• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Article Manager v1.0

RobAnderson

Hi Flying Kites,

I am definitely viewing...And cant get tell a friend, or cross sell to work....And cant get anyone to help me either. The worst part is that I have even seen members on this board who have them working correctly on thier sites - I send them direct emails and can not even get them to respond to me. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm am looking for a way to have the Article.php show subcategories when the Parent category is clicked from the articles infobox.

I'm figuring it wouldn't be too complicated, but I scared to break it :-"

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible to have articles on index.php (like the newsdesk 1.48 contribution does) between "Welcome Guest" and "New products for May"?

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

just installed this addon and it is excellent!

There are a few small changes I'd like to make, and I'd be most grateful if anyone could suggest how:

1) I'm using 3 languages, but I only intend to wirte articles in English. How can I get rid of the article box if oscommerce is being viewed in french or german?

I'd also like to get rid of the french and german flags in the language box when any of the article pages are being displayed, since I haven't installed the german files, and I can't find a french translation, and I currently get an include() error if I try to view any articles in any language other than English. Can anyone suggest how?

2) Is there any way of generating a list of subcategories and articles in category? Some of my categories are empty except for another subcategory that contains articles. It would be nice to have a large subcategory/article list underneath the description. I know I could do this by hand, but then it would need updating every time I add an article.

3) The top-right corner of the article box (included in column_left.php) is rounded. How can I make it square, like all the other boxes, part from the top one? I'm sure this is very simple but I can't work it out!

Many thanks in advance!

Right, in case anyone else was trying to do the same thing, I worked out 3):

To get a square sided info box:

in includes/boxes/articles.php, find (around line 74)

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, true, false);

and change to

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, false, false);

I've also worked out half of 1) - getting rid of article box in french and german, as articles are only in English, putting this at the very top of includes/boxes/articles.php

if ($language !="english") {

// don't display articles box

} else {

and this at the very bottom, after <!-- topics_eof //--> :

<?php

} // end English lanaguage filter

?>

Still don't know how to deactivate the link on the german and french flags when viewing articles in English, though!

I've solved the flag problem, although it's very messy and I'm sure there's a better way to do it.

But if anyone's interested, here's my 'bodge':

add to the top of all article pages in /catalog/ (articles.php, article_reviews.php, article_reviews_info.php, etc.)

$check_for_english_for_articles = "remove language links on articles pages";

then in includes/boxes/languages.php, find

$languages_string = '';

reset($lng->catalog_languages);

while (list($key, $value) = each($lng->catalog_languages)) {

$languages_string .= ' <a href="' . tep_href_link(basename($PHP_SELF), tep_get_all_get_params(array('language', 'currency')) . 'language=' . $key, $request_type) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES .  $value['directory'] . '/images/' . $value['image'], $value['name']) . '</a> ';

}

and replace with

$languages_string = '';

reset($lng->catalog_languages);

while (list($key, $value) = each($lng->catalog_languages)) {

if (!isset($check_for_english_for_articles)) { // remove language links on article pages

$languages_string .= ' <a href="' . tep_href_link(basename($PHP_SELF), tep_get_all_get_params(array('language', 'currency')) . 'language=' . $key, $request_type) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES .  $value['directory'] . '/images/' . $value['image'], $value['name']) . '</a> ';

} else {  // remove language links on article pages

$languages_string .= tep_image(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES .  $value['directory'] . '/images/' . $value['image'], 'Sorry, articles are only available in English ; Traurig, sind Artikel auf englisch nur vorhanden ; D?sol?s, les articles sont seulement visualisables en anglais.') . ' ';

} // remove language links on article pages

}

Hope that might be some use to someone, but if anyone can suggest a better way, please be my guest.

Hi..

I just installed article manager v1.2b on oscommerce 2.2ms2.

php version 4 and mysql version 4.1.7.

I have imported the article_manager_sql.txt into my database and no warnings.

but when im entering catalog/articles_new.php I get the following error:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-10, 10' at line 1

select ad.articles_name from articles a left join authors au on (a.authors_id = au.authors_id), articles_description ad where a.articles_status = '1' and a.articles_id = ad.articles_id and ad.language_id = '1' order by a.articles_date_added DESC, ad.articles_name limit -10, 10

[TEP STOP]

I tried the SQL command directly in the mysql commandline and it fails there too.

I thought all new mysql version should have backwards compatability so I dont understand why it would fail.

When removing ", ad.articles_name limit -10, 10" from the query it works fine.

Trying to fix it in the source but I cant find where it does the limit stuff.

Are there any bugfixes out or is it me messing something up?

I have the same warnings on the adminside under "Authors" and "Reviews"

Thanks.

Best Martin

COuld somebody please tell me WHICH file I should download to install this?

Theres a whole list of them, I'm assuming I will need a basic install and then to install the bug fixes one by one? Is there not an updated install with all the bugs fixed?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to get this article manager to work. Everything is installed ok, but when I click on new articles or all articles I get a clean_html_comments error.

I read through the forum answers here and I remedied these error by putting

require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'clean_html_comments.php');

in the application_top.php.

Now my last issue involces clicking on the article page itself. When I click on the article page it goes to http://www.mysite.com/products/article_inf...p/articles_id/1.

The articles_id/1 part is incorrect. This page does not exist. I have Search Engine Friendly URL installed on this site, and I assume this is causing the error.

Has anyone seen this error or know the fix for this? It should be going to http://www.mysite.com/products/article_inf...p?articles_id=1.

I'm one / away from success. Any ideas?

Hi All!

I was wondering if anyone has manged to develop a page where customers can submit an article? In particular i am hoping that some one has managed to develop something where customers can submit images as well.

ugottasalsa

I was wondering if you could release some of your code. You stated you completed the following:

Here are the feature enhancements I have accomplished so far...

