osCommerce

The e-commerce.

BTSv1.2 Support

paulm2003

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As BTS update it's indeed much better to use NAVBAR_TITLE_2 i.s.o. adding a new define. But it's no problem at all to use any other define if someone like it better for some reason. That's the nice thing about this meta tags controller, you can configure it to output almost anything you like, it's very flexible.

I wonder why NAVBAR_TITLE_1 is being used for the META_TAG_DESCRIPTION and META_TAG_KEYWORDS . I think it is a little mistake too. Off course it's not important at all (nobody cares about those address book meta tags I suppose, only the title is somewhat interesting), but it does seem better to use NAVBAR_TITLE_2 for those as well.

I looks like a DHTML menu.

There is one available for the BTS too I believe, but it you have to make sure that it works in every browser. I have seen a lot of those DHTML navigation menu's that don't work very well in some browsers/circumstances. You can imagine what happens if a costumer can't use the categories navigation ;) .

Edited by paulm2003

Hi,

I'm having some problems with the installation and was hoping I could get some help here.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question/problem; I'm not all that experienced.

I uploaded all files (including the import in phpMyAdmin) to the correct location (catalog) and now receive the following error:

Warning: main(DIR_WS_TEMPLATESTEMPLATENAME_MAIN_PAGE): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/gruntge/public_html/catalog/index.php on line 150

Warning: main(DIR_WS_TEMPLATESTEMPLATENAME_MAIN_PAGE): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/gruntge/public_html/catalog/index.php on line 150

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'DIR_WS_TEMPLATESTEMPLATENAME_MAIN_PAGE' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/gruntge/public_html/catalog/index.php on line 150

Any ideas what's causing this? Advice would be welcomed. I haven't modified any of the files.

Thanks,

Kris

Hi Kris,

there is something wrong with the defines, I would re?nstall the BTS if I were you. Make sure the BTS files really overwrite any existing ones.

These defines are in "includes/configure_bts.php", but if you get the error message usually something really went wrong during installation somehow.

Great, thanks for the reply.

I reinstalled and it is working much better.

I still get errors when I click on boxes and content, but everything else appears to work.

The errors I get are as follows:

Warning: main(templates/boxes/main_page.tpl.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/gruntge/public_html/catalog/index.php on line 150

Warning: main(templates/boxes/main_page.tpl.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/gruntge/public_html/catalog/index.php on line 150

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'templates/boxes/main_page.tpl.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/gruntge/public_html/catalog/index.php on line 150

I realize it looks quite similar, but this time I'm sure I've uploaded all the files and deleted the old ones.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Kris

I looks like a DHTML menu.

There is one available for the BTS too I believe, but it you have to make sure that it works in every browser. I have seen a lot of those DHTML navigation menu's that don't work very well in some browsers/circumstances. You can imagine what happens if a costumer can't use the categories navigation ;) .

Thanks for the info, i'll check it out and see if the one for the BTS works in all browsers.

Hi Matt/Talon,

I was also wondering, when using the BTS how would people make a "Top of Page" anchor, using the normal

<a name="TOP"></a>

<a href="#TOP">Top of Page</a>

It certainly isn't a BTS specific problem but I read about a perfect solution for this today *edit*

<a href="<?php echo $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']; ?>#top">Top</a>

no need for tep_href_link() or whatever, session data is remembered.

And the best of all no page reloads!

hth,

Paul

*edit*

Edited by Johnson

Hi Paul,

I'm really appreciating the time you all have taken to share these notes with others. I've gotten plenty from it. Thanks.

I am curious about the design of fields and boxes, but before i continue, i must warn you, i am no PHP guru. In fact, i've gotten by with the topics on in this discussion fine but i owe it to the clear explanations and that's it.

Let me continue, i've purchased a template which i'm very happy with as is. I want to design the fields of OSC in the different areas of the template. I'll explain, but first have a look at the site for a clearer picture:

http://www.lordofdiamonds.com

There are many areas of the template i would like to insert functions of OSCommerce into. Such as the menu boxes at the top of the page. The date. The bread crumbs i would like to design in style sheets (drop down menu) if i could. Languages and Currency.

There are four boxes down the page which are static. I would like to insert such things as:

- new products (maybe one product to replace the pearl box)

- review area to replace the box which starts with "visit our collection...."

- specials area to replace the box with the butterfly jewel

at this point i hope you get the picture.....

I would like to know how i can do this?

I don't have a link to the original template for you to look at but i can have it in a day --- this may give you and others an idea of what the 'perfect template' looks like

Again, many thanks for the elaborate notes on this forum.

