• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Article Manager v1.0

RobAnderson

As for test 1.57_6 installed on top of stock OSC 2.3.1. with Header Tags SEO V 3.2.6. The addon appears in admin, it's possible to define authors and configure it. Trying to enter topics/articles however returns the error:

As alexnut mentioned I've changed the database engine from MyISAM to InnoDB, but it doesn't fix it. And it's not a fault of any modification of your code as I've used DOT files for both contributions. Any ideas?

Did you try the fix that was posted for that problem?

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Did you try the fix that was posted for that problem?

Jack, do you mean this?:

The following SQL worked.

SELECT *

FROM `topics`

LIMIT 0 , 30

There was a NULL row in the topics table! Looks like a great addon thanks Jack!

If so, I'm not a coder, or sql professional - does it mean that I should delete this empty row once selected from the table? If so, why it's not corrected simply in original sql update file?

Kind regards

Szymon

Jack, do you mean this?:

If so, I'm not a coder, or sql professional - does it mean that I should delete this empty row once selected from the table? If so, why it's not corrected simply in original sql update file?

I don't know if that is the fix or not without looking it up. The problem has been fixed in the latest update but it requires someone on the oscommerce team to enable it and they haven't done so.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

in the installation instructions there is this:

In includes/application_top.php,

FIND:

/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

ADD BENEATH:

/**** BEGIN ARTICLE MANAGER ****/

// include the articles functions

require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'articles.php');

// calculate topic path

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['tPath'])) {

$tPath = $HTTP_GET_VARS['tPath'];

} elseif (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['articles_id']) && !isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['authors_id'])) {

$tPath = tep_get_article_path($HTTP_GET_VARS['articles_id']);

} else {

$tPath = '';

}

if (tep_not_null($tPath)) {

$tPath_array = tep_parse_topic_path($tPath);

$tPath = implode('_', $tPath_array);

$current_topic_id = $tPath_array[(sizeof($tPath_array)-1)];

} else {

$current_topic_id = 0;

}

if (isset($_GET['articles_id'])) {

$articlesPage = FILENAME_ARTICLE_INFO . "?articles_id=" . $_GET['articles_id'];

$pageTags_query = tep_db_query("select page_name, page_title from " . TABLE_HEADERTAGS . " where page_name like '" . $articlesPage . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "' LIMIT 1");

if (tep_db_num_rows($pageTags_query) == 1) {

$pageTags = tep_db_fetch_array($pageTags_query);

$breadcrumb->add('Articles', tep_href_link(FILENAME_ARTICLES));

$breadcrumb->add($pageTags['page_title'], tep_href_link($articlesPage));

}

}

/**** END ARTICLE MANAGER ****/

I do not have a "/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/" in my application top.

Any suggestions on whereelse to put it.

I have 2.3.1 installed.

Thanks

in the installation instructions there is this:

In includes/application_top.php,

I do not have a "/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/" in my application top.

Any suggestions on whereelse to put it.

I have 2.3.1 installed.

If you are using Article Manager V 1_57, one of the requirements is to have Header Tags SEO installed. So you need to install that contribution.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

I think this contribution may solve a requirement I have on my site - can someone either post or pm me a link to a store that uses it so I can see it in action at the front end?

Many Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Hello, Jack!

For both 1.57_6 and 1.57_7 file admin/articles.php, is it necessary to have the following statement after line 688 to have a GUI "drop-down calendar"?

<div id="spiffycalendar"></div>

My environment is osc2.3.1+Header_Tag_V3.2.6

crying.gif

YaNotCook !!

For both 1.57_6 and 1.57_7 file admin/articles.php, is it necessary to have the following statement after line 688 to have a GUI "drop-down calendar"?

<div id="spiffycalendar"></div>

My environment is osc2.3.1+Header_Tag_V3.2.6

I don't have a test shop setup with 2.3 at the moment but that line is required in previous versions and I don't think the date code changed so my guess is that it is needed.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks for your reply, Jack!

If the statement is missed, the text entry box is blank and data enter cannot work properly.

The GUI calendar will show-up and accept data properly after the statement is inserted.

blush.gif

I don't have a test shop setup with 2.3 at the moment but that line is required in previous versions and I don't think the date code changed so my guess is that it is needed.

YaNotCook !!

• 2 weeks later...

