• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

LIVE><JAM PACKED WITH FEATURES><NO OUT OF THE BOX>

jtorres

This is my site, has been live since the 11/21/03,

But anyways, here it is: bridalsuppliesDIRECT.com, please critique it, comment & make suggestions, im looking for all sorts of feedback, as it will aid in improving it...(by the way it is live so dont make transaction unless your buying for real)

Currently 782 products out of 10,000+ still remaining to be entered.

Well cant wait to hear your feedback....

tx in advance,

Jon

bridalsuppliesDIRECT.com

Jon Torres

President

«xcelprinting.com»

Quality Printing You Can Count On!

Portfolio

xcelprin.gif

Xcel's Xcel-lent specials:

Business Cards:

1000 THICK 16pt UV Coated FULL Color 2 Sided $69 FREE Shipping

Postcards/Flyers:

1000 THICK 16pt UV Coated FULL Color 2 Sided $99

Visit Our Site For More Xcel-lent Deals!

I am using Netscape 7.1 can you tell me which links or pages you are having a problem with, I dont see any?

Jon Torres

President

«xcelprinting.com»

Portfolio

xcelprin.gif

Business Cards:

Postcards/Flyers:

WOW, 51 views 1 reply....I wonder if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Would be nice if your stopping by the thread & the site to post a comment. ;)

Jon Torres

President

«xcelprinting.com»

Portfolio

xcelprin.gif

Business Cards:

Postcards/Flyers:

I am using Netscape 7.1 can you tell me which links or pages you are having a problem with, I dont see any?

On /index.php in categories on the left the "Shop by Price" boxes don't show on my Netscape and I have Java enabled. I am not a regular Netscaper so maybe there is a setting that is wrong in my browser.

yeah i just noticed that...looking into it, last i had checked it was working, seems there is an issue with 7.1, but thanks for noticing, otherwise I would have not noticed.

Jon Torres

President

«xcelprinting.com»

Portfolio

xcelprin.gif

Business Cards:

Postcards/Flyers:

tx keith...

what is everyone elses feedback on the site....

any kind of feedback is useful, good or bad...

tx,

Jon

Jon Torres

President

«xcelprinting.com»

Portfolio

xcelprin.gif

Business Cards:

Postcards/Flyers:

I read in the thread about "shop by price"?

What is it, should be in the left column? It's not showing in Mozilla, can't find it :-(

Let's see what IE is showing , aha that's "shop by price".

Now let's try Opera 7.11, configured so that errors pop-up automagically :-)

http://www.bridalsuppliesdirect.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_2&osCsid=1e42b059187150cdbda8e51d80d16eec
Event thread: onmouseover
Error:
name: TypeError
message: Statement on line 29: Expression evaluated to null or undefined and is not convertible to Object: menuobj.document
Backtrace:
 Line 29 of inline#1 script in http://www.bridalsuppliesdirect.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_2&osCsid=1e42b059187150cdbda8e51d80d16eec
   menuobj.document.write("<layer name=gui bgColor=#E6E6E6 width=165 onmouseover=\"clearhidemenu()\" onmouseout=\"hidemenu()\">" + which + "</layer>");
 In unknown script
   showmenu(event, linkset[2]);
 At unknown location
   {event handler trampoline}

Have a JavaScript-expert (JS is NOT Java) take a look at it.

Some notes:

quickly going through the site I like the amount of info you are providing, however, something I'm missing is that I cannot see on beforehand (or only after going through the whole process?) whether you are having any restirctions on shipping to e.g. countries outside the US of A ( I see that you are located in Miami).

And if you are shipping to outside USA it would be nice if the weights were also in grams and kilo's and sizes in cm's.

My last comment would be that in Europe it is becoming very popular (mandatory possibly in the near future) to indicate a brick-and-mortar address + tel. number so that suppliers can be checked out on beforehand, we also check the customers sometimes so why should it not be possible to check the supplier.

"If you're working on something new, then you are necessarily an amateur."

john,tx for your reply, yeah there seems to be a problem with my java menu, my developer is suppose to be looking into it, but it only happened with netscape 7.1, because when I had 7.0 it was visible, so I guess it needs to be made compatible, im far from a programmer so I dont know how to do any of this.

In regards to shipping, we only ship within the US for now until I can get better aquainted with wether im losing money on shipping or not, reason being is that I can only use one zip code as a main point of origin, due to that UPS XML does not handle multiple zip codes for multiple points of origin, it would be awesome if it did tho.

Thanks for your comment

Jon Torres

President

«xcelprinting.com»

Portfolio

xcelprin.gif

Business Cards:

Postcards/Flyers:

I am still pretty clueless about PHP and the like so if I ask a dumb question, please dont be offended.

