• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Search product description from initial searchbox?

Margo

I downloaded Peter Schapler's SearchBox Enhancement which was supposed to do the following:

"Now instead of browsing only in the product's name or model name, this search box also by default searches through the product's description, returning more hits."

I installed it but it didn't work for me. I want users to be able to search through the product descriptions from the front page instead of having to go to "Advanced Search".

Thanks.

Thanks. But I didn't have luck with it. Got an error. But I really didn't know where to place the code in my file.

I found something in the forums that addressed my question but didn't work either. This is the code I tried in the includes/boxes/search.php but that didn't work:

Basically I added

tep_draw_hidden_field('search_in_description', '1') .

into the page. The full code is below:

<?php

$boxHeading = BOX_HEADING_SEARCH;

$corner_left = 'square';

$corner_right = 'square';

$boxContent_attributes = ' align="center"';

$boxContent = tep_draw_form('quick_find', tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH_RESULT, '', 'NONSSL', false), 'get');

$boxContent .= tep_draw_hidden_field('search_in_description', '1') . tep_draw_input_field('keywords', '', 'size="10" maxlength="30" style="width: ' . (BOX_WIDTH-30) . 'px"') . ' ' . tep_hide_session_id() . tep_image_submit('button_quick_find.gif', BOX_HEADING_SEARCH) . '<br>' . BOX_SEARCH_TEXT . '<br><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH) . '"><b>' . BOX_SEARCH_ADVANCED_SEARCH . '</b></a>';

$boxContent .= '</form>' .

'<br><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ALLPRODS, '', 'NONSSL') . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_ALLPRODS . '</a><br>';

require(DIR_WS_TEMPLATES . TEMPLATENAME_BOX);

$boxContent_attributes = '';

?>

Looking at the discussion Matt pointed to earlier I found that I could make one simple change to get the same results you're trying for (to have searches from the left column to default to searching descriptions and names). Below is what I changed [note: the only change I did was to add the tep_draw_hidden_field('search_in_description', '1') at the end of the line]:

Original:

'text' => tep_draw_input_field('keywords', '', 'size="10" maxlength="30" style="width: ' . (BOX_WIDTH-30) . 'px"') . ' ' . tep_hide_session_id() . tep_image_submit('button_quick_find.gif', BOX_HEADING_SEARCH) . '<br>' . BOX_SEARCH_TEXT . '<br><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH) . '"><b>' . BOX_SEARCH_ADVANCED_SEARCH . '</b></a>');

New:

'text' => tep_draw_input_field('keywords', '', 'size="10" maxlength="30" style="width: ' . (BOX_WIDTH-30) . 'px"') . ' ' . tep_hide_session_id() . tep_image_submit('button_quick_find.gif', BOX_HEADING_SEARCH) . '<br>' . BOX_SEARCH_TEXT . '<br><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH) . '"><b>' . BOX_SEARCH_ADVANCED_SEARCH . tep_draw_hidden_field('search_in_description', '1') . '</b></a>');

• 3 years later...
Looking at the discussion Matt pointed to earlier I found that I could make one simple change to get the same results you're trying for (to have searches from the left column to default to searching descriptions and names). Below is what I changed [note: the only change I did was to add the tep_draw_hidden_field('search_in_description', '1') at the end of the line]:

Original:

'text' => tep_draw_input_field('keywords', '', 'size="10" maxlength="30" style="width: ' . (BOX_WIDTH-30) . 'px"') . ' ' . tep_hide_session_id() . tep_image_submit('button_quick_find.gif', BOX_HEADING_SEARCH) . '<br>' . BOX_SEARCH_TEXT . '<br><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH) . '"><b>' . BOX_SEARCH_ADVANCED_SEARCH . '</b></a>');

New:

'text' => tep_draw_input_field('keywords', '', 'size="10" maxlength="30" style="width: ' . (BOX_WIDTH-30) . 'px"') . ' ' . tep_hide_session_id() . tep_image_submit('button_quick_find.gif', BOX_HEADING_SEARCH) . '<br>' . BOX_SEARCH_TEXT . '<br><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH) . '"><b>' . BOX_SEARCH_ADVANCED_SEARCH . tep_draw_hidden_field('search_in_description', '1') . '</b></a>');

Just found this and it works perfectly. Thanks!

• 1 year later...