• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Possible to wrap your cart/website on CD-ROM?

dimports

i was wanting to put my whole website onto a CD to give out as business cards. I was wondering if there's a way to convert oscommerce to function on a CD (without a server of course). The only way I can think of it would be to convert the entire site into html, then put it onto a CD. Of course, the shopping cart on the CD wouldnt be fully functional but at the end of their checkout out, it would send an email of what they're interested in from the CD. Another way to do it is to assume that they have an active internet connection and have the CD finish the transaction online at our website. Anyone think this is a good idea or even possible? Any feedback, input, or anything is greatly appreciated.

it would not be a good idea, for a couple of reasons. the application runs on php, mysql and apache or iis. dont know how you would accomplish that, as majority of the systems out there do not have them installed. it would take forever and a day for you to convert the whole thing to html and have it function properly. what happens if you change the store? then all the cd's out there will not match up. you are better off just creating a flash demo showing some pictures of the site, and enticing the customer to logon to the store.

thx for the valued input. could it be possible to put the needed 'compilers' with the PHP code and wrap it up into an executable file? I was wanting to put a little shopping cart on the CD and have it email me the order. Sure its complicated and it should probably go as far as enticing customers, but it would sure be nice tho.

how much time do you have? lol, perhaps the best way is to highlight certain items, have them in html with links to the store online . . create a static site in the cd

did you ever think of using Adobe Acrobat Pro for making it a PDF ?

You can copy all pages and links so that you can browse it from CD DVD or whatever you want to...

i did it a year ago and it worked perfect, ofcourse you need to adjust some pages/links but that is for you to decide

Robert

We all need to learn it once, how hard it may seem when you look at it, also you will master it someday ;)