I think there may be a "}" missing from this code but I'm not sure where to place it. I get a syntax error which points to the closing ?> at the end of the page.

This is in the catalog/tell_a_friend.php file and is pasted directly from the instructions:

if ($error == false) {
     // Modify e-mail depending on whether prodect or article
     // if product
     if ($valid_product) {
       $email_subject = sprintf(TEXT_EMAIL_SUBJECT, $from_name, STORE_NAME);
       $email_body = sprintf(TEXT_EMAIL_INTRO, $to_name, $from_name, $product_info['products_name'], STORE_NAME) . "\n\n";

Does there need to be a "}" below the "n\n";

I think there may be a "}" missing from this code but I'm not sure where to place it. I get a syntax error which points to the closing ?> at the end of the page.

This is in the catalog/tell_a_friend.php file and is pasted directly from the instructions:

if ($error == false) {
     // Modify e-mail depending on whether prodect or article
     // if product
     if ($valid_product) {
       $email_subject = sprintf(TEXT_EMAIL_SUBJECT, $from_name, STORE_NAME);
       $email_body = sprintf(TEXT_EMAIL_INTRO, $to_name, $from_name, $product_info['products_name'], STORE_NAME) . "\n\n";

Does there need to be a "}" below the "n\n";

There is a set of completed files in the package. You can use a program like WinMerge to compare the two to find such problems.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to use the latest version (1.57_7) by jack - so I get all the fixes etc since the last major release of 1.5.6 waaaaaay back in 2008. BUT I dont want to use header SEO for my page/keyword SEO naming. I've already got a mod that does that fine!

How can I get round this - can I install header SEO mod without actually making it 'active' ? Or can I just use 1.57 anyway and have the SEO part not work very well (how bad would it be?) ? How much work would it be exactly to modify 1.57 so that it doesn't place these dependancies on people?

(I really appreciate all the effort you've put in Jack, but I do have to say Im not a big fan of people taking contributions and forcing them in another direction, especially when it means mandating the use of other mods which are their own as well. They then become unusable to alot of people.) Aside from those thoughts - youve done a brilliant job :P ) Thanks.

Edited by kevinb456

I would like to use the latest version (1.57_7) by jack - so I get all the fixes etc since the last major release of 1.5.6 waaaaaay back in 2008. BUT I dont want to use header SEO for my page/keyword SEO naming. I've already got a mod that does that fine!

How can I get round this - can I install header SEO mod without actually making it 'active' ? Or can I just use 1.57 anyway and have the SEO part not work very well (how bad would it be?) ? How much work would it be exactly to modify 1.57 so that it doesn't place these dependancies on people?

(I really appreciate all the effort you've put in Jack, but I do have to say Im not a big fan of people taking contributions and forcing them in another direction, especially when it means mandating the use of other mods which are their own as well. They then become unusable to alot of people.) Aside from those thoughts - youve done a brilliant job :P ) Thanks.

No, version 1.57 requires Header Tags SEO. As for taking a contribution and forcing them in another direction, that is why I started a different version. You are not required to use version 1.57. The other version was basically dead though, as you stated. I don't have time to support two versions (I'm usually just behind on the one) and I realized that not every shop owner would want to install Header Tags SEO so there really wasn't any other choice than doing it like I did. You, or anyone else, are free to upgrade that version though. It uses the old Header Tag Controller, which never did work properly and certainly won't now, so there's quite a bit of work involved in getting it converted and make it worthwhile for the search engines. But if you are using one of the other meta tags contributions, it is just providing rudimentary SEO (they are all the same) so optimizing the title and tags probably won't be important to you anyway.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

No, version 1.57 requires Header Tags SEO. As for taking a contribution and forcing them in another direction, that is why I started a different version. You are not required to use version 1.57. The other version was basically dead though, as you stated. I don't have time to support two versions (I'm usually just behind on the one) and I realized that not every shop owner would want to install Header Tags SEO so there really wasn't any other choice than doing it like I did. You, or anyone else, are free to upgrade that version though. It uses the old Header Tag Controller, which never did work properly and certainly won't now, so there's quite a bit of work involved in getting it converted and make it worthwhile for the search engines. But if you are using one of the other meta tags contributions, it is just providing rudimentary SEO (they are all the same) so optimizing the title and tags probably won't be important to you anyway.