AD

Hi AD,

you have a lot of questions which aren't very easy to answer. To show those boxes in that way won't be easy at the moment.

Did you already try the tutorial at the BTS forums? If you did and you know some CSS you should be able to do at least the main layout. Some of the details might be very difficult to achieve though (for me too). It certainly isn't someting I can explain in one (or some) posts.

Did you already try the tutorial at the BTS forums? If you did and you know some CSS you should be able to do at least the main layout.

Hey Paul,

Other than this forum, i'm not familiar with a BTS forum(s). Do you have any links i can visit?

Well, nevertheless, thanks for this forum. It helped a great deal!

I will continue to dissect OSC. Great potential.

Regards,

AD

I'm having some problems with the install of BTS. After I over write all the files and the do the sql update oscommerce will not run, it looks like it does not have the correct password for connecting to the database. where do you set the database user and password?

OK, so i installed OScommerce and checked to see that it worked i then uploaded the files from BTS and then used phpmyadmin to run the BTS.sql file. and i get the following.

Warning: main(includes/database_tables.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/nosrak/public_html/osc/includes/application_top.php on line 56

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'includes/database_tables.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/nosrak/public_html/osc/includes/application_top.php on line 56

the admin page seems to be working.

thanks for the quick reply before

I can't seem to locate the database_tables.php file.

So I probably do not have the proper version of oscommerce installed. what i have is osCommerce 2.2-CVS that is included with cpanel. Is this different than the 2.2MS2 release? It probably is and that will fix my problems

Edited by femto2nd

Hi femto2nd,

the BTS is only made for osC2.2MS2, and i don't think it will ever work with any other versions.

It probaly would be a waist of time to make it work with any future osC version, because it's an awfull lot of work, and an official template stucture is expected to be introduced even before MS3. So if you start using the BTS on osc2.2MS2 now, you will already get used to using a template structure for osC, and you will probably be able to convert your template(s) to MS3 easyly (unless this new osC template structure won't make any sense of course, but I have confidence it will be great).

Edited by paulm2003

Hi Paul, Sorry if this has been asked before but I looked in the thread without any luck. (Who knows maybe I didn't look close enough)

I been trying to make a custom version of the template you included (ClosedOneTable) and ran into 1 problem. My background.gif doesn't work correctly in the "New Products For Month" box. It repeats the background image file 4 times (like its being tiled with then streched).

To understand what im talking about please visit this real quick and look at New Products (bottom middle):

www.superfastbuys.com

In the style sheet it has an example how to apply styles to specific boxes. Well I figured this would be my fix but I tried everything I can think of for this line "table#shopping_cartBoxLT {" such as "table#products_newBoxLT {"

and I don't think I am doing it correctly.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks,

Stryker

Edited by Stryker

Hi Stryker,

My background.gif doesn't work correctly in the "New Products For Month" box. It repeats the background image file 4 times
it's repeated because ther's a repeat-x in the stylesheet:

td.infoBoxHeadingLT , .infoBoxHeading , .productListing-heading  {
background : #fee662 url(images/background.jpg) repeat-x;
}

using an image like you are using, you should remove the repeat or change it to a repeat-y (if you use the repeat you can use a smaller image and stil fill the whole space independant of the size)

In the style sheet it has an example how to apply styles to specific boxes. Well I figured this would be my fix but I tried everything I can think of for this line "table#shopping_cartBoxLT {" such as "table#products_newBoxLT {"
Sometimes I forget to mention, but only the small side infoboxes have classes and id's assigned. It is possible to assign classes/id's to the content boxes in several ways. Some boxes are easy to edit in the "templates/../content/" template files. Others need changes to the box class, or you can wrap a <div> around it in "templates/../content/" and assign a class/id to the <div> to make styling specific boxes a little easyer.

Actually easy styling of the all content info boxes should be included in a next BTS version. Allthough this should not be extremely difficult, it always is quite timeconsuming, so if anybody reading this has some spare time and likes to to it....... :)

cheers,

Paul

Edited by paulm2003

using an image like you are using, you should remove the repeat or change it to a repeat-y (if you use the repeat you can use a smaller image and stil fill the whole space independant of the size)

I tried it with removing repeat, no change in the look. It repeated anyways. When I tried with repeat-y all the side info-box's remained the same (correct) but the bottom ended up looking wierd. I then tried no-repeat and it acts the same as repeat-y.

I figured I need to set it so it uses width=100% but I can't get that to work either.

Currently, its set at repeat-y.

Info again:

www.superfastbuys.com

Select "SFB"

Edited by Stryker