• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

STS Template & Product Attributes Support

pigdestroyer

Hi, I have just dicovered OSCommerce and it seems to be a very good free solution online store. I have encountered two problems however. The storefront itself is very generic and it is difficult to add any kind of individual look to the site and also keeping check of stock levels for stock with many attributes.

For product attributes I found that one solution is using QTPro, which seemed to work well in a test situation and at that stage I was happy to continue developing the design. I reinstalled OSCommerce and then installed STS Template to deal with the design and got a single pretty template I was happy with. I then installed QTPro and then started coming up with errors concerning missing functions. I assume that STS itself alters/removes certain functions from application_top.php to get the results it wants and that QTPro relies on these function in order to function correctly.

e.g. Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_array_merge()

It seems that QTPro is not compatible and therin lies the problem.

Has anyone managed to integrate STS and QTPro with each other, or has anyone used any other template system with another product stock level solution and got it working. Any recommendations or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

"...you do one little thing, you build a widget in Saskatoon and the next thing you know it's two miles under the desert, the essential component of a death machine..."

• 1 year later...
Has anyone managed to integrate STS and QTPro with each other, or has anyone used any other template system with another product stock level solution and got it working. Any recommendations or advice  would be very much appreciated.

This is something i desperately need to work out - the client wants to use stock control for products with different attributes. we have the STS installed - but dont know which contrib would be compatible with it. Any input would be appreciated.

This is something i desperately need to work out - the client wants to use stock control for products with different attributes. we have the STS installed - but dont know which contrib would be compatible with it. Any input would be appreciated.

QTPro will work fine with STS. Just use the stock osC product_info page instead of the STS version.

In fact the only places you'll have a problem with STS is with contribs that would require you to make new entries for display blocks. It's all nicely documented in the STS README.

Iggy

Everything's funny but nothing's a joke...

QTPro will work fine with STS. Just use the stock osC product_info page instead of the STS version.

Hi - thanks for the input - when you say use the stock OsC product-info page do you mean modify that when setting up QTPro, or in general?

If i use the original file the templated produce page i've created with sts would become obsolete.

I thought that when STS is used it disregards certain pages from the original download - as it's now using its own pages - is this not the case for QTPro?

Edited by Perfect Eye

Hi - thanks for the input - when you say use the stock OsC product-info page do you mean modify that when setting up QTPro, or in general?

If i use the original file the templated produce page i've created with sts would become obsolete.

I thought that when STS is used it disregards certain pages from the original download - as it's now using its own pages - is this not the case for QTPro?

At least in 2.01 STS it works like this

PRODUCT_INFO TEMPLATES: You can customize your product information pages by

creating /catalog/includes/sts_templates/product_info.php.html and using the

product_info template variables (listed below) to layout your product_info

pages.

So if you don't specify a product info for your template it will fall back on the stock osC display. Doing it that way substantially decreases the hassle of dealing with contribs and STS. For my purposes I don't and haven't been asked to make individual product layouts so I never bother and just apply changes contribs ask for directly to the product_info.php supplied with osC then wack the layout to taste for all products.

So the easy way is format the osC product_info.php and the hard way is add in all the definitions required to use the STS product_info.php.

Iggy

So the easy way is format the osC product_info.php and the hard way is add in all the definitions required to use the STS product_info.php.

Has anyone ever successfully installed QTPro using the STS product_info.php file? (as we've done a product page design using it - and cant really revert back as its too far down the line)

Has anyone ever successfully installed QTPro using the STS product_info.php file? (as we've done a product page design using it - and cant really revert back as its too far down the line)

I haven't. Is the product page design the same for all products? If so just migrate your changes to the osC product_info. Otherwise become familiar with how to define template variables.

If you want to add any new boxes or template variables, add them in the

sts_user_code.php file.  If you upgrade to later version of STS, be sure not

to replace this file when you put your new version in.

Normally you can not control the output that appears in the $content variable

with STS.  To change the actual $content area, you will need to modify the

various PHP files manually, just like you would without STS.  However, some

of the new features described below will provide you with a little more

functionality and control over the $content without having to modify any of

the PHP files.

Iggy

• 4 months later...

Hi, I also have some problems integrating STS and QTPro4.2 together. First, I installed STS contribution and created a custom look of the product info in product_info.php.html. I used $optionchoices to display all attribute values.

Now, after I installed QTPro4.2 over STS, my site does not recognize "sequenced_dropdowns" for "Product Info Attribute Display Plugin". Even after I changed it in the Admin->Configuration->Product Information it has zero effect on the site. I still have all option values (including out-of-stock values) displayed at the product info.

Trying to fix this, I discovered that when I change product_info.php.html and use only standard $content to display my product information - QTPro4.2 works as it supposed to work.

Question: could please advise me what can I changes in QTPro4.2 to make it working with a custom product info template with $optionchoices? Thank you.

I really don't know that it's worth the hassle. If the issue is the difficulty of modding product_info you can ramp that up by a factor of 5 or 10 fixing up the template variables for STS. Kind of the opposite of STS intent.

The easy way, I would think, if you need multiple product display styles is to just copy the content of product_info into the STS product_info (named appropriately) and tailor it to suit your needs. STS is an exceptional framework for doing that.

HTH and happy new year!

Iggy

Edited by Iggy