• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

A download challenge

I have a customer using a ton of space because the site is a music download site.

We have tweaked everything and are using 12GB of space. One thing I have noticed is I have the MP3's duplicated over and over in .zip files

Since each product has a music part (tenor, alto, soprano) with a PDF we are storing the files (mp3 listening, mp3 accompaniment, PDF ) in a single .zip.

There inlyes the problem.

The PDF's are the only thing different in each file. The MP3's stay the same.

I would like to know if anyone has a suggestion to allow OSC to create the download file as the order is being built. This way we could stage the MP3's and PDF's in an area and have the program build the download product.

In other words, is there a way to have OSC create the .zip file while the order is being generated then present the download link?

Hey. I actually have a system that utilizes PHP to build .zip files on the fly....

The problem is this: They will still be created when the customers purchases something, and then stored on the server...which will keep server space down at first, but as more and more purchases roll in that space will still get taken up.

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

building the files on the fly would be great.

You are right, eventually the files would consume a lot of space.

Where would the files be stored? Could they be removed once the download link was not longer available, expired or something like that.

My mind may just be slipping, but I think in order to delete the .zip file after a certain amount of time has passed you would have to set up a cron job or something to run on intervals.

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

yup

that would be an idea to geti it goin

or

you could do it all via a popup screen (the download window)

on it you could set dont close untill download is complete

and just set script in it to

get the name of the downloadfile

onclose window, call on a page with function delete filename

shouldnt be to hard to get workin

this would also exlude the need for additional cron jobs, not herassing yer server with extra buseyness, and clean and neat data storage :)

some codes fopr that might be found on:

www.phpfreaks.org

www.javascriptkit.com

and such many many more

good luck and enjoy

Archived