There are a few aesthetic comments, and several questions :)

I like the way your page displays, though I would love to know how you got the individual boxes to go away, and look like one long column with separated headers on the sides.

I also like the way the separator dotted lines appear within the featured products area.

How did you do that? Is it an image?

How did you get the search function into the top, along with the Login for the account, along with the Contact us and the like in the header separator, as well as the Footer? I had asked this same thing in my thread when someone mentioned it for my site but no answers yet?

How did you get the Track/Returns/Policies in the top Header? Is that an Image with links?

Are any of these contribs, and if so, which ones did you use?

I like the Tabbed links, though for my site, that would not work yet :)

ok, now for the Aesthetics :)

Colors are a little..bright, not something I would associate too readily with a Bridal site. I would evision a little more pastel-ly type setup, but they look good. One thing tho, the center being totally white is a little strong with the more muted colors surrounding it. Maybe altering the center to something muted and pale of the rest of the cholor scheme would make it easier on the eyes. The same goes for the spacing around the outside of the centered shop. Very Bright White. If you altered the brighter pink to the lavender of the buttons, it would have a more continious flow, and be a little easier on the eyes. Maybe different shades of purple from very pale to brighter to keep the brightness? I do like the way the header matches the DIRECT in the same shade of yellow tho. That looks very smart. Having the different shades of pink, then adding the lavender buttons is a little clashy :( But I DO like the buttons :) Did you make those?

Adding a Buy Now button to the overall display when entering a category instead of looking at the item directly would be a little more user friendly.

As far as the Footer images, did you just align=left and =right for those? Looks good. Mine are kinda squashed into the center. Didnt want to mess around with it TOO much though without knowing my nose from my butt with PHP when I started all this. At least now I can tell which direction my finger is pointing :D

And I know what you mean with the views/comments thing.

I had over 300 on my thread before I got 5 comments LOL

Hope this helps some!!

One of these days, I will actually understand what I just changed...

But reading the Manual DEFINATELY helps...

Tariq,

Thanks for your review, in regards to how things were made possible that is beyond me. Simply I made my own design of the site and had someone adapt OSC to my template, instead of how 98% of other OSC users that keep the out of the box look add color, or add some flair to the info boxes....In my opinion that is not a professional site as it looks cheesy, so that is why I had someone make OSC work with "my" design, not make my design adapt to "osc's" look....how my developer pulled it off, well I guess you have to be savvy in coding, maybe find yourself a webdesigner, or buy a template and have someone install osc to work with the layout of the template/design.

But basically everything you see from tabs to buttons, login, search, dotted lines, etc...those are part of the webdesign that I created.

In regards to colors, im going to keep these for now, I have the same template in other colors for later use, but these actually got most the votes, I also own a bridal store so wedding colors is a real part of my business, and these happened to be what my customers, brides, actually chose as colors they would like to see on the site.

The buy now button on each image would create so much clutter, besides in this line of business, brides always click into the actual product to read descriptions in regards to colors, sizes and to see better detail, no one really buys anything off of just seeing a small image, besides alot of my merchandise is personalized so they have to go in and read about personalization details, so in my case it wont do.

But thanks very much for your input, as all this input does help to see the publics reaction.

Jon

Jon Torres

President

«xcelprinting.com»

Portfolio

xcelprin.gif

Business Cards:

Postcards/Flyers:

The site I did was the first, and quite possibly last, OSC site that I made when I did it for my client. I never had worked with any PHP or CSS or anything else related to the entire setup before, and had learned everything I was able to accomplish through pure trial and error, as well as sheer stubborness.

I fancy myself a Designer, but for far less complex things than OSC, and obviously not on par with your Designer with PHP skill. I guess I am "Old School" html :)

I give them much deserved recognition for being able to accomplish what they did.

As far as the colors, I didnt say they didnt look good, it was just somewhat of a surprise to see that combination. If you do keep that color scheme, then you may want to consider altering the lavender buttons to be more in line with the rest of the colors, as they simply do not match with the co-ordinated setup.

I wish you Luck, and much prosperity!

One of these days, I will actually understand what I just changed...

But reading the Manual DEFINATELY helps...

Thanks, likewise. :-)

Jon

Jon Torres

President

«xcelprinting.com»

Portfolio

xcelprin.gif

Business Cards:

Postcards/Flyers:

I like it in general.

The Recently Viewed area, I would think would be my own recently reviewed items much like Ebay and Amazon does.

It worked now (the second time I went there), but the first time there was a few items in that area.

