• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Please Help!

Hm, OK so now i have connected to my site through FileZilla, but I still can't figure out how to upload the Catalog file. Please help, thanks again.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I now figured out how to upload it. Do I upload the WHOLE thing i downloaded (including the extra folder) or just the catalog folder? Thanks so much for everyone's help, I REALLYappreciate this!

Hehe. Tell me what the directory structure of your OS download looks like.

1.) If it's catalog/ and catalog/admin just upload the whole catalog directory.

The idea here is to upload 2 main folders: 'catalog' and 'admin.' On the July 2003 MS 2.2 download of OSCommerce, you'll see that the admin directory is inside the catalog directory.

After you get those 2 main folders uploaded, you need to type in www.yoursite.com/catalog to start the install.

That's the default setup and you're correct, just upload the whole catalog folder with admin and everything in it. Then, as I've said, just point your browser to that directory to start the install. NOTE: You will have to CHMOD the config php files in the catalog AND admin folders before install will complete. This means changing the file attributes to 704 or 777. You should do this BEFORE you start the installation, and AFTER you have uploaded the catalog folder.

What you need to do is after you upload the folder, use FileZilla to change the 2 configure.php files. One is located in catalog/includes and the other in admin/includes. Right click each file, select file properties/attributes, then click on each check box to get a "777" displayed. Remember to change them back when done.

K, it seems that there are 8 files that do not want to upload. I keep resetting them them, but i keep getting the error: Critical Transfer Error. Any suggestions?

That's the default setup and you're correct, just upload the whole catalog folder with admin and everything in it. Then, as I've said, just point your browser to that directory to start the install. NOTE: You will have to CHMOD the config php files in the catalog AND admin folders before install will complete. This means changing the file attributes to 704 or 777. You should do this BEFORE you start the installation, and AFTER you have uploaded the catalog folder.

What you need to do is after you upload the folder, use FileZilla to change the 2 configure.php files. One is located in catalog/includes and the other in admin/includes. Right click each file, select file properties/attributes, then click on each check box to get a "777" displayed. Remember to change them back when done.

On adddition to my last question, for this, i see the two files of which you are refering to. When i right click and goto their properties, i do not see anything refering to the file attributes being 704 or 777.

The attributes for these folders will only be set once you have uploaded them.

once uploaded highlight a file or directory and right click it this brings up a sub menu on which you will see properties click on properties and you will see the boxes with attributes.

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

You cannot just reset those files' status and re-process the queue--those files have been corrupted, PLUS it's probably likely that your server doesn't allow appending to half uploaded files. You need to, as I stated, upload those 8 files one by one again--do this by looking at where each file is located on your COMPUTER then put them in the same place on your WEBSITE.

After you get that done, you right click on configure.php and select "File Atrributes" to select the proper setting.

Ok, thanks, i do have one more stupid question that I can't figure out from the yahoo help page. What is the database server that i type in at the online cataloug thing? Thanks so much!

Yes, i added a MySQL database in a new folder called Directory. I do not know what to put as the "Database Server", Username,or Database Name. I am so confused.... :(

I went to my "Yahoo! Web Hosting Homepage". Then, I went to "My SQL Database". The i clicked "Install Admin Tool". And then created the "Directory Folder" and installed the "phpMyAdmin". Is this unecessary? Did i do the wrong thing again? :unsure:

OK guys, I'm back after a long day. Sorry for the delay. Regarding phpdev, I'll tell you what I did to get it working:

First of all, create a new account on your computer because a web server uses a lot of resources and, unless you are operating a web server, the only time you want it running on your machine is when you are doing your developement work on OSC. Call it what you like, 'OSC', 'devsite', or whatever name is significant to you. If you have people around, like well meaning kids, password protect the account as well as the directory structure described below if you can.

Next, log onto your developement account, decide on and create a directory name and location in C:\, maybe something like 'Server'.

Double click on phpdev and it will go through the install process. When it asks you where to install phpdev, alter the directory path to your 'Server' directory, in this case C:\Server\phpdev. Everything will automatically install into that folder, including a folder called 'www' which is your server root directory. Read all the 'readme' files.

In the folder called C:\Server\phpdev you will find two applications, 2K-NT-XP-phpdev_start and 98-ME-phpdev_start. Choose the one appropriate to your operating system and double click on it. Everything will start and integrate automatically and a web browser will appear showing you the contents of that directory. You can now view php files on your web browser as long as they are located in or below the 'www' directory. You must start the application before your can view them. You may not simply go there in Windows Explorer and doubledlick.

The link http://localhost/phpmyadmin/is the database management program for the MYSQL database which you will create below when you unzip OSC and set it up.

Create a folder 'OSC' or 'yourwebsitename' or whatever you want in the 'www' directory to hold the OSCommerce files. Unzip the OSCommerce files into that folder, read the 'readme' files, follow instructions and your ready to view the OSCommerce website.

Now your ready to start the modifications and customizations on your website. I recommend you work on copies of the files to be sure changes work before copying them into the site you will upload via FTP to your live site. This means making another folder in 'www' like 'testsite' and do the work there. When you are happy with the results of a change, copy it over into the appropriate 'yourwebsitename' folder, refresh the browser, and open OSC to view it and make sure it copied correctly.

In addition to an editing program like Wordpad or Notepad, a helpful tool the program, Compare It! located at http://www.grigsoft.com/. This piece of software lets you take two versions of the same file, compare them and make changes - very helpful when you can't find out why a changed version is not working like the original version did.

You can also right click and drag the start application to your desk top to create a shortcut there. if you want to have everything start automatically when you boot up into your developement account, also drag and drop a shortcut into your 'startup' folder. That would be in the C:\Documents and Settings\youraccountname\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder in XP where 'youraccountname' is the computer login account you created above, like 'devsite'. In win2K it would be the account name in the C:\Windows\profiles folder, or wherever the startup menu is located in your win32 machine.

Good luck, Charles

We stand in ignorance only for questions not asked. Plug up the leaks in your knowledge base and open up a flood of understanding.

if you want to know your MySQL database configs and if you want to know whether your Yahoo provider supports php, try this simple thing:

make a php file in your notepad or any other text editor such as wordpad. you can name the php file anything u want, but i suggest you name it phpinfo.php so it doesnt conflict with other files you might have on your webserver. (make sure you delete this php file though once you are done setting up your osc store! malicious users may find this file attractive. hehehe)

here is what you have in phpinfo.php:

<? echo phpinfo(); ?>

one last but important thing, when creating this file in notepad, make sure you save it as "All files" instead of "Text documents (.txt)".

hope this helps.

-kurt

oh yeah, and after that you upload that phpinfo.php file to your webserver (any directory, i suggest the root directory). and then just load that page up in your browser. in this case, it should be http://www.airsoft21.com/phpinfo.php

this will show all the parameters of your PHP and MySQL. if it just prints "<? echo phpinfo(); ?>" without the quotes, then your web provider does not support PHP.

Yea, I knew my server supported PHP all along, I just do not know what to put in the "Database Server" the "Username" and the "Database Name". I did that test you gave me, and it did indeed work. Any other suggestions?

Archived