field non-unique.

Hth,

Matt

Always back up before making changes.

I needed different model names too, that i did was install the "Adding_Products_Field" contribution. The installation can be a little tricky for beginners like me, but i done in a minutes.

But this contribution will resolve this problem, i don't know if this works with EasePupulate cause i didn't installed EP yet.