I am using I.E. 6, & Win2k

hmmm.....that is interesting, I notice sometimes when I go to the site myself there are items in there also, but items I have seen in a previous session...and many other times I notice it is empty when I 1st arrive to the site...

I fanyone else can test it out an let me know how it behaved for you.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon Torres

President

«xcelprinting.com»

Portfolio

xcelprin.gif

Business Cards:

Postcards/Flyers:

I love the design and colors -- very nice!

In your 'Shop by Price' dropdowns from the menu on the left, I think it would look better if they were in the same font size as the category listings are (Verdana/Arial 10pt) ? Looks like they're displaying at about a 12pt to me.

Don't have time to really get into the site, but first impressions are good -- and that's half the battle!

Best wishes for success!

TerryK

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

Simply I made my own design of the site and had someone adapt OSC to my template, instead of how 98% of other OSC users that keep the out of the box look add color, or add some flair to the info boxes....In my opinion that is not a professional site as it looks cheesy, so that is why I had someone make OSC work with "my" design, not make my design adapt to "osc's" look....how my developer pulled it off, well I guess you have to be savvy in coding, maybe find yourself a webdesigner, or buy a template and have someone install osc to work with the layout of the template/design.

I sorta hate when people say that out of the box oscommerce sites look cheesy and unprofessional....I sort of take offense to that too...mine is obviously an out of the box site and I'll NEVER be done changing it around and modifying it because I am constantly learning. This is my first install and I never read a book, went to school, or had any training on php, css, html, sql, perl, or anything. I'm happy with what I have so far. I'm lucky I even have a shop that works.

I won't say is unprofessional or cheesy to have an out of the box osCommerce store, but I do think that is important to make the difference especially if you line of products is heavily competed with good looking and quality web sites.

The osCommerce layout looks good, and is good enough to start your store and sell, but is hard to review or give an opinion in a forum like this when you are presenting something that everybody knows and doesn?t stand out.

No more outside links here!

Simply I made my own design of the site and had someone adapt OSC to my template, instead of how 98% of other OSC users that keep the out of the box look add color, or add some flair to the info boxes....In my opinion that is not a professional site as it looks cheesy, so that is why I had someone make OSC work with "my" design, not make my design adapt to "osc's" look....how my developer pulled it off, well I guess you have to be savvy in coding, maybe find yourself a webdesigner, or buy a template and have someone install osc to work with the layout of the template/design.

I sorta hate when people say that out of the box oscommerce sites look cheesy and unprofessional....I sort of take offense to that too...mine is obviously an out of the box site and I'll NEVER be done changing it around and modifying it because I am constantly learning. This is my first install and I never read a book, went to school, or had any training on php, css, html, sql, perl, or anything. I'm happy with what I have so far. I'm lucky I even have a shop that works.

DH,

Did you just come in here because you were offended? I hope you know "I too" do not have any training, as a matter of fact all I did was design my template. Bu t I have to say coming in here to not say anything nice is well...a waste of your time..

Anyways I was replying to someone else "compliment" & feedback, you in the other hand came in here, but did not mention anything relevant to the purpose of this thread.

Do like I did...pay someone to have a professional site, because the fact of the matter just installing OSC and adding your products and text and doing nothing else is not professional & 99% of the time no one will ever buy anything from the site, in the other hand I have seen several of OSC members sites that have been modified, still use alot of the infoboxes but yet look good because they still had lots of modifications....but as i stated "out of the box" sites are not in my taste, consider me or anyone who feels the same a "would be" customer...its a matter of image & credibility to your customers, if a company cant go as far as having a professional site, what makes me think its safe to shop there, if a company could not afford a webdesigner or developer, how can I be sure its a "safe" place to shop? Those are things to think of when developing your site, the site isnt for you its for your customers.

Well enough..."I sorta hate when people respond with irrelevant feedback"...but appreciate very much so the comments whether good or bad of those who actually take the time to look at my site and write about it....TX

Jon

Jon Torres

President

«xcelprinting.com»

Portfolio

xcelprin.gif

Business Cards:

Postcards/Flyers:

Terry, thanks for your feedback, that is actually a good idea. I appreciate your feedback...

Gary, likewise...(and i've read alot of your reviews to others sites...sigh, so I'm glad you like it :D )

Good examples of a "relevant" replies, not off topic.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon Torres

President

«xcelprinting.com»

Portfolio

xcelprin.gif

Business Cards:

Postcards/Flyers:

OK I have had a good look and I really like it.... and yes it'sm odded to absolute $h17 house..... very nice... very very nice indeed. Good job and good luck!

Is there any custom work in it or was it mainly built using existing contributions?

Dan

Archived