Sorry, Header Tags SEO is what I meant, I didn't navigate back to see the full name.

Thanks for your reply and the information.

I do have to disagree with your reasoning though - once someone has released a new version more often than not that is the one that gets taken forward and updated by other people (yes, people are free to choose whatever version they want but human nature means they dont! - its usually the latest upload that gets built upon and has fixes incorporated into it).

If previous versions contain a different way of doing things, then that gets lost as they become outdated. And making a 'new version' doesn't mean anything (every single upload is a new version). You acknowledged that not every shop owner would want to install Header Tags SEO so hopefully you can see that by taking the contribution in this direction it is now unusable to that group of people.

In any case, please dont take to heart - but hopefully you will consider this view and take it on board for future changes.

To the practicalities - If I install version 1.57 as it is (with Header Tags SEO) - will the Header Tags SEO mod interfere with my rudimentary other SEO contribution (it was the FWR media one I installed if i recall correctly)? Im just asking this because Im not 100% clear what Header Tags SEO does (title, description, keyword tags etc for all pages Im guessing? but specified explicitly instead of 'guessing' - I realise this is far more useful for articles where certain keywords are being targetted)

Cheers

Edited by kevinb456

I do have to disagree with your reasoning though - once someone has released a new version more often than not that is the one that gets taken forward and updated by other people (yes, people are free to choose whatever version they want but human nature means they dont! - its usually the latest upload that gets built upon and has fixes incorporated into it).

Please keep in mind that Article Manager was not, and is not, one of my contributions. If it had been, then I would change it as I want and there wouldn't be any confusion. But since it wasn't, I had the choice of fixing the problem with the 1.56 version and not using Header Tags SEO or creating a new version and use Header Tags SEO. Since the first option would have meant leaving the Header Tags Controller code in place and since the Header Tags Controller contribution has not been undated in over three years, it seems silly to even consider that approach. Also, since Article Manager always used the Header Tags Controller and the Header Tags Controller had been replaced with Header Tags SEO, it seemed an obvious progression. Why release something with broken code that would not be fixed, after all? Maintaining both was out of the question. Not only for the reason just mentioned but because I don't have the time to do it. I understand what you are saying about splitting it and I generally agree. But in this case there wasn't any other option.

If previous versions contain a different way of doing things, then that gets lost as they become outdated. And making a 'new version' doesn't mean anything (every single upload is a new version). You acknowledged that not every shop owner would want to install Header Tags SEO so hopefully you can see that by taking the contribution in this direction it is now unusable to that group of people.

The differences between my version and the origiinal are mostly coding fixes and replacing the code for an outdated and unsportted contribution with one that is supported. The previous version needed the Header Tags Controller to work properly. It was not required but by skipping it, you lost one of the SEO advantages

In any case, please dont take to heart - but hopefully you will consider this view and take it on board for future changes.

I understand what you are saying and am not upset in any way. But I'll only make future changes to my version. Otherwise I create another job I don't need. As with any contribution, if a person doesn't like the existing version, they can choose not to use it. I could upload my version under a different support thread to avoid any confusion. But, realistically, if someone were going to upgrade the 1.56 version, they would have done so already. I think it is pretty clear that is a dead version.

To the practicalities - If I install version 1.57 as it is (with Header Tags SEO) - will the Header Tags SEO mod interfere with my rudimentary other SEO contribution (it was the FWR media one I installed if i recall correctly)? Im just asking this because Im not 100% clear what Header Tags SEO does (title, description, keyword tags etc for all pages Im guessing? but specified explicitly instead of 'guessing' - I realise this is far more useful for articles where certain keywords are being targetted)

There are 10 or more contributions meant for handling titles and meta tags. All of them, last I checked, do that. Some allow dynamic keyword creation, which is a big mistake, while others allow setting them in admin. Once that is done, that's it. Header Tags SEO does that as well as providing other SEO changes, like category and maufacturers descriptions. It allows complete control over the title and tags, unlike some of the other contributions. In the next version, there will be even more differences. All aimed at the total SEO of a site, not just the title and tags. But most importantly, in relation to this contribution, it allows you to setup the title and tags for non-physical pages that contributions like this create. If you are serious about the SEO of your shop, Header Tags SEO is the only choice. If you just want a way to control your title and tags, throw a dart and pick one of the others.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 3 weeks later...