1. I have created an Main Articles Page which acts as an entry into the Articles system.

2. Main Article Page contains the following...

* Full Main Topic / Sub-Topic listing

* You can choose Text or Image display style for the Main Topic / Sub-Topic listing via setting in Admin

* Most Popular Articles (how many can be set in Admin)

* Featured Articles (settings in Admin for which Articles and how many are displayed)

* Author Showcase displaying info about Author and his/her image

All above features are moduler and can be turned on and off in Admin

* Link to list ALL Articles

3. Added Image field to Topics

4. Added additional fields to the Author

5. Added character limit to the Articles so it will split the pages if the Article happens to be long. This way, if the Article is long, the page won't also get long. A page link has been added to continue the next page of the Article.

Sharing this will help the comunity grow!!!

cheers,

Ed.

Ok, I'm stumped. I've used this contribution before and never had a problem.

But for some reason this install is weird.

In admin, when I click on Article Manager it's trying to go to

/admin/FILENAME_ARTICLES?selected_box=articles

Notice it says FILENAME_ARTICLES instead of articles.php?

I double checked the filenames.php and it looks correct in there, but it just won't pull the correct address in.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Bishop

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone manage to make a full list of articles separated by topics? Kind of like the box articles-topic.php but with the articles listed and linked as well...

Category 1

topic 1

name of the article #1

name of the article #2

topic 2

name of the article #1

name of the article #2

name of the article #3

Category 2

topic 1

name of the article #1

name of the article #2

With the articles names linked to the articles? :blush:

That would save tons of clicks till the users gets to the article itself.

PrettyWolfie, u could maybe tke a look at the contribution " broswe by categories" if is for product categories, but it would do exactly what u need if you change the code ...

MS2

• 3 weeks later...
would anyone happen to know what i'd need to do to get rid of this warning message.

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/user1110/public_html/Cart/includes/filenames.php:74) in /home/user1110/public_html/Cart/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 67

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/user110/public_html/Cart/includes/filenames.php:74) in /home/user1110/public_html/Cart/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 67

cause it's totally beyond me. 

Also the last step in the Readme.text says that I've got to

Open catalog/includes/languages/english/article_header_tags.php

IF YOU DO have the Header Tags Controller contribution installed:

- Replicate the global details from header_tags.php into the indented section at the top of the page, e.g. site e-mail address, title, keywords and description.

IF YOU DO NOT have the Header Tags Controller contribution installed:

- Complete the global details in the indented section at the top of the page, e.g. site e-mail address, title, keywords and description.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

/**** SPANISH TRADUCTION START ****/

Open catalog/includes/languages/espanol/article_header_tags.php

IF YOU DO have the Header Tags Controller contribution installed:

- Replicate the global details from header_tags.php into the indented section at the top of the page, e.g. site e-mail address, title, keywords and description.

IF YOU DO NOT have the Header Tags Controller contribution installed:

- Complete the global details in the indented section at the top of the page, e.g. site e-mail address, title, keywords and description.

/**** SPANISH TRADUCTION END ****/

Does the fact that I have no clue what that means have anything to do with the Warning message I'm getting?  I know that I don't have "Header Tags Controller contributions" installed.  I have just a plain ole OSC uploaded without any modifications.  Haven't even gone into the admin side to customize content and preferences in any way.

Everything was so super-easy till I got to the final step and now--I'm stumped.  Can anyone help?  Please...

force of life, the error "header tags already sent" is being caused by a space after the ending php tag "?>" Open the file in your editor and make sure the cursor is after the tag and just press delete to remove the extra lines. Save the file, then the error should disappear

PhilPoxon

I made it through the entire forum here and have not found an answer that works. This is my issue as I have seen stated before. I have STS, HTC, Ult-URL installed and I get a:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: clean_html_comments() in /var/www/html/includes/article_header_tags.php on line 134

when I click on New Articles

and

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: clean_html_comments() in /var/www/html/articles.php on line 350

when I click on All Articles

and

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: clean_html_comments() in /var/www/html/includes/article_header_tags.php on line 104

when I click on an article I posted. All worked well until I posted an article.

This is line 350 from articles.php in the second error

<td class="main" style="padding-left:15px"><?php echo clean_html_comments(substr($articles_all['articles_head_desc_tag'],0, MAX_ARTICLE_ABSTRACT_LENGTH)) . ((strlen($articles_all['articles_head_desc_tag']) >= MAX_ARTICLE_ABSTRACT_LENGTH) ? '...' : ''); ?></td>

I tried entering; require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'clean_html_comments.php');

in the application_top.php to no avail. I put it at the end of the file and in the middle. Can someone provide a step by step fix.

Laser labels, barcode labels, custom labels

No response yet? Well, I have been working down the path of adding this to application_top.php

// articles fix

if (function_exists('clean_html_comments')) {

????(???);

}

but am not sure what to put into the ???? area to get this to null out. Any Help?

I am starting to think that I am invisible.... Has anyone looked at the issue I posted above? I am in desperate need of help.

hi,

has anyone made the ability to upload say an image for each article, sorta like how you would for a product, and then maybe display the image next to a short description of the article on the mainpage.

I am wanting to do this but I dont have the php skills. I havent used article manager since way back when 1.1 came out.

Let me know if anyone has come up with something to use on the mainpage.

thanks

kristofor

Don't die with the music in you!!!

Failure is just another boundary to sucess!!! But that doesn't mean your getting somewhere...

Hello!

I got a problem :huh:

Everything works fine, except the articles are not showing. I can create them in admin and they get stored in the database, however they just aint showing up.

I get "There are currently no articles listed." and "No new articles have been added in the last 30 days."

What could possible be wrong? I have double checked the installment several times and everything seems to be corrects.