• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEC & STS working together

OregonBum

SEC & STS do work together - It took some sweat & tweaking, along with several days of stretching to the limit to figure out why errors are happening.

Here's what I recommend.

1. Start out with a clean install of SEC

2. Be comfortable with PHP & able to follow code (you will need to look at this code!)

3. (MY DISCLAIMER) These files came from a working shop where I have heavily at times modified the original SEC code. I have put comments at the top of the pages that I have modified besides adding the STS code to the page. Most likely, your store will not look right if you do a "blind" overwrite of the original files. As my php knowledge grows, I will most likely more closely integrate these files. I don't claim to be a php guru by a long shot, so if someone's got a better way, please take it & run - I'll follow & learn from you :)

4. This by no means is a complete contribution! I've had several requests to share what made these 2 great contributions play together, and this is my initial stab at doing that.

Cheers!

Chris

Chris,

At the top of this page, there is a link that says Contributions. If you go there and click Add a New Contribution, it will allow you to upload the file. For various reasons, it is better to link there than to external sites (which is against forum rules).

Hth,

Matt

I have looked at the files, starting with the footer. I am somewhat confused by your instructions, are you stating that if I have a clean install of SEC that it is possible to overwrite with yours? The footer.php you have has next to nothing in it compared to the original, or are you stating that your changes should be merged . .

Thanks

I have looked at the files, starting with the footer. I am somewhat confused by your instructions, are you stating that if I have a clean install of SEC that it is possible to overwrite with yours? The footer.php you have has next to nothing in it compared to the original, or are you stating that your changes should be merged . .

Thanks

As I mentioned in the notes at the top of files & throughout the readme, I have heavily modified some of these files, and have posted them without "re-modifying" back to their original because several people have been asking for them.

I say to start w/ clean SEC install b/c if you start w/ a clean install of OSC, then install STS & then put in SEC, you will negate all your changes.

IF you want your page to look & play just like mine, you can overwrite the original SEC file.

BUT I recommend using my files ONLY as a guide to show you where approximately the STS lines need to go.

What does need to be merged are the STS lines. I've included my files simply to show where approximately you need to include the STS lines in the SEC file.

If you look closely with my footer.php, you will see the comparative lines on the original where you need to add the STS lines. Add the STS lines in the same place in the original SEC file, making sure you're not under an IF statement, and it should work for you.

I haven gotten this to work for me in the situations that I need it to work in, if your situation is a lot different, you'll need to hack like I did. I mainly wanted to show that it is possible.

Cheers!

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Chris,

I hope you can help. I have not been able to get this to work. I have followed your instructions very closely with 3 or 4 different installs of SECv2_2 and I can only get about 75% of my sight to load.

I get the header, footer (minus counter) and the main content windows, but in the middle of loading the "Featured Products" box it just stops. The first couple of images on the left of the Featured Products box load but in the top box, "New Products" none of the images load and I have no right column at all, just empty space. All of the links that do load work, even the links with no image. Any suggestion?

Thanks

CatDadRick

First, if you read the readme files, you will see that I had modified the site to NOT use the right column - the files are to only give you the idea of how to combine the 2.

Your problem of not having the center info show up is because you've got an IF statement in the wrong place - again, something I plainly addressed in my readme files & in the comments at the top of the pages that I modified.

Combining the 2 isn't for the faint hearted, and my contribution doesn't give a cut/dried solution, but rather a road map for someone else to follow to be able to put the pieces together.

I'm waiting for someone with more experience than I have to come & combine both Contribution in the true sense, so when you install the store, STS would be a natural part of SEC.

Best of luck!

Chris

Your problem of not having the center info show up is because you've got an IF statement in the wrong place - again, something I plainly addressed in my readme files & in the comments at the top of the pages that I modified

Chris,

I'm going to go back over things today, your README firmly in hand. Can you point me in the right direction to look for the IF statement mentioned above?

Thanks,

CatDadRick

OregonBum,

I fianlly got it working and I think I have it pretty well figured out. When I have some time I will post some additional instructions for using this with both right and left columns turned on as well as the banner manager and a couple of custom boxes.

Thanks,

CatDadRick

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to Speedy, there's a working solution that is much easier to work through than mine. As I had stated originally, this was my first attempt at trying to make the 2 great contribs play together.

In 11 neat steps, you can have them play nicely as default installs, just follow Speedy's instructions at:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...=0entry316814

...And thanks much Speedy for picking up & going forward to where I left off. :D

Cheers!

Chris