• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Article Manager v1.0

RobAnderson

7 hours ago, Fredi said:

Unfortunately, your latest version doesn't work very well.

If you mean it doesn't work well in the latest Phoenix version, that is probably true since it wasn't coded for it. But if you mean in the version it was coded for, I would need to know what "doesn't work very well" means since it works fine in all of the shops I've installed it in.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello Jack!

I am testing for version 1.0.7.10
Made minor changes for compatibility with the standard Phoenix CEO schema. I'm using the TinyMCE Hook. The administration's side was almost completely corrected. There are problems with displaying topics and articles on the site page. This is due to the new Phoenix template system, which you have to figure out on your own. Information on the template building scheme for serious modules, such as the Article Manager, is not freely available. I'm not allowed into the Phoenix Club.
Therefore, you have to do everything yourself.
I'm not sure if I will succeed, but I am trying to do it.

The reason I'm doing all this is because your latest version only works correctly in English. My attempt to add transcoding to UTF8, for example, to correctly display the short description of articles, was unsuccessful.
Jack, you did a great job. Thank you so much. But some things I need to work differently. Therefore, at my primitive level, I try to do it.

Working on the Article Manager forced me to study the Core Code in depth and in detail in order to understand how to work further.
The kernel is really well written and smart. But its main feature is the impossibility of using thousands of old modules created by the community for the OSC. Unfortunately, this problem remains. 2-3 people from the old development team are still in the Club and are doing work to adapt old modules. It's good.
But you and I are no longer in the club. We are denied access to information about Phoenix. Therefore, you have to dig into the code on your own and intuitively guess what tricks of the code the guys keep secret.
If I am able to adapt the Article Manager to the new standard kernel code, I will report it.

Support forum for osCommerce in russian language - from Ashkelon. Support since 2002.

Best regards,

Fredi

Thank You Jack.

The problems of adapting Article Manager to Phoenix does not give me the opportunity to transfer my existing stores to the Phoenix platform.

A wise marketing policy for promoting Phoenix - prohibiting access to information about Phoenix, hinders the possibility of using Phoenix as real software for actually operating stores.

The history of constant changes to the "UNCHANGEABLE" kernel code, in each new version breaks old modules that have been working in OSC for more than 10-15 years. The "STABLE" kernel code is constantly hard-coded. This has been going on for over a year.

Recent corrections have seriously changed the template system.
The idea is good. @ecartz a talented coder and he almost completely rewrote Phoenix in a new, modern style of programming. It's fine. But don't forget that thousands of stores continue to run on old code that is outdated. But there are thousands of modules written before. These modules need to be updated. This is difficult for a simple reason: the concept of changing the structure of the Phoenix code is not available.
The principle of building templates is not available.

The article manager needs to be adapted to the new template system. This is a complex process because the module includes many functions and pages. It is very difficult to do this without a clear understanding of the concept of building the new Phoenix templating system.

New features applied:  $group  ///   $module_key  ///  public function getContent($group)  ///
How to adapt this for the Article Manager? What files do you need to create? Where to place them? Hooks? includes/function/,  Or /versioned/    Or elsewhere?
Needed files?  database_articles_builder.php  cart_articles_builder.php  cart_topics_builder.php   cart_authors_builder.php  
I hope @ecartz will help and tell you about the correct application of the new functions and the template building system.

Support forum for osCommerce in russian language - from Ashkelon. Support since 2002.

Best regards,

Fredi

Unfortunately I have not received a response from the Phoenix CORE CODERS.
What reason?
Don't you have an answer? Do you know how to do this? Or does OpenSource not provide information about the code, its structure and the concept of specific software?

Thank you very much dear coders.

Best regards,

Fredi

@FrediThis is the support thread for an addon so even if Matt or Gary sees it, they may not respond here. You would need to post in the general forum and hope they will reply. 

However, I'm not sure your complaint is justified. I, and any addon developer, understands the frustration of having  broken addons due to changes in Phoenix. But this has always been the case with oscommerce. When Harald did away with filename and database defines, it broke all existing addons. And when Frozen was released, many addons had to be rewritten to work with it.

You need to keep in mind that those that support addons do so at their own expense in time. If you wanted to pay a developer to make the needed changes sooner, then I'm sure any would do that. But if you want a free update, then you have to wait until that programmer has time for it. It is the way oscommerce has always worked and hasn't changed much. I agree that having discussions on the code base hidden is the wrong approach and slows its development and popularity but it is what the ones in control have decided to do.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks a lot for answering Jack.

I know these guys won't give an answer. They have such a principle.

Harald's updates required a lot of work, but were very simple. Updating in connection with the transition to the SSL was also not very difficult. Updates related to changes in the PHP version were also not very difficult. Most of the users did all these updates themselves.

Order from professional coders. It is possible, but if you need 1-2 modules. When you need to update an old, large, multifunctional store in which there are many modules, everyone refuses such work. I made applications to almost all the leading coders of OsCommers, but everyone refused my order. I have kept the applications and answers to them in my archive. The main answer is "sorry, I have a lot of work and I don't have time to deal with your store ..."

The problem is big.

Today's concept - a stable breaking of the kernel code once a month, creates additional problems. Which coder would dare to adapt an existing store for a phoenix? What guarantees can the encoder give to the customer?

Nothing wrong. Life is a difficult and difficult path. We will go forward, even if there are artificial obstacles on the way.

Best regards,

Fredi