I installed Headertags SEO and after that installed Articles Manager V.1.57_7

I got it installed ok but after i added one author in the admin and went to write a test article i got this error under the "check for updates" button on the right.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) inC:\xampp\htdocs\oscom\admin\includes\functions\articles.phpon line 52

The line it's referring to is here

if ($exclude != $topics['topics_id']) $topic_tree_array[] = array('id' => $topics['topics_id'], 'text' => $spacing . $topics['topics_name']);

Any idea what is causing this?

I installed Headertags SEO and after that installed Articles Manager V.1.57_7

I got it installed ok but after i added one author in the admin and went to write a test article i got this error under the "check for updates" button on the right.

The line it's referring to is here

Any idea what is causing this?

The update code doesn't have anything to do with the actual code so that can't be at fault. It does cause a page refresh though so my guess is that you haven't installed/setup something correctly. I've no idea what that might be though since no one has reported such a problem with the latest version.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello ,

Thank you for this nice contribution. I was wondering if someone could tell me how to add the article image or article description to the product_info.php?

I tried to change the querry in articles_pxsell.php but my skills are to limited.

If someone could help me it would be really great.

Thanks a lot

I tried to install this now on a fresh installation of 2.3.1. First i put in the Headertags SEO and after that Articlemanager, and i got the same error. I am obviously doing something wrong but i followed the instructions very carefully and i can think of anything that i might have done wrong.

The guide says to "go to modules and install the boxes" but there are no boxes there that have anything to do with the add-on. Under the modules folder i do have this articles_pseudo.php but it's not showing anywhere in the admin.

error.jpg

This is what is says when i try to go to make a new article.

What might i be doing wrong?

Edited by Driamer

I tried to install this now on a fresh installation of 2.3.1. First i put in the Headertags SEO and after that Articlemanager, and i got the same error. I am obviously doing something wrong but i followed the instructions very carefully and i can think of anything that i might have done wrong.

The guide says to "go to modules and install the boxes" but there are no boxes there that have anything to do with the add-on. Under the modules folder i do have this articles_pseudo.php but it's not showing anywhere in the admin.

This is what is says when i try to go to make a new article.

What might i be doing wrong?

I don't know what the problem might be.but when you say there aren't any boxes in the modules/boxes directory, it seems to indicate you have made an installation mistake since I just checked the version I uploaded and there are two there, three if you included the Header Tags box. perhaps you using the wrong version when you do an install?

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I have installed this add-on 3 times on my localhost, 3 times on 2 different domains and every time i get the same error and am unable to create any articles. There has to be something obvious that i am missing and isn't included in the steps of the installation guide..

I have tried on fresh installs of OsC 2.3.1 with manual install and the file install.

Do i need to make change any permissions or is there some configure file somewhere that i have missed?

I tried several times using phpmyadmin and the article_manager_update_configure.php file.

I was able to install the boxes eventually, but when i do my page won't show at all.. Most likely part of the same problem.

The error is still this:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 15085 bytes) in/home/u31076/public_html/secret/admin/includes/functions/articles.phpon line 53

I get this error when i'm in admin and press the article manager-->topics/articles

Do you have any suggestions where i should be looking?

Hi

Installed both, the SEO Header Tags and the Article Manager on OsC 2.3.1 (quite modified shop) today and it works a treat, thank you Jacks_mcs

I just have a cosmetic question, i noticed after the last install which was the Article manager, my shop page has moved from the center of the screen, just wondering which file i could of messed up would make this change after the alterations i've made with article manager instuctions, just thought i would ask incase somebody else has the same problem

Thanks for all your hard work, its an amazing contrib

Edited by clippers

I used Articles Manager 1.57_7 and Header Tags_SEO_V_3.2.6 with a modified verison of Osc 3.2.1,

You wouldnt happen to know which page i need to change to get the shop layout back to the center, had no problem putting this together but one little cosmetic thing had me stumped lol

when i switch the article module off the shop goes back to the center of the screen.

I used Articles Manager 1.57_7 and Header Tags_SEO_V_3.2.6 with a modified verison of Osc 3.2.1,

You wouldnt happen to know which page i need to change to get the shop layout back to the center, had no problem putting this together but one little cosmetic thing had me stumped lol