• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Manipulating the V fields in EP

ashinco

Hi, I think I've figured out how to name my fields in excel to do what I want, but now I need someone to show me where in OSC I can do the following:

My web site will be about jewelry, and each item will have anywhere from 3 to 6 different description items that need to be listed witht he main description. For instance:

This is a Beautiful Diamond and Ruby Ring.

Main Gem: Diamond

Color: G

Clarity: VSI

Cut: Emerald

Carats: 2.5

Second Gem: Ruby

Color: Red

Cut: Round

Carats: 3

Ring Metal: Yellow Gold

Karats: 18

Finish: Polished

Get the idea? Each of those sub-discriptions will be named, v_product_description_1, v_product_description_2, and so on (aside from the other fields such as v_image, v_catagory, etc.)

I would like to know how and where to place these fields so that when they are called, they will be exactly where I want them. In other words, if there was no product info, then the page would look like this:

This is a Beautiful Diamond and Ruby Ring.

Main Gem:

Color:

Clarity:

Cut:

Carats:

Second Gem:

Color:

Cut:

Carats:

Ring Metal:

Karats:

Finish:

Which PHP page will I have to manipulate so that I can accomplish this, and how would I do it.

I'm getting very colse to finally understanding all of this, and this little bit of info would "Ice the Cake" for me :D

Thanks so much for any input on this!

Tom ;)

Tom,

I did post the wrong link. Here's the right one.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1717

As far as the order of the fields, it's recommended that you go ahead and download a file from your website first in your EP menu. This will show you the correct format for how the file you're going to upload MUST be!

I've been working on an upload that has 4500 items in it and I downloaded the blank file from my website via EP. Then I just rearranged my spreadsheet with my items to fit the format of the EP sheet.

The arrangement of the fields in the db is irrelevant in this case.

Hope this helps.

Trent

:blink:

Ok, that link worked. I understand the instructions, but what I don't understand is, am I supposed to follow the instructions exactly, using only the fields as written in the instructions, or is that an example of how to add any fields I wish to create?

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Tom

Tom,

You can add any fields that you want. You just have to follow the format of the fields (i.e., v_products_color, v_products_shipping_time, etc.)

Trent

Tom,

You can add any fields that you want. You just have to follow the format of the fields (i.e., v_products_color, v_products_shipping_time, etc.)

Trent

Trent, one last question, and I think the mud will clear out of my head :rolleyes:

If I create my own fields, where do I put them? Do I add them to the same places that the instructions show to place the example?

Thanks again,

tom

Tom,

You just add them in where the example in the EP Extra Fields File shows you to. If you added 7 extra fields, you would need to add them in the same order in each place that you modify the EP file. So just follow the instructions, and remember that all your fields must be put into the file in the same order. Example:

This is from the instructions file:

-------------------------------

Find the line, approx 988: $filelayout = array_merge($filelayout , array(

Below it add:

'v_products_retail_price' => $iii++,

'v_products_cost' => $iii++,

'v_products_width' => $iii++,

'v_products_height' => $iii++,

You must add them into the next statment(s) in the same order....

Find the line, approx 1022: $filelayout_sql = "SELECT

Below it add:

p.products_retail_price as v_products_retail_price,

p.products_cost as v_products_cost,

p.products_width as v_products_width,

p.products_height as v_products_height,

And so on and so forth.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Trent