• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PHPBB Integration Username

aceclimber

Hello,

I have just finished installing the PHPBB2 integration onto my site. Now one thing that I noticed about the mod is that it automatically uses the surname as the username for phpBB. Now I know for all that that can get VERY annoying(what if you have to people with the same last name sign up?) I figured out a way around this. I just need a programmers help because my mysql skills are that of a dog. How about we edit the create_account.php page and add another table in the database so that when someone is creating a new account it also asks them to pick a username to use for phpBB. The we just tell the script to call the phpBB username for the login instead of the surname. Let me know if you think it will work.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 1 month later...

I also use phpBB however I installed it as a standalone with it's own database and then linked it back to the shop and the site. The registration asks for

Username: *

E-mail address: *

Password: *

Confirm password: *

it does not normally use any surnames, however the mod for integration may be using this in order to have the one set of login details

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest problem I ran into trying to fully integrate phpbb was the way it sets a cookie. It is not compatible with osC. Also, it is terribly hard to make phpbb to look like your site as they have the silver template fully integrated and it's a bear to remove.

Right now I am using openBB, but mainly due to the fact that I was able to get lots of information from one of the programmers. I only had to add a field to the customer table called username, modify the create_account.php to allow this. In addition, I will later add a section in account_edit.php to allow current customers to create a username.

I'm pretty sure that the same can be done with phpBB. But what I have found to be common among all BBs is that they all have gone nuts over bells and whistles. It would be nice if someone made a modular type BB that allows you to select which bells and whistles you want.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

I have just finished installing the PHPBB2 integration onto my site. Now one thing that I noticed about the mod is that it automatically uses the surname as the username for phpBB. Now I know for all that that can get VERY annoying(what if you have to people with the same last name sign up?) I figured out a way around this. I just need a programmers help because my mysql skills are that of a dog. How about we edit the create_account.php page and add another table in the database so that when someone is creating a new account it also asks them to pick a username to use for phpBB. The we just tell the script to call the phpBB username for the login instead of the surname. Let me know if you think it will work.

Thanks,

Jeff

I don't know if it's much help or not, but you all might try here

Best Regards

• 10 months later...

Was anyone ever able to make any progress here....

I'm trying to do the exact same thing. I currently have osc integrated with phpbb, but the one registration dynamically creates a phpbb username by passing first and lastname. I ideally want to add another field in the registration that asks for message board username and use that to dynamically create the phpbb username.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hello John

Newest version of phpbb2bridge enables the user to select their own username. You can check it out here:

http://www.osmodules.com/catalog/product_i...?products_id=31

Jakob

Best regards

Jakob Høy Biegel

-----------------------------------

Shopeon.com - Automate your webshop