• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Scooter Store Now Open! - Please Review

ScooterProShop.com

Yes I am doing some customizing, but don't want to get too far away from the vanilla code. There is a news OS coming soon and I want to be able to rebuild the same site without too much fuss using the new code. As a matter of fact, I am sure the newer code will eliminate a few mods I am currently running.

Scooterboy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe he is referring to your splash page index.html maybe?.  I am not sure why you have that but you should get rid of it asap.

Get rid of it ASAP? Ouch. Is it really that bad? I suppose I need to redo it if it is.

Can you make any suggestions to what I should change, or possibly replace it with.

Getting rid of it is a bad thing, since this is my front door page to search engines.

I can move the text off to a FAQ page.

I can redesign the main page and link Images to the product page.

I can even add a short description about a few featured products.

Very good idea, in fact I will start a redesigning the page today.

GREAT FEEDBACK! - THANK YOU!

I love this ... worth it's weight in gold.

Scooterboy

Looking good robert but yeah the splash page isn't as good as the old versions. I also liked the diamond plate that you used to have, it kinda goes with the motorcycle type folks(even though you have scooters). I think most of the spash page info can go in the store somewhere. I take it though you are still following the leads of your SEO on the splash page. I still think you should get away from the stock osc look which will can free up tons of space like someone posted here a few posts back. There comment was...cool products but you need bigger images and stuff..something along those lines.

The Wiki Docs: Read them, live them and be thankful for them!

Yes....a better splash page..also make your top image clickable..on splash pages you want as much clickable to the next page as possible.

Also you have TOP designated to http://www.scooterproshop.com/

you should just make that http://www.scooterproshop.com/catalog/

There is really no need for someone to hit that splash page again. Realistically you should just incorporate all that old info you had into your catalog. You can eliminate the splash altogther...maybe its just me but splash pages are dumb unless you have a site you dont want people to revisit.

It looks good but on the first page, on the drop down, where it says Start shopping Now, is a little confusing because at first, I kept it like that and tried pressing "go" it didnt do anything so, i thought it was not working till I tried other option in the drop down ...

There is one thing I would like to ask you, in your categories you have the products listed 3 across and 3 or more down, hoe did u do that because when I am adding products , it goes one after another all the way down, I am having a hard time arranging the products on the page ...

I would appreciate your help .....

I like having the catalog on the root also. The diamond plate as the entire background is pretty busy though. Now that your on the root, the top nav of "top and catalog" go to the same place. You can get rid of the top and I would change catalog to "home" or something surfers understand.

Not trying to start a search engine word war, but IMO SEO companies may provide you with some better rankings but they can't bring you to #1 or top 10 like they claim.

A good example is Google. If they say they can get you to the top ten on Google they are full of crap. Why? Under real specific shopping related keywords, Ebay takes first pick!! I know this by watching my auctions listing for the last few months and I embeded a refering url counter in one..hehehe. I was amazed by how I could list an auction and in 1-2 hours it was in the top 5 at google!!! Like I said though these are very specific keywords and never general.

After I found that out I made the switch to hosting my images on my site on a big honkin html page with header and footer links to my site.

I know you shop is live Robert so you can't make any major changes but I really would think about either making major changes to script to free up some space and get rid of the 3 colum crowded look. Or install a template system(BTS or STS) and again make room to really let those cool products stand out.

Check my www below.....it was like switching from wearing briefs to going commando...ahhh feels some much better with more room....lol

The Wiki Docs: Read them, live them and be thankful for them!

Sad thing is .. I don't know. I don't think it was ever made into a contrib.

It was a thread here in the forums and the code was pasted.

I replaced the code and WALLA! BAdda Bing.

At this point, I am still trying to modify the "look" of the site, but the templates just aren't easy to install and I fear it will blow away what I have now.

I kinda like it the way it is, I dont want to go to far into mods and such.

I will increase the image size of the thumbnails today ... 150x150 good?

Scooterboy

• 2 weeks later...

"Love this site. Is there a supplier in Melbourne Australia?

A: Supplier for osCommerce ? - Yes - Worldwide Free download.

I am not too sure what you were refering to .. sorry.

"Did you build this site? Well done, keep up the good work."

A: Yes, I did .. not much modified except the header graphics and colors. Images were redone several times after being too big or too blurry. Images are tough to maintain with so many products. I used Sml,Med Big Images contrib, this allowed me to use an actual thumbnail for the small images. Nice to have. (I hope it becomes part of the standard code in the next release.)

I am trying to keep the store simple, but appealing to everyone.

Thank You for your feedback.

Scooterboy

Archived